SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, was hoping somebody may have had one or both of these issues & maybe be able to lend some advice.

Have recently pieced together a digital track in the shed, and before doing any more work to scenery etc, wanted to put in a bunch of laps to see how the course drives/check positioning of LC's/see if there was any glitch that needed to be sorted before going more permanent.

First issue I came up with was a LH out to in LC, that when used will deslot the car 70 to 80% of the time. Have tried varying entry speed into the corner which does make a difference, however to me the speed seems a little low (especially when it comes to full blown racing & the red mist forms). As a comparison, other LC's I have on the circuit, LH in to outs allow me to make a lane change at a much higher speed without any deslots at all. The only big variable is this LC is at the end of the main straight, & I currently have braking set on dynamic for my trials. The deslots have happened to both mag & non mag cars.

I think I'm running the later LC's as they all have the dimple pre LC flipper, so not sure what the cause is.

Secondly, whilst running a car around, have noticed lane changers activating on their own. This will occur without a car being anywhere near the LC that has randomly changed. My thinking is that it maybe a power supply issue to the LC's as I've only powered them from the track as yet.

The circuit is approx 17 metres long, has 12 LC's of various types, is runnining the new 6 car APB, & is powered from a variable voltage & current power supply using both power inputs on the APB.

Hope I have given enough info on the problems & that somebody out there may be able to help.
Thanks in advance; John.

·
Greg Gaub
14,984 Posts
If the CLC that "causes" deslots is such that the cars simply spin out as if you took a turn too fast, then it's just a matter of driving it differently. The way the cars go through them, though, the rear wheels often ride on the flipper surface, which has much less grip than the track surface. That, plus the abruptness of the turn results in much easier deslotting on those lines. Of course, having it at the end of your long straight means that cars are usually at a higher speed than in technical sections, especially if you brake late. See if you have the same trouble with a normal half straight and two R2 pieces in that location.

If the cars are deslotting for some other reason, such as the guide hitting part of the slot or flipper, or other physical reasons, see if you can narrow it down to the exact moment and cause of the deslot.

As for flippers moving, this is usually caused by lighting. The lane changers operate on patterns of IR light. Sometimes a fluorescent or other similar bulb can have a flicker pattern that confuses the sensors in the lane changers. Test this theory by turning off any fluorescent or CFL lights. Use a flashlight if you need to see. ;-) If they stop being jittery, then at least you know where the problem came from. If they don't stop, then definitely make sure your PSU is providing at least 10 amps and 15 volts, especially if you've had it turned down to slow cars down.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have had the odd problem if the track connections or braids on any of the cars are very poor. This seems to put so much electrical nois in at they can do that. Note the cars will still drive so you need to check braids,
I agree that at the end of the main strait its proably speed. My experience is that CLC's need to be taken a bit slower than basic track.

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
QUOTE name='Riddell Racer' date='9 Sep 2011, 01:46' post='645001'
Secondly, whilst running a car around, have noticed lane changers activating on their own. This will occur without a car being anywhere near the LC that has randomly changed. My thinking is that it maybe a power supply issue to the LC's as I've only powered them from the track as yet.

QUOTE name='MrFlippant' date='9 Sep 2011, 05:42' post='645013']
As for flippers moving, this is usually caused by lighting. The lane changers operate on patterns of IR light. Sometimes a fluorescent or other similar bulb can have a flicker pattern that confuses the sensors in the lane changers. Test this theory by turning off any fluorescent or CFL lights. Use a flashlight if you need to see. ;-) If they stop being jittery, then at least you know where the problem came from. If they don't stop, then definitely make sure your PSU is providing at least 10 amps and 15 volts, especially if you've had it turned down to slow cars down.

John,
i noticed this over the last 2 days. i have set up a small 7m test track in my conservatory (so all natural lighting), whilst i get accustomed to the new Apb.
went to get a cup of coffee from the kitchen, and whilst i was in there, several flippers were dancing around.
Is this clouds passing overhead?
The flippers also seem to activate as i walk around the conservatory, to collect deslotted cars.
Is this my shadow causing the activation?

I always understood the problem as Greg has described above?

Ushcha,
There were no cars on my track at time of activations, so although noise is a good shout, i don't think so on this occasion?

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
What version of firmware do you have installed on your powerbase? The earliest version was v0.84 but that was quickly superseded by v0.85 because of the problem of strong natural daylight or certain types of lamp causing the LCs to fire like a telegraph line. Carefully watch the screen of the APB when you boot up, the version will be shown near the bottom of the screen.

Andrew Wallace has been given permission by Scalextric to provide firmware changes to the community. So if you have a firmware of at v0.84, you will need to get a SSDC cable as minimum and go HERE for further advice.

Another known problem area is the part of the track where the intersections of the digital pieces are. Untidy braids can briefly short-circuit here and cause all sorts of noise in the circuitry; try running in the dark and look for flashes. Here is a fix if this is the CASE. There are numerous other fixes which can be found HERE.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
QUOTE (GregK @ 9 Sep 2011, 08:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What version of firmware do you have installed on your powerbase? The earliest version was v0.84 but that was quickly superseded by v0.85 because of the problem of strong natural daylight or certain types of lamp causing the LCs to fire like a telegraph line. Carefully watch the screen of the APB when you boot up, the version will be shown near the bottom of the screen.

Ok, not to hijack John's thread, but when i boot up, i get 01.004 in the top right of display.

I see there is a 1.06 version available in the link you provided. (i have so much reading to do just to catch up with all the developments in the past year)!!

i did notice a lot of impossible lap times too, before i set the min lap parameter.

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
v01.005 was created to fix a problem with lap times and v01.006 further enhanced this fix PLUS it also has the start of the support for the InCar-PRO chipset firmware. This give you working brake lights on any digital PB similar to the RichG mod but without any extra hardware .....

As with all computery things ....... you should upgrade to the latest version.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All very interesting replies, and it might take a while to get to the absolute bottom of it.

QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 9 Sep 05:42) As for flippers moving, this is usually caused by lighting. The lane changers operate on patterns of IR light. Sometimes a fluorescent or other similar bulb can have a flicker pattern that confuses the sensors in the lane changers. Test this theory by turning off any fluorescent or CFL lights. Use a flashlight if you need to see. ;-) If they stop being jittery, then at least you know where the problem came from. If they don't stop, then definitely make sure your PSU is providing at least 10 amps and 15 volts, especially if you've had it turned down to slow cars down.

Went out to the shed tonight & tried upping the current, voltage was dead on 15V, but current @ 2.5A, so bumped up to 5A for a start. Ran a car around the circuit as a pace car & not a problem with jittery flippers. However not a perfect experiment. Had fluoro lights on tonight, when I noticed this issue occuring it was during the day with natural light coming through the skylights in the roof. Anyway for the sake of the exercise, I also changed braids.

Something I can't do right now is the firmware upgrade, will have to get my hands on a cable asap, as I'm running v0.85. Thanks GregK for the links to the fixes & firware info.

Zipp, it may very well be the clouds. We had a storm rolling in at the time I noticed this flipper concern & it may have been triggered by the light levels changing as the clouds passed overhead.

As for the deslots, took a different approach to the corner. As Mr F & Michael 363672 have brought up, it does seem to be a slow corner, and found a little earlier on the brake, switching the LC then feathering throttle through that section seems to work best for me.

Michael that's an awesome racing line you've made. I put a RH out to in CLC in an extended corner, but used a R3 curve as the sensor track & thought I was pretty clever. Seeing your work has brought me back to earth with a thud.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
John,

I have 3 CLC's in my layout with one "LH Out to In" and it is the most likely deslot area when changing lanes and must be taken slower, as said before I think it is the tight R2 corner and moving from out to in which makes it even tighter which causes most of the deslots. Looking forward to seeing pics of your layout......

·
Registered
106 Posts
QUOTE (Billy_Cart @ 11 Sep 2011, 04:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>John,

I have 3 CLC's in my layout with one "LH Out to In" and it is the most likely deslot area when changing lanes and must be taken slower, as said before I think it is the tight R2 corner and moving from out to in which makes it even tighter which causes most of the deslots. Looking forward to seeing pics of your layout......

My thoughts exactly, the out to in l/c basically turns a R2 curve into a R1 radius
Cheers
John

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Billy Cart & Kennee, yeah those CLC's look a great idea when you look at racing lines & such. Even with some minor experimenting they seemed to work ok, but boy when you try & get some serious consistent laps down to try out the flow of the track.......well pain in the butt is all I can say. Think I got it stuck in my head that "hey, this is an R2 turn, I should be able to take it quicker". But with some reminders from the forum, I realised what I was trying to do, & a bit of operator education was needed.

Taking the tighter aspect into consideration, I don't seem to be having an issue with deslots now.

Have just put some pics & a little story up on the tracks & scenery section under Ranges International Raceway. Still very rough at the moment, & need to take some update pics.

John.

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
hi
best way to look at a standard clc is they provide a place to change lane if you catch a slower racer,they are not an overtaking place for evenly matched racers.

In order of being the fastest line and providing an overtake the lane change sections should be viewed in this order.

1.racing line chicane,home made from 2 clc cut and shut together,very realistic...

2.xlc,also has the benefit of lane change from either side of the track,these can also be modified to provide a straighter line to prevent fishtailing at speed.

3.clc,the worst type of lane change,if you are going to use them then in 2 outs are the better of the 2...

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
QUOTE (bigbird @ 11 Sep 2011, 02:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>2.xlc,also has the benefit of lane change from either side of the track,these can also be modified to provide a straighter line to prevent fishtailing at speed.

Which mod was this? Is it just painting the conductors near the "X" and "Y" points on the LC?
Or have I missed something?

Cheers!

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
hi
there has been a post on here somewhere that showed 2 xlc cut and joined together to give a smoother line when going for a overtake.

The completed section then worked out to 2 full straights instead of the usual 1.5..

·
Registered
106 Posts
QUOTE (bigbird @ 11 Sep 2011, 21:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hi
there has been a post on here somewhere that showed 2 xlc cut and joined together to give a smoother line when going for a overtake.

The completed section then worked out to 2 full straights instead of the usual 1.5..

I've got one at the end of a 6 metre straight. You can change lanes at fairly high speed, but still can off occasionally at full speed.
Can't find the link either, but could always take a photo.

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
back to misbehaving lane changers...

one clc i have been using the past week, has stopped working several times.
i have to turn of the apb and then turn on again, and the clc comes back to life.
can someone please remind me why this happens? i know this is old news, but my old brain can't remember.

thanx

1 - 20 of 21 Posts