SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my NOS Monogram Magnameter from 1966.

I have lots of motors with weak magnets, and various zapping schemes, so I thought the little black box might be of some use for $25. Well, the needle hardly moved at all when placed into contact with motor magnets, even healthy ones. I started to suspect that, ironically, the thing itself needed remagnetizing. Taking the box apart now seemed like a good idea, so I removed the single tiny screw in the rear. The only function of the screw, however, was to hold the indicator needle in place. It disappeared from view. To get to the insides of the machine I tried to gently remove the clear plastic covering the front. I broke it into bits.
So, about 15 mins from taking the 46 year old Magnameter from its factory package I had just about destroyed it. But now I got to see the insides: nothing except a needle on a small piece of metal, a couple of bits of cardboard & paper for looks. Almost like some kind of a New Age scam machine. The root of the needle is magnetized, so is the piece of metal it is placed on, weakly. I have attached neo magnets on the needle assembly to remagnetize it.
I think the thing could be made to work, but I'm not surprised the Magnameter isn't mentioned more often.

·
Administrator
9,909 Posts
And you should see the inside of the K&F Dynamometer, which was a high-end, "high-tech", $29.95 testing tool from about the same era...

Don

PS: my Magnet Tester is still mint in the package - thanks for saving me the temptation to open it!

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
Actually, mine works fine. Its only function is to help determine the polarity of a magnet, not to test its strength...

Of course its potency is limited to how much is left of the magnetism on the old needle...

·
Registered
361 Posts
For the determination of the polarity it works, yes. Now that i have remagnetized the needle a bit, it works better. But it is very difficult to get any kind of useful readings on motor magnet strengths, since the Magnameter also works as a compass, distracted by our Earth. And the needle assembly is flimsy causing it to constantly get stuck.
You might as well use the old compass. If a constant position of the compass is marked on a work table, and a position for the motors to be tested (some centimeters from the compass, in the East or West direction) , you can get quick readings on the strength. The compass ring could even be covered with some sort of a self made scale.
This would be a quick way to, for example, test the magnet condition of an old motor compared to a healthy one of the same type.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts