Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone got a really good picture of the underside of one of these cars??? My boss has some track but no cars and is hoping to adapt some AFX (or similar) cars to run on it..............any good websites would be good, cos I know you guys are fantastic at finding this stuff out!!!!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok will do, but where has he disappeared too????

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Quite a strong similarity to the original Scalextric 'gimbal' pick-up guides.
What I had not realised was that they were side-winders! A very early example of this configuration, making one wonder whose idea side-winding really was . . .

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
The two systems are so different there is no way you would get AFX cars to run on Minic track.
Why not just get some AFX style track, people virtually give it away it is so worthless.
I have probably got a couple of boxes of the stuff here somewhere, welcome to it if you wanna pick it up.

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
I wonder why Minic insisted on having this 330GTC racing against Vettes and E-Types on their adverts... not really a racing car, just a luxurious boulevard cruiser for Italian and American movie stars. Is there ANY known instance of ANYONE racing a 330GTC except on the highway?

·
Registered
446 Posts
My uncle and dad had a Minic Motorways set in the mid to late '60's. They wouldn't be able to help you out though; they just bought the set for the fun of racing the cars now and again.
In that era, i dont think many people were into modifying their cars as much as we do now. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm only 13 so I am just trying to make a Hypothesis. One annoying thing about old Slot cars is the lack of detail, there would be one plain colour, no working lights, and just the odd decal on the car. Take a look on Ebay and you will see what I mean.

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
Hi Mr. Max!
Actually, people were modifying their cars a lot more than now, because one HAD to since most cars did not run so well to begin with... The 1960's were the age of scratchbuilding. It is still being done, but nowhere in the way it was then. As an example, today you can buy right off the shelf, every part you need. In the old days and to be competitive, one had to build his own chassis, and often the wheels, tires, entire motors including grinding your own magnets, and... the body.
Today is a very blessed era as virtually anything you need is just a question of spending the money.
At 13, you sound pretty sharp. Keep it up!
Kind regards,

Doc Pea

1 - 12 of 12 Posts