Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Dave Capelen
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Peter

I'm not in the same league as that guy from India...!

I just want it for a few jobs that the Dremel can't cope with and that require accuracy.

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I have got a nice one (Unimat) for sale & it's pretty light for what it is but still shipping to the U.K might be prohibitive!

Still, if you go on epay you should be able to get one reasonably cheap over there!

Sherline is the Cadilac of small lathes

but, old Unimats are quite good for light duty work and very versitile!

Here's one of the two I have, this one is one I stripped & repainted & left in Lathe format. The other is set up as a mill & was in decent shape to start. One of the two is for sale (probably this one), because I also have a Sherline!

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
I had an axmister micro lathe before we moved out to crete which was great for making wheels and bearings etc ,good value for money .well worth checking out .

·
Dave Capelen
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys

Thanks for all the comments.

The Unimat, Sherline or Axminster would seem to be fine for what I want.

Things like bearings, wheels, spacers, maybe metal gears etc and other small jobs is what I was thinking of using it for. For those things when it's not possible (or too expensive) to buy something ready-made.

I've just been told someone locally may have one, so I'll check that out tonight at our club-night.

Cheers
Dave

·
Dave Capelen
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Eddie

That looks the sort of thing I need for my modelling bits and pieces.

Is there a milling function, or attachment that can do that?

Cheers
Dave

·
Eddie Grice
2,295 Posts
QUOTE (Slotcarmann @ 20 Oct 2011, 11:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is there a milling function, or attachment that can do that?
I'm not aware of one but that's not to say there isn't!
The guys very helpful & I'm sure will advise if you ask.
Eddie

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
IMO any of the rebranded variable speed Micro lathes are good value. I would look at a 14" (350mm) if your budget will extend that far. These are sold under various brand name around the world, Axminster just being one. The version gasowder has linked to should do all you need.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ey Up Guys.

I have the AxminsterSIEG mini-lathe. At £213 it is a bargain.

However I also purchased the Compound Slide @ £19, and Tungsten Carbide tool set @ £17, and a Magnetic work-light @£50, Making £300 all in.

Absolutely brilliant.

No connection with Axminster Power Tools whatsoever, just a very satisfied customer.

vbr Chris A.

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,214 Posts
QUOTE (CJA @ 20 Oct 2011, 12:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ey Up Guys.

I have the AxminsterSIEG mini-lathe. At £213 it is a bargain.

However I also purchased the Compound Slide @ £19, and Tungsten Carbide tool set @ £17, and a Magnetic work-light @£50, Making £300 all in.

Absolutely brilliant.

No connection with Axminster Power Tools whatsoever, just a very satisfied customer.

vbr Chris A.

I've had a few tools from Axminster who are always on the ball sorting out problems, and unless the policy has changed, the £213 for the lathe included shipping?

Peter

·
re member
4,019 Posts
I dont have a lathe but often wonder what tasks could be completed if I had one.
Could some members tell me the sort of thing a lathe could be used for regards scratchbuilding and modifying slotcars.
TIA

munter

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Arc Euro Trade are another company selling the SIEG CO lathe (same as the Axminster supplied SIEG mini-lathe Chris was recommending)

Link

Arc Euro Trade include some extra items in the package which look worth the few pounds extra they are charging.

Anybody any experience of dealing with Arc Euro Trade?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've got a Proxxon 230D lathe for several years now, and I'm very pleased with it. There's always a possibility to get spear part, and all sorts of gadgets are separately available for a specific jobs.
After service is also very good. I recently had a tooth that broke of a pinion in the gear box due to my own fold
. I did an e-mail to the mother factory in Germany and within 2 days a new replacement part arrived by post, I don't know many places where you get such a good service.
I even saw that they are selling kits now to turn the lathe into CNC driven machine.
What I'm finely want to say buy a machine that has technical possibilities with a good back up service.
Cheers,
Danny

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
My brother asked me this morning to list his Myford ML10 on ebay, before I go to the trouble of doing so, would anyone here like to express an interest? Regards Jason

1 - 20 of 23 Posts