SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Back in the early 1960s, the arrival of Ford Galaxies, Cortinas and all conquering Mini Coopers, signalled the end of what had been a golden period in British saloon car racing for the iconic, Coventry built MK2 Jaguar.

But the Jag soldiered on and remained a stalwart competitor in national and club level competitions for many years. My own memories of old racing Jags are of glorious, howling 6 cylinder engine/exhaust notes and visually, they were always a sheer joy to watch.

This model is intended to represent a car that might have competed in events around the mid to late 60s, just before modified club racing saloons in Britain began receiving steroid body modifications and Detroit V8s. However, there are signs on my model things were changing; gone are the front and rear bumpers; the wire rims have also been replaced by steels. In my dreams I would like to think this looks a little like a Jag that may have been hurled around Mallory Park, exchanging paintwork with fellow competitors at a warm, sunny whit Sunday bank holiday meeting sometime in the late 1960s…

In reality, it will be 'hurled' around the NERCS & Tyneside slot car club tracks in 2012...and possibly exchanging more than just a little paintwork

Consequently, this particular model is one of a series (in addition to the previously posted Sunbeam Rapier and Peugeot 403 topics) I'm currently building for use in the 2012 NERCS (North East Restoration Club Slots) Flat Cap Trophy for Pre 1969 Classic Saloon Cars.

Spec (in accordance with Flat Cap regulations);

Bodyshell: Ocar resin

Chassis: PCS - step 2 kit

Motor: Slot.it 21K

Crown & Pinion: Slot.it

Wheels: Penelope Pitlane

Tyres: Ortmann

Thanks for looking.

Dave

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
Nice work, Dave! The MKII is on my to-do list sometime in the future.

Greenman62

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (phillsjag @ 16 Aug 2011, 20:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Niceley built car did that kit come with the leaper or is it from something else,I ask because the ocar kit I have didn,t thanks!

The leaper, along with the additional body trim is scratch made using a combination of fuse & florists wire

QUOTE (-claus- @ 16 Aug 2011, 21:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Dave,

Perfect built with perfect livery finish.
It´s a little pity that the vac-form wind screen elements of the -ocar- kit didn´t fit in precisely............

Kind regards

claus

Yes, the vac form screens are certainly not the best on this kit Claus! However, I'm in the process of improving the fit, so hopefully the appearance will improve.

Thanks for everyones feedback. Much appreciated.

Dave

·
Pete Shepherd
1,694 Posts
Hi Dave,

Great work as usual and I think that as it is so big (compared to other mid 60's saloons) it should do pretty well in the series. My Cortina entry will be finished in the Autumn but it is well underway.

Thanks,

Pete

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Dave should also be congratulated for the fact that has also inspired everyone at NERCS (except me
) to have a go at building their own cars.
He`s been like a breath of fresh air up here!
Cheers,
Kev

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
QUOTE (honestjudge @ 19 Aug 2011, 17:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It looks very good Dave, well done.

What code ortmanns did you use on the penelope pitlane rims?

Thanks Fred. I think I may have used 'Scalextric' C28 - these are a good std tyre for period saloon builds and fit the PP rims reasonably well. The 'Ninco' 49c is also a good alternative (although a little lower profile). The 'Revell' 50j, is another possibility; I used these on my George Turner Ford Falcons. It may also be worth speaking to Col at RSSLOT to check if he knows of any others. He's making his own alloy rims now, so might be able to offer some alternatives.

I've re-attached the glazing, which hopefully has improved the Jags appearance.

Thanks.
Dave

1 - 17 of 17 Posts