SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
957 Posts
This is the full set of rules and regs for the event, which gives more detail on the general format of the meeting and handout tyres etc.
Any questions, here's the place or pm me.

Thanks

Grand opening Group C Event June 16th & 17th.

Club address:
Molesey Slot Car Club,
Ray Road, West Molesey,
Surrey. KT8 2LG

This is a weekend event for as close to standard as possible Slot.it Group C models. With a few tweaks to try and put everyone on an even playing field.
There will also be a meal arranged for the Saturday night for those who wish to attend.
The race will take place on Sunday 17th June with practise available on the Saturday.
Club will open between 10am and 5pm on the Saturday for practise and will open at 9am on raceday with racing beginning at 10am sharp.
The action will take place on our new six lane, 170ft+ Ninco track.
Entry fee will be £10 for the Sunday (which includes one pair of tyres) and £5 for Saturday practise.
Each driver will race once on each lane with the best five from six times counting. The top 24 drivers will then progress to quarters, semi's and an 'A' and 'B' final.

Presentation of Trophies etc. will take place immediately after the finals.

Refreshments will be available all weekend.

General rules:
Cars will be presented for scrutineering with the bodyshell and rear tyres removed and once passed will be held in parc ferme for the duration of the event. Any work that needs to be carried out after this time must be done in parc ferme under the supervision of the scrutineer. Random scrutineering will take place throughout the event.
Lighter fluid and tape will be provided in parc ferme for tyre cleaning. Only the items provided in parc ferme can be used.
One pair of marked control tyres will be handed out after the car has passed scrutineering and these must last the duration of the event. The selected tyres will be BRM 22 shore 19x10, these cannot be glued or trued. Additional sets of tyres will be available for practise at cost.
Cars must start each race with all body elements present with the exception of mirrors, wipers and aerials. Matching wheel inserts must be present at all times.
Traction Magnets must be removed.

Eligible cars:
Porsche 956c/956kh, 962c/962kh, Jaguar XJR6/9/12, Sauber C9, Toyota 88c, Mazda 787b, Lancia LC2/LC285.

Regulations:
Cars must remain STANDARD apart from the following allowable changes:
• Cars can be fitted with either of the following two combinations: 0mm offset mount with 15.8mm rear wheels or 0.5mm offset mount with 16.5mm rear wheels. These two configurations cannot be mixed and matched!
• Standard front axle adjustment blocks can be replaced with grub screws top & bottom.
• Front tyres can be replaced with zero grip rubber and can be glued & trued.
• Chassis's can be lightly trimmed around the edges to allow improved body freedom. It will be down to the scrutineers discretion as to whether the trimming is excessive, so please keep it sensible.
• All Body and Motor mount screws are free choice and can be run loose, however these must be properly secured so they don't drop onto the track.
• Overall rear axle width can be increased to a maximum of 65mm but wheels/tyres must not be visible when the car is viewed from above.

The following components are deemed 'free choice' : Body/Mount screws, Front tyres, Braids and Motor wires.

Please note, the only motor allowed for this event is the Slot.it V12/3, 21,[email protected], Orange bellend, supplied as STANDARD in all new Slot.it group C's. It can only be fitted inline with the orange endbell rearmost, as per the STANDARD model.

The scrutineers decision will be final and as always if it doesn't say you can do it, YOU CAN'T!!

· Registered
957 Posts
Entry list update.

Julian Edwards
Lee Green
Phil Upton
Mario Gatt
Graeme Thoburn
Josh Bryant

Just a reminder, this event is open to everyone. If you're interested please add your name to the list.
Also, this event is being held on the new Ninco circuit, NOT the old Slotfire circuit, so should be much closer racing.

Cheers.

· Registered
957 Posts
I think the concept of 'standard' is very difficult to interpret sometimes. Standard would suggest to me, that the car comes out of the box and goes on the track. However we all know that's not practical and probably wouldn't prove too popular either. So we need to move toward a set of rules that is as close to standard as possible. The problem here is that there will always be a difference of opinion as to what makes the 'standard' rules workable and what takes them beyond what you could ever class as 'standard'.
The set of rules for this event is just my interpretation of standard and will hopefully highlight the advantages, if any, that the offset/large wheel configuration may have. I believe this will serve as a useful excercise going forward and will help planning for future 'standard' events.
My personal belief is that any advantage from the newer configuration will be fairly marginal and may even be a disadvantage on tight point and squirt circuits, but I stress that is just my opinion. I actually think the biggest advantage the newer cars have, is that they are fitted with the latest 21,500rpm V12/3 which is considerably quicker in a straight line than earlier versions.
Another perspective on evening things out comes from slot.it's own set of rules for 'standard' group c's: Which states if you use the larger rear wheels, you must fit the car with a 29t crown wheel to negate any straight line advantage the larger diameter wheels may give.

Anyway lets see how this set of rules pans out and have a good event.

· Registered
957 Posts
Entry list update.

Julian Edwards
Lee Green
Phil Upton
Mario Gatt
Graeme Thoburn
Josh Bryant
Steve Hills
Frank Delarge
Alan McDonald
Neil Green

The handout tyres (BRM 19x10 22 shore) have been thoroughly tested and work extremely well. With grip levels comparable to F15's. However you can treat them like you hate them through bends and they don't peel off the rims and they don't produce any nasty sticky bogies. So all good stuff

· Registered
957 Posts
Entry list update:

Julian Edwards
Lee Green
Phil Upton
Mario Gatt
Graeme Thoburn
Josh Bryant
Steve Hills
Frank Delarge
Alan McDonald
Neil Green
Russ Turner
Ian Newstead
Paul Hearn

Anyone else that's interested, please feel free to add names to the list. Cut/Paste... you know the drill

· Registered
957 Posts
Two weeks to go now. It would be handy to know if anyone (other than Graeme) is interested in a meal on the Saturday night as we'll need to book something soon.

I,m hoping for a flurry of late entries
but for those already entered: do you want Saturday practice? Or am I going to be sat there on my own, playing with myself

· Registered
957 Posts
For anyone thinking of coming on Saturday,we will be opening the club for practice at 2pm, not 10am as previously advertised. This will still allow plenty of time to practice and nobody will have to get up too early

We'll head off to the local for a few pints and a bite to eat about 7ish.

See you there

· Registered
957 Posts
Thanks Steve, be good to see you

Updated list:

Julian Edwards
Lee Green
Phil Upton
Mario Gatt
Graeme Thoburn
Josh Bryant
Steve Hills
Frank Delarge
Alan McDonald
Neil Green
Russ Turner
Ian Newstead
Paul Hearn
Luke Tryell
Jon White
John Underwood
Zenon Moore
John Shorter
Steve Street
Steve Jones
Phil Field

· Registered
957 Posts
Food (hotdogs) will be available on Sunday along with the usual drinks, crisps and chocolate.
Tyres for practice will be available on Sunday morning but will have to be changed to the 'supplied' pair after scrutineering.

· Registered
957 Posts
I'd like to thank everyone who made the effort to attend this meeting and I hope you enjoyed yourselves.
To me this meeting proves more than ever that this format of racing works extremely well and really puts the emphasis back on the racing rather than who's perfected the black art of tyre preparation. I would urge anyone who hasn't tried this to give the forthcoming winter series a go as it really provides some excellent racing without all the BS of which tyre's to use or which gear ratio will work best.

Anyway, well done to Lee on the win and big thanks to Neil for running proceedings and once again thanks to everyone else for making it a great event

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.