SlotForum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have started to build a mini van as my new project (i say new as i have so many unfinished projects) but this i am determined to finnish this one i have aready put the cut body on a jig (it is currently lengthened correctly) but all i need to do now is join it but solidly and then fill it do you have any suggestions on how i could do this as i have attempted things like this before but they have been horrible failures!!!

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Minimental

I take it that you have lengthened the minivan in the roof area?.....What is the body made of?......If resin or plastic I would cut support strips from Plasticard and fix on the inside of the shell along the inside of the "van" section and beneath the roof. I would use two part epoxy resin as an adhesive, Araldite or similar.

I would then just taper the edges of the two halves to be joined, which will form a slight V shape. Fill this with a filler, I always use "Chip & Dent" from Halfords, a 1:1 car repair product.

Allow the whole thing to set for at least 24hrs and then lightly sand to a good finish, making good any surface details with a scriber or craft knife.

When you paint, use a good quality primer first, I normaly use (if filler is involved), a grey coat and then fill/sand any imperfectiions I may have missed, and then a white coat.

Best of luck, sounds like a great project.

Regards

Alan

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks beejay it is actually a mini saloon shell so i have lenghtened the whole thing
it is an early airfix mini plastic body this makes the project a lot harder, i was also wondering how to shape the back end?

·
Registered
284 Posts
minimental

Your main problem will be the material that the body is made of. Use the method described by Beejay and join the two halves together with strips of placticard on the inside. If araldite, superglue or whatever will hold the strips to the body then you can proceed, it's a case of trial and error with some bodies. I've found some of Scalextrics early soft plastic bodies can only be repaired with the use of a soldering iron as no glue will stick to them. Try not to have any joins in the roof, van panels or mini body in the same place (like house bricks overlap so they give extra support to each other.)

When I made my pickup once the body parts were firm I filled the resulting gap with plasticard and used a model filler to fill the gaps and smooth the surface.

·
Registered
284 Posts
minimental (was writing earlier comment when you posted your second comment)

Excuse my ignorance on minis but are all the side panels flat? I seem to remember that the rear doors are.

It might be easier to model the whole of the rear of the car, from the back of the front doors, out of Plasticard, cut out the wheel arch and fit to the front rather than trying to use the back end of the mini itself.

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Minimental

I didn't realise you were going to use an old Mini shell.....That is a difficult project.

If the shell is the old "oily" type of plastic it is almost impossible to get anything to stick to it. When I worked on my Ferrari P3 the ONLY adhesive that worked was Araldite.

I agree with Jak that I would junk the rear of the car and build up the bottom half of the bodywork with plasticard. Using flat strips overlay new layers each smaller than the last until you grt the basic shape, then use filler and shape to the right curvature. The top half of the bodywork and the doors can be flat Plasticard. This is a very difficult Project.

I have seen some Mini Pickup shells on here and it might be easier to get hold of one of those and then all you would have to do would be to make the van sides and doors.

Best of luck to you!.

Regards

Alan

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
Hi Minimental, (and daleg will probably be interested too)

At Bishops Stortford swappie last month I had a chat with Steve De Havilland ( of Traffic model cars/bmc32/Highway32 ) and he gave me a sneak preview of some of his next releases. Guess what one of them is?

In case you didn't know, he already does the little Mini "fastback" you use for your avatar. I think it's the same, anyway!

Mr.M

PS I had a phone call Tuesday, telling me you won your first club night at Bolwextric. Well done!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Classic Minis (bmc32) ...

In case anyone out there is interested -

mini [classic] variations in the bmc32 series are [1] riley elf mk III, [2] broadspeed mini gt 2+2 ,[3] era mini turbo, [4] mini clubman + 1275gt ...

Next issue will be Mini Pick-Up (late november 2004), Mini Van (december 2004) ...

mini pick-up from bmc32.co.uk

after that Mini Traveller, Mini Ice Cream Van, Wolseley Hornet ...

There are also plans for these to be released as statics, as (to date) it seems that more people collect static 1:32 stuff like this than this era of slot cars ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
QUOTE (minimental @ 14 Oct 2004, 17:43)Fine i might just give up with making a mini van shell if one of that quality is just about to be made

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

genuinely sorry minimental, didn't mean to rain on your parade, just providing clarification after mr_material's earlier post...

have you EVER seen a real broadspeed mini 2+2 gt ?

apparantly it was designed to look like a mini aston martin db6 - reckon that you can see that looking at the back end !

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i am not worried as long as a mini pickup and van are made!
i have never seen a broadspeed 2+2 but from the pictures i have seen they look really good

1 - 12 of 12 Posts