SlotForum banner

Monaco Circuit Build, A W.I.P

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Slotrace.dk 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I hope its ok for me to do this as i dont want to get ahead of myself but ive started my own WIP thread that i will add to as and when there is something to report.
Only been here a couple of days and ive already picked up so much information, the owners of this forum have done a craking job and its a credit to the hobby.
Im still picking up various bits of information and coming to terms with the different abbreviations etc etc.

My hope with this WIP is that some of you will see thats its not overly difficult to build your scenery all it takes is a little know how, patience and time oh and a hefty bank account as ive found out today lol
i dont claim to be a master model builder but i know how to build things (im in the trade) so ive picked up one or two things.

Ive decided to go with the Scalextric Digital Kit from JADLAMRACING rather than a routed track that i feel is definately beyond my capabilities and little to intense (its just a little hobby to me), the Jadlam kit comes as close representation of the Monaco circuit however certain parts of the track need to be extended and altered slightly so more expense there too.

At this stage im not worried about the track layout, i plan to do this Circuit a little different. Ive very quickly become aware that to truly represent the Monaco Circuit id need as been mentioned else Where a whare house, i just dont have that kind of space so im having to scale this down somewhat buy taking certain areas of the circuit and trying to replicate those for instance the Hairpin Turn, the tunnel and the sea front and add to that Iconic Monaco Buildings.
In theory im going to build this Backwards, build Monaco and then lay the track down (hopefully that works) by doing this i can work on specific areas.
Im still stuck on how i replicate the hills etc etc as im using basically a snap together track, how much of a dip can i get on these ???

The next Concern are those Iconic Buildings, to replicate these id need to be a master wood worker or Architect im not able to carve intricate buildings out of wood so mine, i hope, when finish will at least be identifiable.
Today ive been out pricing up materials and getting a general feel of whats out there that can be utilised, im pretty good at seeing something and thinking that could be used as this or that, and hopefully some of you might say "i didnt think of that" and realise making model buildings isnt as hard as it looks at first, and use my ideas if you wish.

Il try and make step by step progress reports for those of you not confident enough at having a go and hopefully this too will help.

So today i priced up the material and i estimated for £100 i could probably make 2 , 3 at a push Buildings however this doesnt take into account fancy edgings, undercoat and paints thats just the Hard Board and MDF and building materials, i also estimate that this could take anything from 12 to 18 months to complete the way i would want it to look.

The first building i want to have a go at is this one, if anyone knows what its called id be happy to hear from so i can research it more, thanks in advance.

See less See more
#3 ·
QUOTE (Phil Kalbfell @ 25 May 2011, 14:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Plenty of pics of Lowes hairpin on the web. That building is actually away from the track, with the stairs and a path or narrow drive way between it an the track,check Google earth.

Yeah i get what you mean about that Building but it always pops on up on F1 searches so it needs to be included minus the drive and stairs of course. thanks for the heads up on Lowes Hairpin il check that out ....

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Somewhere on this website - http://www.oldslotracer.com/ - you will find a guy who made a fantastic Monaco circuit with a lot of nice buildings too.
Can't remember his name, so you have to go through the pictures (and some videos)....... but that's not too bad at all!!!

Found this on another forum: http://homeracingworld.yuku.com/topic/20826
But that's not the one I was thinking of at first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.