SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all have those old cars that don't often see the light of day, or we have the parts in a spares box or two, i have a number of these cars which i have had for some years now and decided to update a few of them, so here are my Mirages.
Cutting mat Vehicle Car Tire Automotive design

Starting with no 10 been a complete rebuild with all parts from spares box or e bay .
Starting with the hard chassis by Avant and the adjustable metal anglewinder pod, nice pods these fitted the pod with ball races, the motor is the Avant 29 K geared at 11x 29 plenty of oomph here .
The guide is slot it wood the braids are soft silver, front wheels and tyres are slot it and made my own self turning axles fitted with axle stops, the rear are NSR ultras trued and glued , the wheel inserts are original Avant .

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Now no 11 exactly the same set up as 10 but with the Avant guide and Avant 35 K short can , now this thing is like a guided missile on my Carrera track and on John's wood track on the straight eats Thunderslots.
I run both cars with a solid set up in other words no lateral moovement in the front axles easy to do with the grub screws fitted in all apertures for front axle , there is a mid adjustment screw which allows the pod to rock have found car operates a lot better with pod screwed down , all the movement i want is body rock and having two body mounting posts easy to get

Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel

So there you have it 2 raves from the grave and what great drives, thinking of doing a few more grave updates , all comments are always greatfully received even the bad one's chuckle.

·
ParrotGod
11,089 Posts
Nice job....that combo of chassis and metal pod is as good as it gets.
To be honest, with a 35K motor it should be able to eat anything on a track (TS stock motor is what? a tame 21K?)

·
David H
4,207 Posts
Nice cars Keith.

The biggest flaw for me with Avant Slot's Mirage is the position of the driver figure, which sits far too high. The Le Mans Miniatures version does it much better.

I know racing drivers are often very short, but Avant Slot's driver must be at least 6'9"
Car Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle

Tire Vehicle Car Wheel White

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Grunz interesting point of that Avant 35 k short can is it seems faster than the Avant 35 k long can which i had tried in that chassis pod, also it outstrips my latest Pirana ballrace 25 k motors on the straight as well , but with all pluses there comes a minus , which is it does not get through the bends as well as the Thunderslot set up.
Agree about the driver David might have a go at altering that on these cars , but like all my older cars need some work on them to update them to where i want to be , was thinking of scrapping both cars but now they are differant animals fit into my fast fleet of cars very well.
On a general point the independant front axles is an idea i have started working on again after leaving it alone for many years , as i found that set up with out any extra movement makes the car very stable , have always liked a well planted front end.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Grunz interesting point of that Avant 35 k short can is it seems faster than the Avant 35 k long can which i had tried in that chassis pod, also it outstrips my latest Pirana ballrace 25 k motors on the straight as well , but with all pluses there comes a minus , which is it does not get through the bends as well as the Thunderslot set up.
Agree about the driver David might have a go at altering that on these cars , but like all my older cars need some work on them to update them to where i want to be , was thinking of scrapping both cars but now they are differant animals fit into my fast fleet of cars very well.
On a general point the independant front axles is an idea i have started working on again after leaving it alone for many years , as i found that set up with out any extra movement makes the car very stable , have always liked a well planted front end.
I like the idea of the independent front wheels, but the way Avant do it seems to cause a lot of drag and the Fly system allows the front wheels to flop about so they might as well not be there.
There was a post on this forum using an axle with a head like a nail, so one wheel could spin on it, but I’ve not found any way to make one myself.
I think Riko made a clever split axle years ago, but I don’t know how it was made, either.
Any thoughts?
Mike

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tried it on Pioneer Mustang around 6 years back and it worked then , ith the Avant you have 4 uprights if you note my original post at the top i run the cut down axle through two each side that way i can also adjust the toe in and toe out as there are 2 grub screws on the top and one underneath .
Found some spares in the odds box , one thing to do is make sure the grub screws in the axle stoppers are flush with the outer of the axle stopper, when i first did this found clearence was a problem with grub screw hitting chassis , on these two cars slight toe out seems to give me a tenth in lap times

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
These were and still are PDQ cars out of the box, Can still keep up with the modern crop of GT/LMPs

Managed to pick one up recently for a very reasonable price.

Keith wouldn't some s-can to angle winder spacers help centralise the motor in the mount?
White Light Bathroom Gas Circle

Mike, Slot-IT do an independent front axle

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These were and still are PDQ cars out of the box, Can still keep up with the modern crop of GT/LMPs

Keith wouldn't some s-can to angle winder spacers help centralise the motor in the mount?
View attachment 307617

Mike, Slot-IT do an independent front axle
Have a stock of Avant adapters that do the job in the pod

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
There was a post on this forum using an axle with a head like a nail, so one wheel could spin on it, but I’ve not found any way to make one myself.

Any thoughts?
Mike
Hi Mike, if you are handy with an iron, you can solder on a thin steel washer/spacer to one end of an axle,......just be sure to clean the inner edge of the axle/washer of any excess solder, so that the wheel turns freely,

Steel washer soldered to the left side of the the axle in the following pic, disregard the Contrates,....this was an example I posted on another thread on turning down Slot-it Contrates.

Cheers
Chris Walker

·
Tel
4,168 Posts
We all have those old cars that don't often see the light of day, or we have the parts in a spares box or two, i have a number of these cars which i have had for some years now and decided to update a few of them, so here are my Mirages.
I run both cars with a solid set up in other words no lateral moovement in the front axles easy to do with the grub screws fitted in all apertures for front axle , there is a mid adjustment screw which allows the pod to rock have found car operates a lot better with pod screwed down , all the movement i want is body rock and having two body mounting posts easy to get
So there you have it 2 raves from the grave and what great drives, thinking of doing a few more grave updates , all comments are always greatfully received even the bad one's chuckle.
Nice resurrection of the Mirages :)

View attachment 307617
Any idea where one can obtain these in the UK without importing ?

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Nice cars Mirages, don't get the historic media coverage that deserve,I run my 1975 Avant occasionally, box stock condition.
The one I love but it's a little on the large size is the 1972/74 Mirage by Vanquish,sadly just a shelf queen.
There's a great book on the history of Mirage ,called racing in the rain, well worth digging out.

·
Alan Wilkinson
1,373 Posts
Some avant mirages in this thread

1 - 20 of 22 Posts