SlotForum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

A few weeks ago I re-discovered my love for slotracing. Reading a lot of helpfull threads in this forum, I finaly picked SSD as my favourite track-system.

I have seen lots of nice layouts, but I worry about one thing: space. I have my own room down in our house, so I can build a permanent track on a table. Beeing 40+ and overweight, I´m not willing to crawl over the floor to put a car back on track after desloting.
Nevertheless my space is limited, in fact I have room for a 2m x 3m table (wich is 5 x 9 feet I guess).

Now to my one and only question: Does slotcar racing make sense on a table like this? I know, that you can do it, but is it longlasting fun to race on a track lick this for years?

Be honest with me, I can stand the truth.
The alternative is building a racetrack in HO-Scale, but I love cars, and driving nice looking models might be more fun than using those little models. Don´t get me wrong - I have a few of them at my shelf here and for something that small, they really look good. But compared with the beautiful Scalextric Lotus 49 Cosworth they are just second choice.

Thanks for your opinion and keep on racing!

Kind regards

Markus

·
Greg Gaub
14,656 Posts
Welcome to SlotForum, Markus!

You can absolutely have years of fun on a track that "small". Mine's not much bigger, and I've definitely seen smaller.
As for the layout, that one actually looks pretty good to start with. The best part is that with plastic, it's easy to change on a whim.
Keep good border room, which you appear to have done, because the love lasts longer (IMHO) when you go magless and learn how to prepare a car so that it runs smoothly without magnets.
2x3m is a little bigger than 5x9', but very close. Better to be sure about the table size before you spend too much time on layout ideas. It would stink to come up with a bunch only to find they're too big for your table. ;-)
As with any slot car racing, the most fun is when you can share it with other people and race. Let us know where you are and I'm sure someone nearby will be happy to share some track time with you.

·
Registered
984 Posts
That track seems OK to me. If it is permanent the odd flyover would add somthing to the interest and should allow a small pit lane on the straight at the bottom of the picture. This does add something particularly if in the long term you are prepared to gpo for SSDC or PC Lap counter. The other alternative would be to go to 1/43 . However for digital seems to lack the breadth of digital conversion possibilities that SSD has. My own home track is smaller than yours and none permanent but is still fun.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Mars, the track looks great to me. Well done. Some nice straights to get up some speed, some even turns both ways so cars on both lanes get a even speed through to make competitive racing... Keep us posted on your progress. I too am in the process of designing a track (if fact Mr Flippant) designed one for me today and I am looking into it. I use a 2.75m x 1.5m table. Lots of fun.

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,279 Posts
Looks like a good track in the space Mars. I particularly like the curves that have a varying radius. You'd have some good racing on that circuit.

Can't emphasise how much a pit lane will add to the fun. Good luck starting your build, and don't forget to post loads of pictures as you get started.

·
Premium Member
2,292 Posts
I have had similar experiences recently trying to fit as much track as I could into a 10'x4' space whilst maintaining the fun factor.

Here is what I am currently running which is modified from a much larger layout I found elsewhere on this site.

The amount of R1s might not suit everyone but it keeps the racers on their toes!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I too have a track on the small size. The platform is 5.5 x 11 feet with 50 total feet of track. There's a regular group of 8-10 guys that keep showing up for my race days so I'm assuming that it's not boring to race on. Take a look at the track website for pictures and details if you'd like. www.wintervalley.us

I like your track layout. I've seen too many people try to cram too much track onto small tables and end up with tracks that look like highway cloverleafs.

A couple things that I incorporated into my track which I think has helped to maximize the small table.
1) some banked turns. You can create some extended higher speed sections if you throw in some banking. I was able to get a high speed run of about 20 feet by using banking and running more or less the perimeter of the platform.
2) If you incorporate an over/under layout it can help to keep things from being quite so tight. It also adds some elevation change which can help to create some uniqueness. I was able to do this and still keep the sight lines clean.

If you are going to be landscaping and making it very permanent, my major piece of advise is to wait until you are completely happy with the track layout!

Good Luck and don't be discouraged by the lack of space.

Oh... and post pictures

·
4,279 Posts
Great layout progsong - loved the virtual lap on your site.

Mars, I'd echo progsong's advice of not making it too permanent until you are happy. I changed my layout about 5 times before I was satisfied.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thank you all for your encouraging words! I youst love those beautiful 1/32 cars, but I also would lave to have a landscaped layout. Having quite a bunch of HO-cars and tracks it would be a shame not to use it. I bought that stuff nearly 10 years ago, but didn´t have the heart to realizing the project.

While thinking about your comments I came up with an idea: Why not build a 9 x 5 table for the SSD layout I´ve shown above, and build a kind frame around that table all the way round, maybe some 10 - 15 cm high. On that frame I could build another plywood sheet with more than enough space for a nice landscaped HO-Slotcar-Layout. Can you imagine what I mean? That HO-layout could work as a cover for the Ecalextric track, and when you want to go for a ride in 1/32, you can take it off and store it leaning on the wall. I guess, it takes a strong framing underneath both layouts to carry the weight, but if you go for table-legs made of metal, it could be working...

I´m going to spend some more thoughts on that project, and I would love to hear your opinion. Maybe someone you´ve heard of has done it before? And of course I won´t nail the track down before i had a lot of test-driving on the track. I guess, that´s the most valuable advice one can get!

Oh, by the way: How much fun do you add to the game by using this pit-lane stuff?

The description on the scalextric website sounded quite good - but beware, it might just be a clever marketing trick...

Thanks again for your welcomes and your helpfull comments!

Markus

·
4,279 Posts
The pit lane is fantastic addition - even better when you use it with the SSDC software.

The idea of the HO track on top sounds like a good idea. Two forms of racing in one space - whatever the mood takes you, you can race what you want.

·
Greg Gaub
14,656 Posts
Yeah, the HO track as a cover for the Scalextric one is a great idea. Two tracks in the same space! You could even put a piano hinge on the back of the HO layout and lift and prop it up to play with the Scalextric. That way you don't have to maneuver a large track around to lean against a wall, but you still have access to both.
Just be sure to keep your landscaping very light, and use a support frame under the HO track to prevent it from sagging and messing it up, or the Scalextric track below.
Also, you don't need metal for good support. Home building lumber has great compression strength, and will be able to hold up both tracks without problems. Your main concern will be with proper bracing for stability.

I look forward to seeing your dual track take shape.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Convinced! I just ordered the SSD Platinum Set. I guess, it´s the perfect set for a start because you get some tracks, two power-supplies and the digital-racing "computer". To be honest, if I have to buy the cars separatly, the included cars won´t be my first or second choice, but I get the set for a good price (390 Euros/325 Pound/515 Dollar). So I take the 6 cars as a nice addon.

Next step is to build the construction (plywood-sheet on a framing with legs) for the Scalextric layout and then get some more tracks to try out the layout above before I make it permanently. I will start a new thread as soon as I get started. Thanks again for being so helpful!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts