SlotForum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
What a great review Marlon, and excellent pictures.

I really like the MMK cars, it is just a shame they don't seem able to fit headlamp covers.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Thanks for the review Marlon. I love these MMK models despite the lack of glass!

Here are a couple of MMK's from my own collection:

I agree with your comment regarding the instrument panel. The amount of detailing here seems to vary considerably from model to model: on the one hand the Aston's dash is nicely represented while in stark contrast the Lister Jaguar has no instrumentation detailing at all.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Great review Marlon, and nice to see these cars getting some coverage!

I'm a huge fan of the range - they're just about the only RTR (for want of a better description) cars that I'm buying at the moment. I love the way they perform on the track - much better in my opinion than the overweight Slot Classics (although I still like them too!)

My only niggle with them is the drivers - I wish they'd been detailed. One day I will take a brush to them.....

Paul

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
QUOTE (Aberstone @ 4 Oct 2004, 21:22)John where did you find those terrific cobbles ?
Hi Phil

The cobbles are cast from a mould produced by Hirst Arts. One of my many dream projects is to make a targa style slot track and I was planning on a section using this kind of effect.

Here is their web site if you'd like to take a look:

Hirst Arts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Excellent review! You have captured the overall experience of driving these wonderful cars very well.

The big issue with this car is of course the price and as it was said very well in the review it can be "prohibitive" for many.

I have bought two MMks and they are great fun on the track. I have let many try my cars and they ar universally popular. I feel this is how slot cars should perform.

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
QUOTE MMK's are really expensive if I recall, can the price be justified by the quality of the car?

Yes.

·
Registered
195 Posts
QUOTE (TSRF @ 6 Oct 2004, 04:10)QUOTE MMK's are really expensive if I recall, can the price be justified by the quality of the car?

Yes.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The cars are beautiful, and expensive, yes, but worth every penny. The problem with MMk it's the erratic behavior of the owner. He has been acting in a way that his cars will be not seen in spanish shops in the near future. He has cut the relations with the distributor and has come to the Masadas market for two months, tyring to sell directly.

I own 6 of them and some more are on the queue, and If my local dealer can put the things on a acceptable way perhaps I will subscribe to his issues (those Jaguar, Aston Martin, Alfa Romeo and Ferrari of the classic years are awesome, in Le Mans colours, the Mille Miglia or the old Nurburgring)

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Marlon

I got the new Maserati Tipo today, from MMK.

The car is probably the worst car I have ever had "out of the box". The rear wheels were not fixed to the axle and the motor was really loose and would not turn the rear wheels.

Not really a problem though as a quick strip down and the application of two part resin and superglued bearings and all was OK.

The car then ran great, a little noisy at first, but did quieten down after a fair few laps.
The tyres they have fitted do seem to grip on Sport track very well, certainly better than Ninco or Carrera Classic tyres.

The car does look good and the finish is fair.

Is it worth the price?......Well I paid about 75% of list price and I still think it was overpriced. I would suggest that a retail price of about £50- £60 would be fair for these cars, certainly not for their quality but for their rarety.

Would I buy any more?........Just show me where they are , and I'll negotiate a price.
Regards

Alan

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Hi Alan,

Glad you got it running OK. As I said in the review didn't have a problem with running the Jag from the box but could see potential for problems the way the rear axle was fixed and decided to glue before I hit trouble.

As far as price goes as per the closing statement in the review these cars can be hard to justify, but for me they're picking such great cars to model that just aren't available anywhere else and I can't resist

PS I also have one of the Peugeot Darlmats (MMK02 Ebay £49) which had a rather dubious way of fixing the motor in place which required some gluing because it had the same problem as your Tipo. The motor fixing on the Jag seems to be much more reliable. I guess it must be hit and miss on the actual design they choose as they don't seem to have a standard way of holding/mounting motors or rear axles.

Best regards,
Marlon.

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Marlon... Managed to get hold of the Salvadori/Clarke Aston today for £53 so I'm happy.

Regards

Alan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts