SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Kevs Racing Bits
It's not far off what the guys in Spain use for Rally WRS cars and they fly round a track.

Registered
Those black rods look like they could be carbon fiber. You can buy such from McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com). And not that expensive. The rods make the chassis widely adjustable. Great design.

I like the way the printed chassis components have all those rectangular holes, making them both light and stiff. Also inspired design.

The one thing I think could be improved is the location of the guide. I'd truncate the extended guide flag, make the whole guide shorter and move it as far forward as possible. A long guide lead helps handling.

Ed Bianchi
York Pennsylvania USA

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The one thing I think could be improved is the location of the guide. I'd truncate the extended guide flag, make the whole guide shorter and move it as far forward as possible. A long guide lead helps handling.
The guide seems to be mounted on a drop arm so the position would be infinitely adjustable.
I think if i try my own design I will go with piano/music wire or use some of the stack of old welding rod I have :)

Registered
Definitely use piano/music wire. It is hard-drawn and typically has a tensile strength in excess of 400,000 pounds per square inch.

That translates to -- ready for this? -- about 2,800 MegaPascals. Yeah, 2.8 BILLION Pascals! That's a lot buddy, in any system of measurement.

Another impressive building material is miniature hard-drawn stainless steel tubing. That's the stuff they make hypodermic needles out of, You can get it with a wall thickness as thin as 0.004 inches -- about 0.1mm. McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com) carries it. Very stiff, very strong and super light, since it is hollow. Solders beautifully and strong with Sta-Brite solder and Stay Clean flux. Lookee here -- most of the chassis is tubing.

Ed Bianchi

Circuit component Automotive lighting Nickel Auto part Automotive super charger part

Kevs Racing Bits
I made this one two years ago for an old Scaley Lotus 25, it goes fantastic in our pre-wing F1 class.

I called it the 'Adjust-O' chassis. 54mm across the tyre walls and 9mm wide rear tyres.

Product Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the main appeal to me is the convenience of just cutting the rods to length for any sports or touring car..
As I'm printing in Resin if a part fails it can be easily replaced without printing the whole chassis.
Ive had problems with printed guides and mounts cracking , my last chassis used a Parma jet flag style guide with a screw on replaceable mounting plate.
So far it it seems to hold up a lot better :)

Kevs Racing Bits
I gave up on 3D printed guides, resin ones look good but only last for a while even printed in Siraya Blu/Tenacious.
FDM printed in PETG always break after a while no matter what orientation they're printed in. I've got Nylon and that should easily survive crashes but you can't print them in one piece to be perfectly flat top and bottom.
I went back to Slotingplus guides, never broken one and cheap enough.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went back to Slotingplus guides, never broken one and cheap enough.
I should heed your advice, i've been using Slotit wood track guides but everybody seems out of stock at the moment !
Ive just started using Siraya Blu , the Parma guide is printed in Blu and so far holding up .

Kevs Racing Bits
I should heed your advice, i've been using Slotit wood track guides but everybody seems out of stock at the moment !
Ive just started using Siraya Blu , the Parma guide is printed in Blu and so far holding up .
I don't like Slotit wood guides...too soft.

Registered
I experimented with filament-printed guides for quite a while, and finally gave it up. They all failed too easily under shock loads. Commercial injection-molded guides are much stronger, and shock-resistant, and can have small, useful features that are too difficult to print.

Printing parts gives you great design freedom, but they still have distinct shortcomings and weaknesses. For now guides are best purchased.

Ed Bianchi

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought I should report back and say the "Blu" guide broke up just as the ABS did.
They seem to get a lot more brittle after a couple of weeks.
Also once the guide brakes and leaves a chip in the slot the car hits it on the next lap and causes further destruction to guide and mount.
Kevan is right , I just ordered Slotingplus guides :cautious:

Kevs Racing Bits
I thought I should report back and say the "Blu" guide broke up just as the ABS did.
They seem to get a lot more brittle after a couple of weeks.
Also once the guide brakes and leaves a chip in the slot the car hits it on the next lap and causes further destruction to guide and mount.
Kevan is right , I just ordered Slotingplus guides :cautious:
Empirical multi-learning...test...learn...fail...move on...repeat ;)

re member
鈥淚 don't like Slotit wood guides...too soft.鈥
@ Kevan... you must be a rough tough hard man if you鈥檙e smashing them up.

Reactions: Kevan

Kevs Racing Bits
鈥淚 don't like Slotit wood guides...too soft.鈥
@ Kevan... you must be a rough tough hard man if you鈥檙e smashing them up.
Maybe in my early Slot car days (2015/16) and as I'm more than happy with slotingplus ones I never went back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts