SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks,

I am looking for someone who can (or already does) reproduce clear parts from cars, more specifically light lens covers.

Does anyone know a website or contact of someone who does this

OR

Can anyone let me (and the Forum) know how to do it, what to use etc.

I have a fair few pieces missing from various cars with no chance to get replacements.

Seems like it won't be too hard to do but I can't fathom out where to start.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
What I usually do is hunt through my big collection of clear plastic packaging (one of the weirdest collections...) until I find a shape that matches closely. It's surprising how quickly they turn up. I bought a Carrera 'Go' Aston for my son the other day... the packaging has tremendous potential, being virtually a vacform of the car. There's a lot of useful curved shapes to be had from mineral water bottles, too.
Anyway, just snip out the shape roughly, lay it on the car and trace the outline more carefully with a marker pen or scriber. A little piece of double sided tape will allow you to stick something to it to hold while you finalise the shape with scalpel and files. Then stick it in with Micro Mark Krystal Klear or other clear PVA glue.
I also have a unhealthily large collection of vacform shells, often bought impulsively on mail order from Oz.... only to be horribly disappointed at the quality. But they're dirt cheap, and once in a while a really good one comes up. The rest go in the parts bin as donors.
But if you realy want to go crafty, make a vacuum former yourself- help me with this one JP- or just make a little mould for the piece using filler. Cut a matching hole in a piece of board, pin some acrylic sheet across the hole, heat it up with a hot air blower or whatever, and push your mould piece through. It'll make a nice little forming quite easily.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
QUOTE help me with this one JP
...beginning to wish I'd never mentioned that *&(%$^* HOME-MADE VACUUM FORMER! Ah well, quoting myself:

QUOTE (JohnP @ 18 Dec 2003, 15:30)...the vac forming gizmo was in fact down to some ingenious guys at Car Model magazine back in the '60's.

Basically it was a wooden box with lots of little holes in the top and a big hole in the side for you to plug in a vacuum cleaner. There was also, a rubber seal around the top edge.

The mold would be placed on top of the box (over the holes) and the vacuum switched on. At this point air would be drawn in around the mold and through the top holes of the box.

A plastic sheet pinned to a wooden frame would then be gently heated until the plastic began to soften. The frame/sheet would then be pressed over the mold and down onto the seal. Schloop - a blob was born!

So there you go.

I think there may also be some merit in this idea:

MMK headlamp covers

...but I think Easter egg packaging is probably the way to go. At least you get to eat lots of yummy choc that way!

Now, I wonder if howmet jnr. still has a motor in that Carrera 'Go' Aston of his

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Gareth- are you saying that BTS will do individual mouldings on request?

And Howmet Jr. does still have his Aston. I can't get the thing off my track.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts