SlotForum banner

Model shops in London

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  JAK 
#1 ·

Hi All
Got to make a trip to London Olympia this week. Anybody know of any good model shops in the area to take a look at? There are none where I live so a trip to London could be handy!

Thanks
Vince

See less See more
#3 ·
Never ceases to amaze me that there doesn't appear to be a decent purveyor of models in the big smoke.

Maybe you should try contacting the likes of Gaugemaster and Hornby to see if they have dealers listed anywhere near where you are heading.

#4 ·
Yes- it's really tragic. All the places I knew as a kid turned into coffee shops and video rentals years ago. The only place I would say worth searching out in town would be the 'Model Shop' that USED to be in Moorfields, but even they've moved lately- anyone know where? They sold materials and tools rather than kits, but a great source for scratchbuilding stuff.

#6 ·
Tropi,

That is a good link you have provided, I have used that on a number of occasions to track down a shop with pretty good results, it does work well.

Personally, regarding shops in London, Modelzone is one of the best out of the (sadly) small choice on offer.

Jamie

#7 ·
A coincidence as I was about to ask a similar question. I'm poorly served by local shops so anywhere that sells more than Scalextric, Airfix/Tamiya and Games Workshop would be of interest. I'm on a trip to central London next week and hoping to sneak a visit or two while I'm there.

I've been disappointed with the quality of recent items purchased via the Net (not slot related) and would like to see as many items as I can in the flesh so that I can have more confidence in future Net buys.

Is Modelzone what used to be Beatties (I have been informed I have been there years ago when I was younger.)?

#8 ·
QUOTE (JAK @ 27 Apr 2004, 08:47)Is Modelzone what used to be Beatties (I have been informed I have been there years ago when I was younger.)?
I made that connection too, JAK!

The original Beatties was at Holborn, and I have very distant memories of going in there in the mid sixties. I can't recall the slotcars on display (though I expect that's why we were there) but seem to retain images of little wooden "skips" with all the various Meccano parts known to man. And the proper green & red stuff, not this new fangled blue & yellow!

Don't forget if you go to Modelzone and are a Hornby Racer member to ask for your discount!

Mr.M

#9 ·
As you know there's little in London.
For your information this is what I found.

ModelZone - good selection of kits, die-casts, railways and slots. On the slot front they had Scalex. Carrera and Fly. Don't want to add to the Fly debate but I couldn't see what is so good about them to be charging so much more than other makes. The quality of the plastic on some cars is very poor and transparent it makes the cars look like cheap toys. Having said that I did buy a Fly Corvette. Well it was under half price so less than a Scalex.

Hamleys Good selection of every thing once you accept the bounty they add for the pleasure of you purchasing from them - I thought my local shop over charged but they obviously have some lessons to learn. They had Scalex. Carrera and Revell. First time I've seen a Revell so was pleased with what I saw as I might be tempted to purchase a Porsche 550 when they're released to add to my Jimmy Dean collection. He should have stayed with MG when he took up racing - You've got to walk before you can run.

EF Russ, Clapham - a good window display doesn't prepare you for the shock when you go inside. Its like my Grandad's garden shed with lots of drawers and cupboards and high shelves split up like pigeon holes. It was difficult to see what stock he had - all the Scalex stuff was above head height so I didn't see much. I expect he's a great local shop as the drawers contain all sorts of obscure items and he was being very helpful to the customer who was there at the same time as me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.