SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got me one of these, am more than a little apprehensive, cost me a bundle of cars in trade, and despite having painted loads of figure's, I've never really attempted any painting or detailing of cars. Anyway I thought I'd give it a go.

I made a start with the check plate runners, using sticky backed metal foil acquired from local discount store. They look ok, if a little shiney.

I would like to use the same foil to cover the runners already molded to the body work, the paint, as it came, is a little thick however, and the detail of the checkplate doesn't show through, as it does on the unpainted pieces.

It's in my mind to remove the paint on the runners using enamel thinners and a cotton bud, is that the right way to go? Any and all tips and advice very gratefully received. Kindest Regards Jason

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Phil, I'll admit the thought of making a fudge of this lovely kit is playing heavy on my mind. Kind Regards Jason

·
Registered
36 Posts
The google translator makes it clear I was not, but I think you want to do metal plates, you can pass a pencil soft, it will give the worn metal effect without the danger of alcohol

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
that's a very nice-looking project, Jason! I would consider a light spray of dullcote (any matte clear that you have available locally) to take excess sheen off the chrome.
If you intend to weather or add depth with the soft pencil mentioned (or a diluted dark ink of black or brown etc)...do that first and "fix" it with the dullcote.

best of luck...should be really impressive when you're finished!

John

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the kind words of encouragement, and all hints and tips. I have made very little progress today, my attention drawn elsewhere. I followed Phil's advice, left the paint well alone, found some thinner foil and used this to cover the fixed runners. The checkplate pattern doesn't show through quite as well as on the unpainted pieces, but I think it'll be ok.
Later I will use the pencil technique so well illustrated on Priamorex's own Transporter thread to weather the runners, then definitely, as John said, some dullcote, or other locally available matte clear to reduce the shine.
Here's where I'm at.

Jason

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have started to put on the chrome, before I go any further, I'd like to paint the mudguards and bumpers black. What do I need to do to prepare the surfaces to take paint, will a quick rub down with some wet and dry do the job? I have both acrylic and enamel paints, which would be best to use? Sorry for the idiot like questions , but I hav'nt tried to paint any cars since I was 7 or 8, and that didn't turn out so good. Jason

·
Registered
658 Posts
Wow...the chrome and other simulated metal bits look fabulous. I'll be following this thread with interest as there will be a lot of good information for even the accomplished modeller. No pressure!!

cheers,
Bob S.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Bob, I've used the same sticky backed foil for the chrome work, as for the checkplate runners. I have applied some paint to the inside bit's but am very nervous of painting on the body itself. Kind Regards Jason

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Kev, I have a few days off work this week so I do hope to make some progress. I have some Bare Metal Foil in black chrome, it's not sticky like the other foil, much harder to apply, but I think it does look ok on the bumpers and I think maybe I'll try it on the mudguards too. If i paint some Clear over it after, I hope that will fix it in place. Regards Jason

·
Phil Smith
2,622 Posts
If your going to put any paint over what is already there then I would use enamel.
Whatever it is enamel will not react with, acrylic might.
Just a light rub over with some fine wire wall to take the shine off is all that is needed before painting.

Looking good though, Jason

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the kind words Phil, I've made a little progress, there's always other demands on my time. The mudguards are now painted, as are the wheels which were very fiddly, and I've been checking my figure's looking for a crew. All the best Jason

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
That`s really coming together nicely Jason....mind you, that wifey looks like a bit of an old slapper...
Cheers
Kev.

·
Registered
627 Posts
QUOTE (loosesalute @ 29 Jun 2012, 10:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>mind you, that wifey looks like a bit of an old slapper...

must be , looks like here shoes are on the wrong feet and her (not so) smalls around her knees! i have a good eye for detail....i just don't always apply it in the right way!!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks again for the kind comments, have made a little more progress . I got some embossed plasticard, took the shine off the tape with some wet and dry, and paneled out the back. Here's a pic. All the best Jason

·
Registered
304 Posts
Looking good so far Jason.
Really like the figures.
Are theses Transporter kits still available and if so who from?

cheers Cabb77

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Cabb, the Transporter kit I have is made by MMK/GMC of France, who may still have some available. I got mine from Scaleslotcars, Pendles and MRE have some really nice looking Transporters made by Protoslot, not the same as this one but like I said real nice looking. No progress made with mine except I have decided on a crew and I now have some matte clear acrylic varnish to tone down those shiny runners. Kind regards Jason

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've not given up on this transporter, despite the lack of updates, and any real progress. I have managed to find time to do a little more detail to the front. Here's where I'm at. Regards Jason

1 - 20 of 35 Posts