SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Stunning photo's, Dennis!

I know someone who is building a 1/32nd scale D50 at the moment and have already referred him to your pictures -- wonderful reference!

Vic Elford does seem like a very nice person. I sent him an e-mail about the McLaren M7B he campaigned in a few GPs in 1969 and got this back:-

QUOTE From: Vic Elford [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: 07 July 2004 03:54
To: [email protected]
Subject:

Hi Russell,

These are the only Antique Automobiles McLaren photos we can find.

The two with the rear wing were at Nurburgring - presumably in practice or just before I crashed!

Love your models, they look great.

I went to Dubai about 5/6 years ago and loved it.

Best regards,

Vic Elford

Kind regards

Russell

BTW, Jody Scheckter was reunited with his 1979 World Championship winning Ferrari 312T4 in a demonstration run at Kyalami last week:-

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, had a chance to "chat" with him on TNF and he was very gracious. About the South African GP, during the apartheid years I was somewhat ambivalent about the race but now with the change in government I think it would be great to have a race there again. I know I would go.

·
Premium Member
5,237 Posts
Dennis,
Sorry I did not see you there within the zillion spectators, but I agree, the event was quite good. I was a bit disappointed that Steve Earle did not stick to his principles and let a few eeer... reproductions to actually show and race. Oh well...
I especially liked the great display of red cars at Pebble. Here is one of my favorites there:

Doc Pea

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know some think it's a problem but if there is none left and nobody is trying to say something is original when it's not then I'm cool with it. Beats having more Bugattis than ever existed in real life plus it was nice to see the Auto Unions a few years back even though those could be called recreations as well.

·
Premium Member
5,237 Posts
QUOTE and nobody is trying to say something is original when it's not then I'm cool with it.

That's the problem: the "re-creators" appear to lie a lot. The reason: $$$$$
I have no problem with any replica if properly represented.
Dennis as you know, there is a fierce controversy about a certain "P4" ex-David Piper on TNF... I saw the car during the weekend, and you have it in your pics. I was with Jean Sage and as a former official Ferrari historian, he should know what he is talking about. I won't even say what he said, but let only say that there was no stamp of approval.

The difference with this car below is that while it has an entirely new body, there is little doubt about where it came from.

Regards,

Philippe

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, I forgot all about the P4. I thought you were refering to the D50. Maybe it slipped under Earle's radar. While any year featuring Ferrari will be popular the event seemed to have more energy than it has had for a few years. Would you agree Pea or have I been away too long?

·
Premium Member
5,237 Posts
Well, this is one of the very few years in the past 18 when I have not been busy driving, and you are so busy when racing that you do not notice such things. So I do not know if it is better of worse than before but I DO remember better years in my opinoion, like Aston Martin or Porsche.
Regards,

Doc Pea

1 - 18 of 18 Posts