SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goal: Build a rally track with a fixed core (in my case 4'x8') to which I can attach modules.
I will build at this stage 4 additional routed modules, three 2'x4' and one 4'x4'. There will be
also two alternative plain modules where plastic track can be put on. The track will have one
lane but it will have modules to make it two lanes.

Reason for the goal: I want to have a non-permanent layout, a layout more appropriate to
tuning cars, the possibility to create driving elements and incorporate them into the track.

Restrictions: space. Well to some of you the space I am using might not be so little but I
want a track that when not in use it will look like a plain 4'x8' table in the backyard.

Scenery? Well, serviceable maybe minimal. Ideally I would like scenery that would be immersive,
that would make fast driving not look so out of scale and not a worry about being destroyed by
or destroying the cars.

Started last weekend and this is where I am now. I would like to have the track running next week.

I have routed the core. Built and routed one of the module, build another module and I am close to
finishing building the 4'x4' module. The 4'x4' module does something that has been in my mind for a
while, a loooooong curve, obtainable only as you have guessed as a spiral. I hope that when it is
done it will look plausible and not abstract.

Two modules and the core (as usual a long straight is present around 4 meters)

The 4'x4' module with the "hill spiral" that will end with a bridge.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
An interesting start! We shall be watching this one closely.

I think modular scenery is the answer too. If it overlaps the joins in the track sections a dn can be moved about it will make it even more versatile and interesting.

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
QUOTE the spiral hillside should be great fun

Yes it is.
I have also a spiral on my Scalextric track.
Because this bend is so long, you can easy regulate how sideways you want to go.

RallyP
Have a lot of fun building your new modular track.

rallyhub

The spiral on the Scalextric track

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Thanks for the encouraging words. It will be interesting to find simple solutions to some of the technical aspects of building a modular track.

I have a question to the ones that did it already or have thought about it. How do you join the modules? I am going to use dowels, do you know of any problems with this? Is it easy?

Graham, on the core part I will have a driving element and scenery module that will cover the empty space on the right and will be the continuation of the module on the right. I want that part have mild elevations but since I want the core to be flat this part will be made as a put over module.

Sig, the great thing about this hobby is its immense possibilities. I enjoy finding simple ways to build natural or fun driving elements. The scenery theme is not chosen yet that shows that my emphasis is not there, but the general theme is roads and off roads in the country side. I might try South of Portugal feeling.
Yes, I accepted the SCX hosting I think it will be fun, I will also be entering a car in the modified class. In part this track is being built for me to tune the car.

Rallyhub, yes I also hope that the spiral will be great fun. I had in one of my many semi-permanent layouts a very long mild curve and it was so much fun to find the sweet speed spot.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
good thinking dreamer, the wooden dowels are meant for sticking permanently, would be awkward to pull out

if not then what about those things they use for ikea furniture and the like, a screw in steel bolt and a kind of swivel lock nut on the other side, that tightens the joint but later releasable, no idea what they´re called, any carpenters out there?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Sig, those are called cam locks and you could get them at Ikea but they're really not made to hold anything together without other support. You'll notice the Ikea stuff that uses them also uses dowels in the same joint to line them up. I just drilled large holes in the frames under my wood layout and bolted it together with large bolts and nuts. It's strong, and removeable.

Randy

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for all the suggestions and warnings. I will not try the dowel approach and will go for something similar to Randy's suggestion. I might use clamps instead of bolts. I guess it will be more expensive but will require less precision, which was something I was dreading with the dowels.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I don't know if you were watching the Pioneer Brooklands test track build I did a few weeks ago, but we used 1/4" steel bar routed into the sides to align the tops of the boards and bolts to align the slots and pull the table together.
Look for topic "The Pioneer Brooklands Test Track"

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Thanks for the extra info. I am now informed about several great solutions. AAWSCC your build is very impressive, several light years beyond my carpenter abilities.

Not that much time to put on the track, but I could not resist to spend it eLeCtRfYiNg the little track I have routed.

Interestingly, when I tried it my controller had some type of short and the cars where going crazy and I could not control them.
For a moment there since this is kind of my first wood track (I have a little section on the Safari track that is on wood) I thought: Wow! Driving on wood is a whole different experience, but soon realized that the controller was behaving as a on and off switch. Uff!

Some pictures of the electrification, which are probably only exciting to the builder.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Found a theme, I just moved northwest from the Safari rally in Kenya. I will do the Rallye International du Maroc. Why? Because the real one is gorgeous and I think it shouldn't be very difficult to do the scenery (which is supposed to be minimal, remember this track is really for tuning the cars, I want a track where the cars can go fast without deslots).

I played with some spray for giving texture to walls. Interesting but not to be repeated, too expensive and I think I can do similar with joint compound. In fact a a good texture was obtained with paint and tile grout but this does not create volume it is more of a finish.
Here are some pictures.

As you see above I started playing with colors. Below these color experiments are taken further. Comments are welcome.
I overdid on the the number of little rocks (I always do this at the beginning).

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
So far so good. You don't muck around much.

With the flat track would you be better grabbing a handful of little rocks and just tossing them at the surface and glue them where they land?

Morocco. Hmm... You'll be looking for some horses and camels for this one then.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Ember, I already have some camels prepared.

New module designed, routed, painted and a tree planted. This is a module for the rally fan, hopefully a sliding fest.

The first sliding element is around a tree, the second amybe also around a tree, but do you have any other suggestions?

Here are pictures of the new module.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
jesus , you blink and its already done!, the centre of the other slider needs to be one of those super macho desert nomads on his sleek black horse kicking up on its hind legs, the nomad would probably have a rifle too.....i think i need to see a therapist!

good work mr p keep it coming

·
Lars Ole
1,640 Posts
After the tree it has to go around a looted and burned out truck.......smoke machine

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Dead truck's a good idea.

I was going to be boring and suggest weaving in and out among power pylons. They were the only things I could remember actually seeing at the side of the road in the few videos of Morocco I watched yesterday.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great ideas. I am more in a realistic rally mood , sorry sig (but the idea of the horse and the car spinning around would be great). Lars, the dead truck is a possibility but as Ember puts it I want something more boring like a power pylon or a natural element. The power pylon has the problem that this track is modular so I can not have wires going from one part of the track to another.

Did build the structure of another module but no routing or painting maybe later today.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.