Steve Hills
Frank Delarge
Alan McDonald
Neil Green
Russ Turner

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't worry George, it will be farters day at Molesey anyway.

Put my name down please and for a meal too.
Looking forward to this, another Ninco track, brilliant.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like i'm going to have to start this post under Molesey as I can't edit the first post with names of people who want to race, Mods?? please...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Drivers list for Molesey Slot.it event

Julian Edwards
Lee Green
Phil Upton
Mario Gatt
Greame Thoburn

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
This is the full set of rules and regs for the event, which gives more detail on the general format of the meeting and handout tyres etc.
Any questions, here's the place or pm me.

Thanks

Grand opening Group C Event June 16th & 17th.

Club address:
Molesey Slot Car Club,
Ray Road, West Molesey,
Surrey. KT8 2LG

This is a weekend event for as close to standard as possible Slot.it Group C models. With a few tweaks to try and put everyone on an even playing field.
There will also be a meal arranged for the Saturday night for those who wish to attend.
The race will take place on Sunday 17th June with practise available on the Saturday.
Club will open between 10am and 5pm on the Saturday for practise and will open at 9am on raceday with racing beginning at 10am sharp.
The action will take place on our new six lane, 170ft+ Ninco track.
Entry fee will be £10 for the Sunday (which includes one pair of tyres) and £5 for Saturday practise.
Each driver will race once on each lane with the best five from six times counting. The top 24 drivers will then progress to quarters, semi's and an 'A' and 'B' final.

Presentation of Trophies etc. will take place immediately after the finals.

Refreshments will be available all weekend.

General rules:
Cars will be presented for scrutineering with the bodyshell and rear tyres removed and once passed will be held in parc ferme for the duration of the event. Any work that needs to be carried out after this time must be done in parc ferme under the supervision of the scrutineer. Random scrutineering will take place throughout the event.
Lighter fluid and tape will be provided in parc ferme for tyre cleaning. Only the items provided in parc ferme can be used.
One pair of marked control tyres will be handed out after the car has passed scrutineering and these must last the duration of the event. The selected tyres will be BRM 22 shore 19x10, these cannot be glued or trued. Additional sets of tyres will be available for practise at cost.
Cars must start each race with all body elements present with the exception of mirrors, wipers and aerials. Matching wheel inserts must be present at all times.
Traction Magnets must be removed.

Eligible cars:
Porsche 956c/956kh, 962c/962kh, Jaguar XJR6/9/12, Sauber C9, Toyota 88c, Mazda 787b, Lancia LC2/LC285.

Regulations:
Cars must remain STANDARD apart from the following allowable changes:
• Cars can be fitted with either of the following two combinations: 0mm offset mount with 15.8mm rear wheels or 0.5mm offset mount with 16.5mm rear wheels. These two configurations cannot be mixed and matched!
• Standard front axle adjustment blocks can be replaced with grub screws top & bottom.
• Front tyres can be replaced with zero grip rubber and can be glued & trued.
• Chassis's can be lightly trimmed around the edges to allow improved body freedom. It will be down to the scrutineers discretion as to whether the trimming is excessive, so please keep it sensible.
• All Body and Motor mount screws are free choice and can be run loose, however these must be properly secured so they don't drop onto the track.
• Overall rear axle width can be increased to a maximum of 65mm but wheels/tyres must not be visible when the car is viewed from above.

The following components are deemed 'free choice' : Body/Mount screws, Front tyres, Braids and Motor wires.

Please note, the only motor allowed for this event is the Slot.it V12/3, 21,[email protected], Orange bellend, supplied as STANDARD in all new Slot.it group C's. It can only be fitted inline with the orange endbell rearmost, as per the STANDARD model.

The scrutineers decision will be final and as always if it doesn't say you can do it, YOU CAN'T!!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Entry list update.

Julian Edwards
Lee Green
Phil Upton
Mario Gatt
Graeme Thoburn
Josh Bryant

Just a reminder, this event is open to everyone. If you're interested please add your name to the list.
Also, this event is being held on the new Ninco circuit, NOT the old Slotfire circuit, so should be much closer racing.

Cheers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
This event is being held on the new Ninco circuit, NOT the old Slotfire circuit, so should be much closer racing.

We are open for practice within the next two weeks, you are welcome to join us on a Monday or Thursday. Please contact us before you come down.

Please feel free to contact [email protected] or call Neil on 07767 850488
Club address: 4 Ray Road, West Molesey, Surrey KT8 2LG, junction of Beauchamp Road

pictures and vid below, wip.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Fred, if you are alluding to the Group C events this winter and the rules for the "Winter Series", then i can assure you that a lot of "common sense" was applied when these simple rules were made.
I think that most racers have older Slot It cars and therefore it is a very simple joib to swap pods and wheels to a newer car, just as it is simple to swap the pod/wheels from new to old. The main reason for not using 16.5 rims is that everyone will need to use these as there will be a speed advantage on a long straight. Therefore most racers who have older cars and can't afford to purchase newer models will be at a disadvantage.
It is well documented that the recent Group C events produced some excellent close racing and this years events will hopefully produce the same but we have to have a "level playing" field to start with. Julian's rules show a different approach to "common sense" and i agree with them also. It would be good to msee you and some of your club members enter the "Winter Series" and i am sure that you can lay your hands on the correct parts. All the hosting clubs have spare pods and wheels that can be borrowed for the day.
All the best, Graeme.

·
fred
1,608 Posts
Hi Graeme,

The last thing I want to do is have another disagreement with someone over technical issues, but racing slot.it cars as box standard makes perfect sense to me with regards to correct pod and wheel combination. I think Molesey have got it right.
At the time of your event the toyota had just come out and was a relative unknown quantity so I totally understand the need to ensure a level playing field. I would not want it any other way, but when you do the maths the difference with the pod/ wheel combo is so small it makes no difference at all.

Someone somewhere said the newer cars with the offset pod have the motor lower to the track and it gives better 'mag effect', 1. the standard slot.it motor is magnetically weak for a start, and 2. when you work out the difference in height with the older cars, it comes out at 0.3 of a millimetre...look at a ruler and look at 1 mm, then look at half of it, then half again!

It has been said that larger wheels give a high speed on a long straight, but this also requires more power from the motor, which it cannot give so it will reduce revs and lessen the advantage, smaller wheel cars will have greater acceleration so will have an advantage on a short straight, but over the whole lap, any advantage will equal out and be hardly worth the mention.

You could go on and on about this, but on the track I have not seen any advantage from the new toyota and Lancia. Bearing in mind future cars may also have the new set up I think newer racers will be confused if they have to start changing parts on a box standard car when they want to enter a competition.

My point only point with all this is to make racing simple and straight forward, imagine a newbie turning up to a slot.it grp C event, buying any Crp C car at that event, changing the tyres and start to race, thats what we all want surely?

I am not saying you should change the winter series rules, thats your business, just that this should be something to think about.
Your event was a good'un, they usually are and in all probablity, I would be running an older car anyway in any fututre event, come the winter, I hope to be there and I know Vic and Bobby are usually interested in this. I know I can't make this event but I want this system of racing to be successful as I passionately believe this will make a great southern series if we get it right.

Good luck with this event Molesey and sorry for putting this here but I felt Graeme deserved a response and explaination.
cheers Grae

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I think the concept of 'standard' is very difficult to interpret sometimes. Standard would suggest to me, that the car comes out of the box and goes on the track. However we all know that's not practical and probably wouldn't prove too popular either. So we need to move toward a set of rules that is as close to standard as possible. The problem here is that there will always be a difference of opinion as to what makes the 'standard' rules workable and what takes them beyond what you could ever class as 'standard'.
The set of rules for this event is just my interpretation of standard and will hopefully highlight the advantages, if any, that the offset/large wheel configuration may have. I believe this will serve as a useful excercise going forward and will help planning for future 'standard' events.
My personal belief is that any advantage from the newer configuration will be fairly marginal and may even be a disadvantage on tight point and squirt circuits, but I stress that is just my opinion. I actually think the biggest advantage the newer cars have, is that they are fitted with the latest 21,500rpm V12/3 which is considerably quicker in a straight line than earlier versions.
Another perspective on evening things out comes from slot.it's own set of rules for 'standard' group c's: Which states if you use the larger rear wheels, you must fit the car with a 29t crown wheel to negate any straight line advantage the larger diameter wheels may give.

Anyway lets see how this set of rules pans out and have a good event.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Fred,
it's not a disagreement,more a difference of opinion. The biggest problem is the manufacturers who are always upgrading motors and parts etc. You can't blame them for that because that is how they make their profit but it does make life difficult when it comes to writing rules.
All three hosting clubs (Winter Series) have agreed on the rules. It may be that there is no significant difference between wheel circumference to speed ratio and if this is the case, the rules will be discussed further. I do feel however, that getting 16.5's under a Porsche, for example, might severely restrict any body/pod movement and therefore a racer could be forced into using the smaller hubs. There is a lot to be said for using a 29 tooth gear with 16.5 rims but this just adds to the cost of a series we are trying to keep affordable.
Unfortunately the motor mentioned by Julian may be quicker than the older type so ultimately i feel that any "box standard" class is going to be a mix and match of parts. Either way, if we can keep these events affordable i feel that they will attract a lot more racers in the future.
It would be good to see some more entries for Molesey's inaugural event on a fabulous looking track so come on, put some names down.

·
fred
1,608 Posts
Yes I can see there is always going to be change/ upgrade at some point that will cause another variation to performance, but as long as there is a rationale and justification for a standard specification of car I can't see a problem with any set of rules.

The new Molesey track looks great BTW, and as I said, I won't be around in June but I will let Vic and Bobby know there is a slot.it event going on, they know the club as we were down a couple of years back to do an endurance race and I am sure they would be interested.

I will also tell our members that there will be a winter series which should be of interest to some. I always hoped there would be a replacement for the much maligned 'London GT' and I hope this series gets some momentum behind it.

cheers

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Entry list update.

Julian Edwards
Lee Green
Phil Upton
Mario Gatt
Graeme Thoburn
Josh Bryant
Steve Hills
Frank Delarge
Alan McDonald
Neil Green

The handout tyres (BRM 19x10 22 shore) have been thoroughly tested and work extremely well. With grip levels comparable to F15's. However you can treat them like you hate them through bends and they don't peel off the rims and they don't produce any nasty sticky bogies. So all good stuff

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hi Phil,
This looks like an interesting event and I (Russ Turner) would like to come down and try out your new circuit so could you put me down. I will add having retired from my long time job in the"Old Bill"
I now do bits and pieces of work which does sometimes come up at short notice so it may be that I'll have to pull out nearer the time, but I hope not.

I'll try to get my head round the box standard modified rules

Nightrider

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Your welcome Russ, be good to see you down the club. You can pop down for a bit of practice after this Thursday ( we are lane painting this Thursday) the track is drivable just the little bits to finish of that take time!

Julian Edwards
Lee Green
Phil Upton
Mario Gatt
Graeme Thoburn
Josh Bryant
Steve Hills
Frank Delarge
Alan McDonald
Neil Green
Russ Turner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts