SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi all, this is my "phoenix-project", a reboot of my hillclimb project ( https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=76388&page=1 ) that I sadly had to abort. You can read about the reasons on page 14 of that tread.

The good news is that I have learned so much and, for a while, have had a better idea about what I want to create.

The main idea is that this track will consist of two tables that I can attach to each other in different ways to create different tracks. Each table could also function independently as a smaller track. It will be wood, braid, two lanes and with scenery, and that's about what I know now.

SHQacgF.jpg

test routing

SEEp8eZ.jpg

0PRR1gK.jpg

tlyqG5o.jpg

CX43r1P.jpg

Thanks for watching!

edit: it seems that the last pics are huge, at least on my computer. They are hosted on imgur, but I cannot find a setting to define max photo size

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I am deeply concerned at the sight of that vacuum cleaner. That appears to be my "shop" cleaner from my lockup unit - however did you steal it and get back across the world in just 10 hours.

- On a more serious note - the usual procedure is to resize pictures before upload.

Something like IrfanView is free and does a lot of useful image management jobs.

https://www.irfanview.com/64bit.htm there is also a dropdown link for a 32 bit version if you have an older PC

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bet your vacuum cleaner doesn't sound as sketchy as mine
biggrin.png

About the pic size, thanks for the tips, I will look into it

I am deeply concerned at the sight of that vacuum cleaner. That appears to be my "shop" cleaner from my lockup unit - however did you steal it and get back across the world in just 10 hours.

- On a more serious note - the usual procedure is to resize pictures before upload.

Something like IrfanView is free and does a lot of useful image management jobs.

https://www.irfanview.com/64bit.htm there is also a dropdown link for a 32 bit version if you have an older PC

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Just a reminder that you don't have to load your pictures from a hosting site anymore. Just click on 'More Reply Options' and upload direct from your computer, that way you're not dependent on the hosting site and your pics won't disappear like in a lot of the older posts done before the site was upgraded. I used to host all my pictures on my own web site but now upload them all direct to the site as it does away with all the problems with hosted pictures.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did not know that, that's so much easier!

Just a reminder that you don't have to load your pictures from a hosting site anymore. Just click on 'More Reply Options' and upload direct from your computer, that way you're not dependent on the hosting site and your pics won't disappear like in a lot of the older posts done before the site was upgraded. I used to host all my pictures on my own web site but now upload them all direct to the site as it does away with all the problems with hosted pictures.

·
Rich Dumas
3,570 Posts
If you are using Imgur you can re-size your pictures. I prefer to re-size pictures before I upload them, but with Imgur it is easy enough to do.

GyHDSl9.jpg

If you click on a thumbnail in your album you will see the full sized image and the various linking codes. If you move the cursor to the area below the lower right hand corner of the picture edit image will appear, clicking on that will get you a menu where you can re-size your picture.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks RichD, somehow I did not see these options on Imgur anymore, so I just thought they were removed. I will take a better look, thanks

edit: I think I did not see those size options, because I uploaded them to Imgur without signing in

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
54729826_587513691763645_627160633619513

So, I started over with new board, because I left too little room between all the tracks, trying to cram as many corners in there as possible. This is the new track and I am happy so far. Now, let us all appreciate that lower left corner and all those corrected mistakes, before I cover it all up with paint Thanks for watching

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some progress: after I clad the chickenwire with plaster cast, I took a rough brush to apply plaster coloured with colouring powders brown and black. With this extra layer, I hide the plaster cast weave and add more detail to the surface. The advantage of coloured plaster is that it can chip off by a car crash without immediately showing the usual white damage markings. I have also started to paint the road surfaces. Thanks for watching!

ps: the "2 tables idea" is off the table :) The reason is that it got way too complicated for me to dive into so many new tech (for me at least) with 8 switches and lining the to tables up perfectly with some joint contraption; it felt like I was over complicating the project, not unlike the previous attempt

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Hi SlotPip,

Thank you for showing us the construction process of your latest scenic track. Will it be a rally-cross circuit, because of the gravel part?

The base looks really good (I assume that the blue cloth is not part of it).

rallyhub
thumbsup.gif

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Started with the grass. I use an applicator made from a fly swatter. I learned that I get a more natural and interesting effect when I fill the applicator with lumps of grass in different lengths and colors, without mixing them. When applying the grass, the different grasses will fall through randomly, creating the randomness and variations that make it look more convincing. The sun was so nice this morning that I had to take some quick pics. Thanks for watching!

Attachments

·
ParrotGod
7,920 Posts
Very realistic. And also very wise to not put down the braids until the landscape is fully finished!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks Beautiful . Cant wait for more pictures . What size is the layout please ? Maybe I missed it. Keep up the excellent work. Bob..................

1 - 20 of 24 Posts