SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A short time ago I showed you all my two lane to four lane track change over. I love the track layout I now have, and me and the Wife are really looking to start scenery on it. I've read with great interest your track builed threads, I really like jmswms, Graham Lanes, Brad Korando, joegraphixs and the newest one by L.Cerante. As me and the wife look things over I have started to realize that the table I have built really sucks. Not that it is not built well, but it started out as a 4'X8'. Then it was 6'X8', then 6'X10' untill it grew to 14'X9'. I sized it down to 12'X8' for the four lane table so I could walk around three sides of the track to reset deloted cars during racing.

So to my problem, all the adding on was done without planning ahead. Where the lake will be there is a 2"X4" right underneath. I dont have framing where I do need it and the somehow during the table build I ended up with the table framing at 7'6" so I had to add some width AFTER I downsized. So at this point I am going to remove all but the first 4'X8' table and build 2 more 4'X8' tables. I still have to add 6" to the table so I think I'll build a filler and install it by the lake to have a stream running under the track, fed by the lake. We want the scenery to be able to go below track level in places. I'll also be useing the cookie-cutter meathed to lay the track.

So basically, I'll have to start over. So fallow along as I try to builed my track and scenery useing what I have learned from this great sites. All will be posted, even the screaw ups.

John W.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Always a hard decision to stop things and restart all over.

I just discovered you're old four-laner. Looks real nice and should be fun to drive!

I'm really looking forward to following you're thread about your new track.

Good Luck

Diegu

·
Registered
555 Posts
you have a very nice track going! you sound like my build! mine started as a 4'x8', then added another 4'x8' to make a L, then added a half of a ping pong table, then added 2 sheets of 2'x5' to make it into a U shape. no planning at all went into under the track... as i now find myself banging my head on the wall running wires for my lights! if only i planned ahead for the little things... DAMN! thanks for adding my name in your list of great tracks!!!!!!!!!! not sure i belong next to names like graham, and so on, but thanks, it's a honor. look on the bright side... you could be running into problems like this after you have most your scenery done! my new pit lane is covering my original lake. we all have the learning curve to battle, as well as the, "man i wish i would have done it that ways"... i still have in my head... my next track will be perfect!
whatever changes you have to make now, will save you later! on the bright side, your layout is great! that's the hard part, the rest is just detail... your on your way! can't wait to see your progress!
-joe

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments. I like your track as it looks the most like a race track. Alot of guys set theres up as rally or city style races.
Due to the weather here in Western Washington I havent had time to get started on anything. Being a Genral Contracter I have been running on calls to thaw pipes, water damage clean up and so on.
I'm planning on getting on the track this week, and hopping this week-end to be able to set-up and run my track. Then I can PLAN on how to due my scenery. I do know that it will be a 60s/70s time frame.

·
Registered
394 Posts
So after a afternoon of racing at a friends track, I tore into my track table rebuild. I started by removing all th track. These where the goofy track table add ons I had to build to get the 4 lane to work.

Then I had to remove the add-ons that I had added as the track had grown over the last year. Like this one

Now I'm getting somewhere..

Looks like I'm going to have to rewire the layout also, I'm sure I can find a way to upgrade while I'm at it

So at the end of the evening I'm down to the 4'X8' table I started with, While I was at it I cut the legs from 40" to 36". I'm really glad I did that as it will make working on the track easier. Tomarrow I'll get the new 4'X8' table built and bolted to the 4'X8' table in the pics.Then add the 2'X8' piece that fits between the 4'X8" tables and the other table that has the wires on it. Then give it a coat of dark green, set the track back on and get the flyover spports built

Well keep progress posted.

John W.

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
Hi John:

The new four lane track plan sounds like it will be just right for the racing you want to do. I admire your determination to rebuild the benchwork. It's not an easy decision to make, but it's one that you'll be glad you made when you start in on the scenery. I'll be watching your progress with interest.

Brad

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was hoping to get more donw this week-end, but with some racing on Saturday and Mother-in-law birthday today it wasent to be. I did get on it this afternoon though

I cut the lumber to make the new 4'X8', glued and screwed it together put legs on and set it up to the current 4'X8' table.

At this point I ran 5/16 bolts thru both tables to bolt together, the holes are a little over size so I can adjust the tables when the tops are on to make them completly level with each other. I also added two legs to the middle of the table.
Then it was time to add the top, 1/2" MDF. On the tops I pilot drill holes for the screws, and countersink the holes.

So thats what I have for today, I'm going to try and finish the other two tables tomarrow and get the holes filled.

I'm also thinking that with the track apart it's a good time to prime it before it goes down on the table again.

John W.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So back at the table work, I built the middle table so as to be able to have the river run under the track. As the Wife said, "You need a reason to have the lake". Good point, So I made it to be 15" wide by 8' Long.

I then used on of jmswms idea and mounted it 5" below the table hight.

added the top mdf piece, need to add one more.

When setting the last end table we deceided to make it 1 1/2" lower than the main table.

The track on this table will be mounted on pink insulation board. This way we will be able to have the scenery be abouve and below the track. The track will be at three differnt hights on this table. So I have a couple small filler panels to set in and I'll be laying the track out to make the fly-over supports. Then prime the track. Cant wait to get to the scenery part, but it's one step at a time.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Planting grass in 24 hours??, Yea I wish..
I did make a couple of minor track design changes in the fly-over to better help drivers keep there eyes on the cars in the curves. Final design here..

Just think, now I get to paint all of it.....

·
Tel
4,125 Posts
Looks just how I envisaged my table frames when I get to do them, except I was going to run another studwork timber frame half way down the legs on 3 sides for extra rigidity, and 45 degree angled supports at the front to allow for easier under table acsess.
Did you find they are rigid enough without ?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the comments guys.
Savage, If you look closely at the later photos you can see where there are two legs under the center of the table bolted to the two center cross braces. I'll post some pics of them. The table is very sturdy as it sits. but I will be adding a center leg on the 8' spans just to be sure and also a few corner braces (metal type). I would rather error on the side of overbuilt after the fun of my first table.

John W.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I had planned on painting the track pieces in the garage while I worked on the track table and supports. Well I found that I had to have the track on the table to see where supports and such had to go. So I sanded the spakle that I put in the screw holes, and started to lay out the track. I made the primary cut on the first foam board.

So I deceided to layout the whole track, as I had made a couple of changes in design. This way I'll be able to get all the supports right.

I'm really glad I did the table drop, will be fun to add scenery

Overall I am so glad that I deceided to rebuild the tables. When I got most of the track laid out I was able to see that it had reached the goal of a solid foundation and the track FIT on the table.

I have one small table left to build for the corner, It will also be the tallest part. I should have it wraped up tomarrow then be able to spend the week-end working out any bugs that will crop up and then paint

John W,

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"should have it wraped up tomarrow then paint" Yea, right. Anyway I got the last corner table built. It sits higher than the others.

Then I was able to get all the track laid out, at which point I found that I had to make a minor change. So it was off to the hobby shop for a couple more R3s.
Now I was finally able to start working on my elevations and fly-over

So aftet working with the insulation board for a while I deceided to use 1/4" plywood for my main flyover section. I screwed 2X4 braces from under the table then screwed the 1/4" ply to the 2X4s and what ever else to set the hight.

The upper area with the hairpin turn just about done.

The flyover section just about done

So tomarrow I'll get one more sheet of 1/4" ply and finish up a couple spots.
This corner for one

Already getting ready for the wirirng project. I'm finally seeing a slot car table again!!
Soon......

John W.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys, I cant wait to run some cars on it soon. Already getting some scenery ideas I want to try.

Joegraphix, I stop useing the scaley power packs some time ago. I use a 12 volt auto battery that I keep charged with a trickle charger. I never lack for amps
. I solderd the wires right to the track.

I also do my power taps this way, There will four power taps plus the main hook up. Stay tuned for further updates. I already planned a race for this Saturday. Should be fun.

John W.

1 - 20 of 200 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.