SlotForum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off - I am a mag racer, this is not a thread on whether mags are good or not, but on tuning mag cars. (My general aims are to make my cars handle well, without too much speed compromise - not to make cars that never come off)

I have been experimenting with adding weights to mag cars. First was with scaley bar mag cars, I had been using a button mag to keep the guide & nose down, but tried using weight instead. This seemed good, and better handling than no weight when entering races allowing only 1 magnet.

Next - my previous strategy for poor cornering handling was wider, lower mags, maybe changing the placement. Having a big pack of weights left over from the first experiments meant trying other things to add grip, reduce tipping, lower c of g and so on, basically applying non-mag ballast theory to a mag car.

So far the results have been encouraging. Sometimes the cars need a better motor, but the same is true if I had increased magnetic strength. The cars generally are a bit more recoverable on corners than cars with just magnets, but i have not been very scientific with these experiments.

So: do any of you guys use weights AND magnets? Am i barking up the wrong tree? If you do mix 'em, any tips?

cheers

Dave

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice everyone! Russel, thanks for the pic of that impressive chassis, and for Larry's words on mag theory, which make a lot of sense.

Will ponder!

Cheers

Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts