SlotForum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the non-digital power supply should not be used with the digital supply to add more juice. But, is there anything wrong with using the non-digital power supply when not using the digital system?

I'd like to add the digital system to my existing track and sometimes run the digital cars and do lane changing, and sometimes run the regular cars without lane changing.

Can I simply install both power supplies, and their track pieces, leave them in place, and simply switch on the specific power supply I need, when I need it? Is there any problem with leaving the lane change track section in place when not running the digital power supply? (I think there's some circuitry on the lane change sections...)

TIA

·
Registered
522 Posts
You can do what you want, but it will take some custom wiring.

The problem is that the digital powerbase and the lane changes have common power between lanes. In analog, the power is independent between lanes.

If you want to keep the LCs in your layout, you need to modify the LCs so that the power is not shared between lanes. On carrera, this entails cutting a wire. On scalectric it is probably similar.

Also, you need to remove the digtal powerbase from the circuit when running analogue. You can isolate the feeds from the powerbase to the track and put an on/off switch between them, thus isolating the powerbase from the track with the throw of a switch.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm... this looks more complicated than I'm interested in getting into at this time.

Looks like I'll hold off on the digital set until the upgrade chips are available for some of my other cars.

Thanks for your response.

·
Soren Winkler Rasmussen
355 Posts
QUOTE (randybrown @ 9 Dec 2004, 03:14)Hmm... this looks more complicated than I'm interested in getting into at this time.

Looks like I'll hold off on the digital set until the upgrade chips are available for some of my other cars.There's absolutely no reason that it should be that complicated.

Why not make the base station with two separate H-bridge controllers

In digital mode you send out the communication signals at constant full power to both drivers simultaneously.
In analog mode you replace the control signal with a separate PWM modulated signal to each track, where the trigger controls the power level to each track.

The difference is only in the software ... how difficult can it be ???
That would allow for seamless migration from analog to digital ... at the press of a button you change the system from digital to analog.

I hate to say it, but why not KEEP IT SIMPLE

Best regards
Søren

1 - 4 of 4 Posts