SlotForum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Saturday started the build of my new tip up track.

Stole all the tip up idea from Rallyhubs great work. Table is 4' * 16' and is built with 6" strips of plywood screwed and glued to 8" pieces of MDF on the front and sides. I built the table in 2 sections with 2 8' sections joined with a laminated beam in the middle to take up the strength.

Yesterday I drew out the track on the MDF and tonight I am having the boys over to vote on the layout.

The track is based on Suzuka and has all the corners from Suzuka in it. We are putting in the elevation changes too for all the corners. What is open for debate is the chicane that is right before the front straight. If we leave it out you have a 18' or so straight, but if you blow it on corner 1 you will be calling raceworld on Monday for a new car.

I will take photos tonight of the layout and table.

The lane spacing is 7 1/2"'s which will allow 3 1/2"s between lanes which should allow for 1/24th scale (tried it with a couple of my models and they will be close, but it the straights I can open the spacing a little more too.

Oh yeah, the other thing up for debate is the "squeeze" corners (I prefer race line). We are putting them on the hair pin and I would like to have them on all the corners as Petit Spa is my favourite track to look at on slot forum.

The tracks power system is Scalextric Pro Digital with a Slave powerbase too.

All lane changers will be routed right in the wood and the flippers are being cut with a cnc machine and will not be anywhere near as long as scalextrics current flippers.

Oh yeah, copper for the rails and not braid. We are also going to make 2 sections that we can change in and out to alter the layout, but they will come after we get back to racing.

Scenic stuff - we are going to remove all non-necessary MDF and replace it will foam board (you see it a lot here used to build the walls of houses with lately) and then joint compound. I have to be able to lift this sucker as this is where I train in the winter too. But nothing too crazy, pits, grandstands and corner gravel - sand should be about it.

Thanks
Steve

oh yeah - we don't have a name yet.

Taxi - pit wall computer stands still for sale?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Definately looking forward to the photos mate!

I haven't included any squeeze sections in my layout (link in sig), but I'm attempting to make the lanes look like they're taking the racing line by painting the track wider on the outside of corners and narrower on the inside... ie. 2" from the inside edge to the first lane. 4" between the two lanes and 6" from the second lane to the outside edge of the track surface.

Not perfect I know, but it should help with the illusion, and it sure made the routing less complicated!

Cheers,

Doug

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright,

So, I couldn't find our camera, waited for the wife to get back from a conference. Found out I probably left the camera in the camping trailer which I have put away for the winter. Guess we are getting a new camera. Anyway, took photos this morning with my Treo. They are crap, but you can see some of the lines and the length of the table.

I am off on Friday so I'll pop out and get a new camera. With any luck I will get the elevations and routing done this weekend so I can cut out the extra MDF and prime (seal) the wood before I put on the final coat of paint and lay the tape.

Suggestions or comments always welcome.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.