SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
John Roche
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DIY shops sell jigs to enable wood to be cut at accurate angles. Does anyone make one small enough with a fine saw suitable for cutting brass strip either by hand or a power tool? I just never seem to cut straight enough even when I scribe accurately.

Thanks.

John

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Hi John,

X-Acto makes a nice little mitre box. Works great with their razor saws, especially for cutting brass tube and brass strips. I don't know what I would do without mine!

It measures 2"x 5 1/2" x 1" deep.

Kind regards

Russell

·
Al Schwartz
3,396 Posts
I treated myself to this little toy a couple of years ago - very nice and it saves a lot of time and crampled fingers. Comes with both abrasive disks and a fine tooth saw and will tackle not only soft metal tubing but axles and wire as well.

MicroMark lists it on their web site.

EM

·
John Roche
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm tempted, but I'd have to do a lot more building to justify the expense unless I can peruade " she who must be obeyed" to buy it for Xmas.

Cheers,

John

·
John Roche
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi EM,

I've just taken the plunge and ordered the Micro Mark machine while the dollar is weak.

Are you in the UK? if so, what do you use to transform 240 volts to110

John

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
I also use an X-acto mitre box and razor saw for a lot of my cutting. When I cut heavy material (brass sheet), I use either a Dremel or hacksaw, then trim the rough edges quickly to perfection on a belt/disc sander - the same one I use for woodworking - with the mitre gauge and various simple jigs I built for it.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
To tell the truth, I use a Stanley knife to cut tube- roll it a couple of times and Snap! a nice clean, square cut, no cleaning up necessary. Throw away the blade fairly often, but....
It's actually much quicker than a saw on tubing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts