SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
I've decided to abandon the Pacific Coast Highway theme for the present track and concentrate on the Mitchell Point Tunnel as the scenic signature feature. This looks like a lot of fun to try to model ...

... the question is how to develop a track plan around it that's fun and relatively easy to drive. And, it all has to fit on a small footprint. Here's what I've come up with so far -- I hope to start construction on it next week. I've had different opinions about the lane length. Some think that the outside will be faster (because it's easier to drive), others think the inside (shorter) lane will be faster. I'm guessing that a really good driver would take advantage of the shorter lane and it would be faster, but most drivers won't be good enough to take full advantage of the short lane.

·
Thomas
374 Posts
It looks very cool, I dont think that most people world be able to take advantage of a faster lane.
Oh man the ecenery is going to be sooo good
Cant wait to see construction

·
Registered
638 Posts
Hey that scenery is breathtaking! I also love the idea having the Highway at the back!

Even it the track is so small, it should be fun to drive.

You constructed a double oval. Assuming lane distance of about 9 cm, the outer lane will be 100 cm longer than the inner one. This is a lot. To my opinion and experience, the outer lane will be significantly slower. This is due to the fact that centrifugal forces increase by square of speed, means you won't be able to drive as fast as you have to on the outer lane.

I'm about to construct a double oval, too. I don't think it's optimal, but there are reasons to do it.

On the other hand: most tracks yield different lap - times, even if lane length is the same. You could even put more Voltage on the outer lane to compensate the handicap using an adjustable power source.

No matter which way you go, the track should be fun to look at and fun to drive.

Have fun,

Diegu

·
Registered
17 Posts
Placing a couple of 'racing line' crossovers in strategic locations could equalise the lane lengths; we used to do it by counting inside and outside radius corners on each lane.

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, maybe I'll save space for a digital transplant ... that would solve the length problem. I don't think, however, that go for crossovers.

I started building the benchwork, but ran into a problem procuring 3/8" MDF.
It's amazing how difficult it is to find 3/8" MDF, even in a large city like Los Angeles. I think I'll be able to get some across town on Monday.

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (1 32 slotter @ 2 Jan 2009, 22:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So are you thinking about the new ssd 6 car digital/analog set-up? You would not have to then chip all your cars.Yes, perhaps I might lay in the new SSD digital/analog PB at a later date when it becomes available.

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
The Benchwork

I'm using "open benchwork", much like Luf's tracks. The middle point is "dropped benchwork" for the canyon/bridge running down the middle. It's a weakpoint in the benchwork, but I'll reinforce it with the framework for the bridge. I decided to "flip" the plan.

·
Registered
581 Posts
It would be interesting (in light of the long straight at the rear of your design) to be able to use LCs or even routing "plugs" to connect a variety of layouts this size. This way those w/ the space could build skills by finishing a circuit and then be able to connect it to a second, and then a third....

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (gokartride @ 3 Jan 2009, 14:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It would be interesting (in light of the long straight at the rear of your design) to be able to use LCs or even routing "plugs" to connect a variety of layouts this size. This way those w/ the space could build skills by finishing a circuit and then be able to connect it to a second, and then a third....Not sure what you mean by routing "plugs". If you mean add-ons to the layout, yes, that would be interesting except that the elevations on this layout would make it difficult to add on to. You can begin to see the elevations in this photo with the beginnings of the bridge (which is 15"/38cm) from the bottom of the canyon. I'm envisioning the raised highway as another 15"/38cm above the bridge.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
Wow, I see you started this thread on 28th Dec and I completely missed it! Wow, this is going to be another charmer. And wow, I love the elevations, you take slot racing to a new level every time you build!

·
Registered
581 Posts
QUOTE (jmswms @ 3 Jan 2009, 18:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not sure what you mean by routing "plugs".
Yeah, I totally made that one up!!! It seems someone a while back was planning a large course in which several smaller circuits could be arranged depending on the type of racing desired. In this case, active lane changers could be employed, but if that was too complicated, perhaps just a manual insert "plug" could be used which fit in the slot to determine the path cars would take. In this situation you would simply walk around the track putting these in place to set the desired racing course. Oh well....that idea is a bit off-topic.

I do really like the idea of working in greater detail on a smaller footprint track. I don't have tons of space, but for those who may, this "smaller footprint" approach seems a good way of conquering the construction of a larger track. Building modules would allow one to work on a track for many years and see it grow little by little over time, while still getting the satisfaction of actually finishing a fully-functional, scenicked, race-ready section or stage.

Anyway...bottom line...your track idea is awesome!!! I'm just inspired to imagine how others might be able to achieve similar levels of workmanship/visual interest if they had a greater abundance of space available.

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Getting the bridge done. It's basically finished here, now I need to work on the tunnel, then it's on to routing (if I can procure the 3/8" MDF).

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (AlexB @ 5 Jan 2009, 12:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Any luck with the MDF boards?I was able to get some 3/8" MDF today from a specialty lumber store, and I got started routing. Still have more routing to do ... unfortunately, my lexan strip broke.

1 - 20 of 221 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.