SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am cleaning up and re-painting a Scaley C16 Ferrari P4 into a static model for my layout and need decals to reproduce the 1967 red/yellow striped Le Mans car (as done by Racer).
Can anyone offer any links as to where I might be able to get some ?

Also, if I end up making a good job of re-working the body shell I might be inclined to want to motorise it. Would it be a big task to drop it onto a modern Scaley or Fly chassis ?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Cheers....Mark

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
I say this quite often with this type of question but it really is a good choice..

Contact 'Iceman' from this forum. His decals are top notch and as custom as you need them.

·
Registered
759 Posts
That sounds very interesting!

I have the same sort of projest running too with an old scaley body I was given (it had a broken windscreen and a bit rough wheelarches but it looks nice now that the body is slightly reshaped and painted to go with a new windscreen from Pendle Slot (thanks Sean). I'd planned to make mine into this livery: # 22 Red with white stripe
I wrote to Sean and asked weather the decals would be released separatly from the Racer kits, but he said they wouldn't. I haven't found any other source for any of our requested liveries. So I just resigned and ordered the decals for the P4 from Pattos place and they just include the #21, 25, 26 and 33. And I was going to repaint the body for these instead. Would Iceman make decals for any car? Or could I maybe make a digital file and then send it to him and have him print it? I've seen his decal work on some of his cars and it just looks awsome!!!

Don't know wether a fly chassis would fit, but I made a brass chassis for mine and put Fly wheels on and it looks pretty nice. All I need now is an interior, motorblock and some decals. By the way it runs great too. You'll have to get it motorized cause it's a beauty to watch going around the track. ...and it's way cheaper than the Racer that I just can't afford.

Toby

·
Registered
759 Posts
I just came to think of this... I don't think any of the Fly classic chassis would fit cause the body is to narrow to fit the Fly sidewinder pod and standard wheels. You could of course trim the wheels down in width, but it might look silly.

Toby

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Bastumannen !

I already have a reply from Iceman and he is going to help with the decals I need. He is a bit busy with other things right now but he think he might have something for me after Christmas.

Not sure if the Racer decals would have been any good because I think the Racer P4's are slightly oversize so maybe the decals would look a bit big on a Scaley P4 ?

To try and get the paint to stick to the plastic I will be sanding down the entire body to give it a slightly rough finish and also give it a real good wash in detergent. Hopefully this will allow the paint to adhere to the plastic well enough to last a few years.

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
You will find that whatever you do the paint won't stick, this kind of plastic is naturally sort of oily and no matter what you do the paint won't stay on!
The car will be ok if you don't knock it about to much, but a few off tracks and a bit of flexing of the plastic will soon have the paint coming off.
Over the years I have seen plenty of this range of cars painted and it just does not stick.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Phil,

My intention for this car is to have it as a static model on my layout but I was considering motorising it if I made a good job of re-working it.

Taking your point about this type of plastic it sounds like I should stick with my original plan to have it permanently parked up in the pits !!

Thanks for your interest

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi Toby,

I can make decals for any car that you want to do.I few things would be helpful.
Pictures of the car that you want to do,front,rear,sides,roof.
The manufacturer and the car that you will use.(so I may size the decals properly)
Swiss has sent me some high quality pictures,so when I need to,in Corel Draw I can vector line draw,using his pictures.(vector line draw = tracing)
If I was to just print out his pictures onto decal paper,the edges would be ragged.Using vector line drawing, the edges come out crisp.
My email : [email protected]

Iceman

·
Registered
759 Posts
Hi Iceman! Thank you very much for the invite
. I'll gather some info and I send you an E-mail with the required pics etc. How many cars have you made decals for this far? I've seen some of your work with the modern F1 cars and they look fantastic! So I'd be truely greatful if you were to take the time

Interesting about the paint not sticking to this specific plastic.
Where could I find that Krylon fusion paint, Al? Is it a specific brand or just a type of paint. Otherwise would enamel (Humbrol) or acrylic (Tamiya) be the better?

Thanks for all the input guys!

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Krylon is a paint company in the North Americas,and they developed a paint specifically for plastic garden furniture(Tuperware/Buckets etc.)called Fusion.

It is designed specifically to bond to these types of plastics,and works pretty well.

Humbrol/Tamiya,or any other types of model paints will just flake right off.

The nice thing is,although,it comes in very few collors,almost all available colors are Vintage Car colors,or close enough to be useable.

Light(Ferrari)and Dark(Maseratti Maroon)Red,Light and Dark Blue,Light and Dark Green

1 - 14 of 14 Posts