Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
9,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if anybody else noticed this recent ebay auction. Looks like a fairly nice old painted Strombecker Ferrari 250 GT0 with the full competition kit. But there were a couple unusual items that piqued my interest and made me buy it...

Now that I have it, still not sure what it was meant to do: there are the wide contacts, so must have been for some special track system, or perhaps just a 4-contact strip setup to run two cars in one lane. And there's also that huge capacitor, and maybe a little diode in the circuit - or is that just a filter to cut down on interference? And there's a very stiff, self-centering spring for the guide...

Either way, looks like somebody was trying to invent something! Anybody with a better knowledge of electronics than me have any ideas?

Don

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
My guess is the diode is there to do half wave rectification and the capacitor to smooth out the AC. Looks like it was a lane switching set of some kind with AC on the rails and controller for the negative wave and a controller for the positive wave like in the Scalextric datsun pick-up truck set. So two cars can run in the same slot, there must have been some lane switching method on the track.

·
Administrator
9,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Riko, thanks for confirming that this is indeed a diode, and explaining possible use of capacitor.

Actually, reading your post, I thought of a much more prosaic answer: maybe it was just modified to fit the Eldon Selectronic setup, since they used an AC/diode system and I believe the rails were spaced a bit more than usual...

Don

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Hi Don,

intriguing !.

Very clean, doesn't seem to have done much "mileage", maybe it didn't work !!.

That centering spring looks a bit of an afterthought, perhaps it kept shorting across the car's tapes.

vbr Chris.

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Nice Don. Eldon track was pretty normal contact wise, nowhere near what that is set up for.

Now, early Marx on the other hand, had very wide rails, just like HO track but bigger. From the look of the lower (left hand) contact, it looks like it was running on a rail rather than a flat strip.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Hi Don
I had read a article in the 1964 February issue of Model car Science that had a section on how to build your own crossover track.
A small qoute for the article.
Diodes in the series with each controller transmit either positive or negative current from thier respective controllor.
Below this it states that this modifation may be made for Strombecker, Aurora, Eldon most other commonly available make.( Page 55 )Comes complet with diode locations on the cars

The article just before this was a Track test of the Strombecker Berlinetta and Testa Rosa with competition accessory group. From the look of things you had a avid reader trying out this adaptation. The pick-ups are very inventive great find.
I hope this helps a littel.
I would list a photo but Im still new and have a hard time loading pictures.
Cheers Rick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts