SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if there are any modified slot car bodies. If there are any modified racefans here they will know what i am talking about. You know like a Brett Hearn, Tim Mcreadie, ect.

·
Premium Member
5,678 Posts
Okay, anyone kind enough to give me and the others here who don't know what you mean by "modifieds" a clue here?

I've seen many US sites that mention it but none that give me, a simple country bumpkin from Blighty, a notion of what they are.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi

Modifieds origninally were what you might also know as "Hot Rods". Take a production car, strip it, add more power, modifiy it to work.
Dominated tracks everywhere in the US for a long time. There were even places in the 40s and 50s were they were entered and won road races against "modern" european sports cars.
NASCAR had the idea of introducing the manufacturers and sponsorship into racing and tried to shut down the modifieds. It was a problem that some guy in a garage might build a racecar that would beat the "premier" series.

Anyway, with time, sponsorship also trickled down to the modifieds. Though never as with the Stockers. However, clever people can build wll. These days they are rules limited "scratchbuilt" tube frame racers that, like a US pro-car, bears only a vague resemblence to a street car.

First time I saw a "sports car": My dad was building Hot Rods and Modifieds part time in his garage after his "real" job. I grew up going out and working on these cars. So, there was a race going on on open roads for "sports cars" and we went to watch because a few guys were running "our" hotrods. Guy wrecked a healey. We later went to the junk yard to pour over it. The Motor was a LUMP. But my dad liked the steering box. So, we took it home and put it into our supercharged Studebaker Hawk.
The modifieds on the SCI page refer to those days when people would buy junkers and turn them into race cars.

Fate

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE These days they are rules limited "scratchbuilt" tube frame racers that, like a US pro-car, bears only a vague resemblence to a street car.

Yes. Today's modifieds are to 1:1 racing what "thingies" are to slot racing...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes indeed they are some of the best racing around. they are alot better then those nascar drivers who cry everytime there car fishtails, modified drivers throw their car into the corner and slide into the dirt.

·
Rich Dumas
3,669 Posts
Check out this site for the real thing: http://www.vintagemodifieds.com/. When I was a kid every garage, speed shop, junkyard, marina and chicken farm had a modified. One week I went to four races. Every car was a one-of-a-kind, not the mass produced stuff they run today. In HO the Johnny Lightning '40 Willys makes a good coupe body. I have seen a reissue of the old AMT 1/25th modified that would do for that scale. Back in the '60s someone had a line of 1/32nd model kits that included a '37 Chevy and a '34 Ford Victoria.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts