SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have recently added to my collection an MMK Alfa 8C. Its a real beauty, but out of the box, runs like a dog and struggles with any corner below scalextric R3.

The car is really heavy and I know it will never be super fast. I would like to get it to a competent level of handling though without doing any major surgery. I'm contemplating moving the guide forward and replacing it with a deeper guide. With the guide where it is at the moment the car almost seems to jack knife on the inside lane of R2 curves and pop itself out of the slot and continue straight on.

This car has a really heavy body any advice or tips on getting this sliding rather the deslotting would be greatly appreciated. I'm running on Scalextric Sport track with Professor Motor controller.

Best regards,
Marlon.

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
Marlon.

Mr.P is the one to advise you on this car..........It is one of his!....

The guide does look a long way behind the front axle. I would use a trailing guide mounted just in front the axle, to try and improve handling.

I've just ordered a Plasticard one of these, but I'll build my own chassis for it.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Yeah its the most far-back guide I have seen!

Since there is no room for the guide to be much in front of the front axle, I guess making sure it was running as a tripod would benefit this car.

If it still topples after the guide adjustments, I would imagine the 2 factors would be to lower the centre of gravity (reducing weight high uo, adding weight low down, grinding down the tyres so it sits lower), and reducing lateral grip. Not sure how to do that! Also making sure the tyres have a rounded profile rather than square one when virewed from the front. Taking the edges off seems to reduce tipping a lot.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I agree, the guide location is your problem. It can't go even with or just ahead of the front axle? I can't imagine what they were thinking when they put the guide flag back there. It's dooming the car to cornering trouble what with it almost binding in turns. The guide could also stand to be a bit larger so it goes deeper into the slot. It was probably a compromise to allow it to work with older shallow slot tracks.

It's a real nice looking car though. I don't see any reason why it can't be made to move quite fast without magnets even with its high ground clearance. You just need to sort out the guide flag problem.

Can you post a picture of the chassis minus the body? I'm just curious.

·
Registered
721 Posts
If I was to modify this car I think getting rid of the guide flag and putting a pin a lot farther towards the front is what I would do.

BTW

Pea on these cars with minimum overhang in the front why don't you get your friends to just use a pin instead of a flag?

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's a couple of pictures of the chassis with body removed.

What if I removed the resin cross member and put a new guide there?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Moving the guide seems like a 'must do'

If I were you, I would true all the tyres so the mold line down the middle was gone and assess the car's performance like that before making other decisions

·
Registered
800 Posts
The guide pin is a good idea.

Is that front cross member used for anything? If it can be removed then be sure to put another brace behind the front axle, epoxy anything in and you'll be fine. It's possible that the brace is not used for anything on that car but why take a chance? That, in my eyes, would be the best way of fixing the problem.

I find it odd that they did such a nice job on everything but they put the guide in a poor location. That is some nice resin work you have there and an outstanding looking body on that car.

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your comments, I'll true the tyres before attempting anything else.

Can somebody provide me with some more detail and pictures on the pin guide assembly. What diameter pin is used relative to slot width etc.

Thanks,
Marlon.

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
QUOTE Mr.P is the one to advise you on this car..........It is one of his!.
Actually, I have nothing to do with MMK other than we are good friends and we at Electric Dreams distribute his cars in the US and help chose the models.
This car runs great on our Carrera track, sliding nicely into the curves, but as usual, the quirky Scalextric track shows its true colors. I tried the car on a Ninco and Artin track and it ran with no problems, always oversteering rather than jumping the slot. It is indeed, as the Bugatti, quite top heavy and if anything, has a tendency to roll on its roof at the limit, that is, except on the Scalex track.

The fix for this is to fit a TSRF guide more up front by carving a new location and epoxying a piece of 1/8" beass tubing in the new hole. The resin chassis can ve carefully drilled and shaped with a Dremel grinding steel tool.Look here for basic instructions.
You can get the guide from your favorite supplier like AB Slotsport in England, Professor Motor or Fantasy World in USA of right here.
Another possible fix is to fit a pin guide, but it might be a bit more difficult to do if you do not have a lather to machine a steel or nylon pin with flange and thread, that could then simply be bolted to the non-conductive resin chassis. The braided contacts could fit through slots drilled and shaped with a thin flat fine, then bolted with 2-56 flathead machine screws and nuts from the TSRF parts catalogue.
Regards,

Dr. Pea
"not responsible for the demise of the planet"

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Dr Pea, I have the TSRF guide and it was this I was going to try. Why is it as you say that Scalextric Sport track offers difficulties with this car that other types of track do not? Is it the surface or slot depth etc?

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've now replaced the guide with a TSRF guide, before,

After,

I haven't changed the position of the guide and the replacement was done without any alterations to the chassis, just a straight swap. Due to the differing size and shape of the TSRF guide the position has 'naturally' moved forward as can be seen in the befroe and after pics. The tyres have been trued.

The performance of this car has greatly improved. You still have to be careful carrying speed into the corners but power can now be put down out of corners with some pleasing tail out action. Its now fun to drive and think the main problem for further tuning is weight distribution rather guide placement. Its quick enough for me now though and hasn't got the nasty habits it had before.

Thanks for all your advice on this.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
QUOTE the position has 'naturally' moved forward

My understanding is that the position of the pivot of the guide is the important factor, in which case the 'position' has not changed.

But I am glad it is driving better!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts