SlotForum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Its only possible in 1:24 scale, 1:32 simply doesnt allow the space for the motor, like Gary allready wrote.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I have a vac formed bodied Ferrari F1/89A in 1/24 made by Oyk japanese company and while not the most current F1 shows that a side winder would be more suited to 1/24.
REgards Allan

·
Administrator
9,796 Posts
But those were in approx. 1/27 Phil.... In 1/24 there was the Vanwall by Grand Prix King F/D (friction drive) given away by Texaco for a tank of gas.

However, there is one in 1/32 by one of the German manufacturers, Marklin I think, or maybe Fleischmann, since most of their cars were sidewinders, an F2 model, but not sure of the make (BMW??). Maybe one of the German collectors can help us out, or this will job your memory Phil.

And if you want to get really obscure, the old French GéGé cars also had a sort of sidewinder motor with rubber band drive... these were a very indiscrimate scale, somewhat smaller than 1/32 but mostly out of scale entirely! They made a sharknose Ferrari (who didn't!) and a couple other F1 cars...
Don

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
Can't think of any others, the German cars you are thinking of are probably the Marklin cars which have an inline motor with a sort of sidewinder drive

·
Administrator
9,796 Posts
I love it when you're wrong Phil!

It is indeed a Marklin, but a true sidewinder, of the ... McNamara Ford, whatever that is... Mine's in yellow, with a black stripe and a BP decal in front of the windwhield, but don't know if that's original.

Estrella of Brazil also made some very nice anglewinder F1s with a brass chassis and 16D type motor, listed as 1/32, but actually in 1/24 due to some obscure Brazilian law... These were probably fron the 1980s...
Don

·
Administrator
9,796 Posts
PS, Phil, to show that I'm a magnanimous guy, I'd be glad to trade you this EXTREMELY RARE 1/32 sidewinder F1 car for something of equivalent value, say a Cox Gurney Ford if you still happen to have that one...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Instead of a full sidewinder or angle winder for a Formula type car because of width restraints, I tried this to get the advantage of the torque reaction of the sidwinder and that style drive with this setup. It is a sidewinder type rear axle drive setup but being fed power by a inline drive train with an idler gear setup. This is in a 1/24th set up now and works well in a narrow 68 Indy turbine body.

I have a project in mind to reduce the width even more and build it up to fit in a 1/32nd scale formula car. It will work with some more squeezing together of the components.

The idler gears are 35 tooth each to provide a one to one drive ratio and the rear end ratio depends on the inline gear ratio which is 3.5 to one in this setup. The car runs very nicely with sidewinder characteristics in cornering and coming out of corners quickly.

The two idler gears in the 1/32nd version scale car could be located inboard of the rear axle bearings to the right of the inline gears in the 1/32nd scale chassis. Could be very interesting to get into when I get some time.

Larry S.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
No that's simply brilliant, Larry! I am constantly amazed at the ingenuity, skill, and craftsmanship of the posters here at SF.

Merry Christmas,
Paul
Circuit TrustChrist

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I love it when you're wrong Phil!

It is indeed a Marklin, but a true sidewinder, of the ... McNamara Ford, whatever that is... Mine's in yellow, with a black stripe and a BP decal in front of the windwhield, but don't know if that's original.

Don that car is an indy car not Formula 1. I had one!
Regards Allan

·
Administrator
9,796 Posts
Thanks Phil and Allan for the correction.
Guess the name should have tipped me off, but I had just asseumed a German company would only make an F1 model (lesson: never assume!).

Seems the McNamara Fords ran at the 1970 and 1971 Indy 500 races, and Mario Andretti finished 6th in one in 1970 - I just have the listings, not a picture, but I assume this is the same car.
Don

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
It's the only picture I could find, thanks Derek.

They were made some twenty years ago, so although they run smoothly like most German products of the day, they are not very quick.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Merci, Phil

I was asking because in France, we are able to find as much german cars as english ones. Let's say Stabo or Fleishmann are easier to peek than MRRC or Airfix (Fortunately, there is internet and some good dealers...)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Larry,
I like that. I am racking my brains trying to find something to put a chassis like that under.
When you go 1/32, I don't see any reason why the 2 spur gears could not be mounted inboard of the bearings.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts