SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm in the process of moving to digital. It seemed like the most cost effective way of making the change was buying used sets on ebay but in the process you end up with a whole bunch of superfluous power bases (both digital and the old analogue). I was wondering whether there was any way of using these as half straights. I don't think I can just include them in the track but I wondered how easy/difficult it would be to convert them.

Has anyone out there tried this?

·
Greg Gaub
15,365 Posts
Yeah, but when you have a layout that will only come together with one more half straight in the right place and either the stores are closed or you live too far away from one to just go buy a new pack of track, a quick desolder job might be priceless.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks - that's helpful. I get that spending an evening converting powerbases to half straights might not be worth the £5 saved over buying used ones on ebay but it might be fun! Good to know it's possible

·
Mike
629 Posts
I converted my old ones to power taps and know exaclty where they are in the circuit cause of the line on them also it makes it easier as they are also numbered on top so you can move them and keep all connections going the right way

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally got around to doing this tonight and I stripped a 4 car digital and an analogue powerbase. I didn't bother to de-solder, I just pulled the wires. Didn't take more than a few minutes so probably worth while.

I took a couple of pictures in case I ever want to wire them up again (can't really see it!).

Someone suggested on another thread that keeping a spare powerbase is good for ID'ing cars which I can kind of see except that the power adaptors aren't cheap and are both plugged in to my C7042.

Someone also suggested keeping a powerbase for sanding tyres and that might well be a smart move. Not sure whether it's worth trying to attach sandpaper and some kind of 'stop' to the track so that I can just place the car down and go. Be interested if anyone's done anything along these lines ...

·
Greg Gaub
15,365 Posts
I included a powered slot for tire sanding/cleaning on my driver stations. It's a great too to have handy. I wouldn't expect everyone to go as nuts as me, so a spare bit of track with a DC power supply connected to it, or even just a 9v battery or any other battery pack on hand, is good. Have some high and low grit sandpaper on hand for sanding... I especially recommend drywall screen because it allows the rubber to be kicked down and away from the sanding surface. Also having a wet rag on hand to clean the schmutz off of tires is helpful.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you have a picture?

I couldn't even tell you what sandpaper I'm using!! (just whatever was laying around in my garage)

Makes a significant difference though - I reckoned sanding was worth something like 10% off a lap time (even on cars where I'd sanded the tyres a couple of weeks beforehand).

·
Greg Gaub
15,365 Posts
Here's a pic of one of my driver stations prior to wiring and installation:

The two small rectangular blocks with a slot between them is where I put some copper tape and wired through a switch directly to my power supply. During a race, I put a wet rage behind that to quickly clean tires. When I want to sand or scuff new tires, I put a small block that I glued some drywall screen to. The type of sandpaper isn't as important as constantly moving the tires back and forth and not doing it with a lot of pressure or for too long. If you don't allow the tires to stay cool, the rubber will melt and be ruined.

·
Greg Gaub
15,365 Posts
Yeah, I definitely went all out. Somewhere to hang the controller and a dedicated plug or extension cable is really enough. A drink holder isn't a bad idea, though. ;-)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.