Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I've set out to restore my very first slot racing set, which my parent bought for my 1st Birthday (I never saw it until I was about 6 and never got to play with it till about 8
, Over the years I gradually destroyed the cars etc and the packagin became damaged with time.

I have pieced together most of the missing items, however I recently won on ebay an auction for an identical copy of the set, but with a better box. For a restoration should I use the better quality box, or will that be destroying a part of the history of the set, I would love to see the box looking in good condition but the main point of the restoration was to get the set working again, so here I have to choose between condition and originality, and this set has been with me most of my life

I also have a similiar question with one of the cars, where the original body I have is badly damaged, but I can replace it with a MIB copy, do I simply replace or go to the effort of attempting to touch up the 25 year old one which is really in poor condition? (missing spoiler, completely missing chassis, scratched bodywork, missing stickers,etc etc) I can buy the mint one and use the bits to restore the existing car or simply replace it with the new one, tough choice.

David

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Well, if you simply threw away your old set would the new one mean as much to you? Probably not. I would keep everything as it is and do what I could to keep the original cars running. Every scratch is a memory

·
Registered
392 Posts
Keep the old set as is, a memory of the past; buy the other to race the cars, trying to renew the old days

I have some classic cars 1:1 and the problem is the same : over restoring them destroys authenticity, but a good and shining paint is a pleasure to see.
Some years ago the way was toward extensive restoration; today authenticity rules the classic car world. The choice is yours.
Ciao

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
A hard question to answer this one! I'd say use the box which is in better condition (after all the box doesn't get raced!), but keep the old box. You may like to cut out the box top and have it mounted on a wall, perhaps even framed. It depends on how you want your memories displayed

As John P says, try and keep the old cars running as well as your newer set - every scratch a memory (I like that!).

Everbody is different - just go with want you want to do

Mark.

·
DT
5,195 Posts
It's the same issue when you restore an old wooden boat.

It all depends on what you want to do with it. If you want historical accuracy - leave it as it is, with the scars of time showing. If you want it to be functional, restore it as best you can with new parts.

On a boat, even if a couple of planks are original, even if they're painted over, it can still be classified as a restore and enter classic competition.

boats & slotcars...

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I've been restoring our sailing dinghy ever since we got it, Nuro! A new plank every season... I've even replaced some of my own replacements. Then last year another (sailing) club member gave me a new aluminium mast to replace our old wooden one that was held together by the varnish. The boat still has the same name and the same memories though!
Now where was that Slot Boats thread???

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After lots of thought I've decided I havent got the heart to throw away the box that stared at me for so many years from the top of my wardrobe, so I will patch it up as best I can, and will do the same for the cars, I can always stash the good packaging etc or pass it on to someone else. Im not looking for a display piece, just to resurect a small part of my childhood. As much as shiny and new is cool, it isnt what I actually had as a child. I guess repairs are one thing replacements are another.

David

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I know how you feel, I have purchased duplicate cars of cars I owned when I was a kid. The trouble is, duplicate cars which are immaculate, somehow just don't hold the same appeal.

Don't get me wrong, they are very nice and look great, but you look at them and see nothing so to speak; where as you look at a car you raced years ago and the memories tend to come flooding back.

For example, I recently went all out to purchase a Lancia 037, but at the last minute decided against buying another, choosing to restore my original version & clean it up replacing the worn/missing/broken parts.

I think it now looks great, admittedly the bodywork has loads of dings - including paintwork from other cars (I can still name the suspects
) but overall it adds to the charm.

A good compromise could be to purchase parts to restore your original cars to working glory. Purchase other (hopefully cheap) complete cars which you could cannabilise to enable your original car to come back to life. Perhaps interchanging parts but keeping your original bodywork & any other components that are still usable maintaining the overall character of your car.

Although, if the cars are really past the point of no return, then I would suggest clean it up and keep the set/cars as is and use your new set.

Interestingly, cars that initially appear to be complete right-offs can be salvaged as demonstrated by this article:

Slotcenter - Restoration of a Classic Slot Car.

I was personally in awe at the results and hope to one day have a go, the sense of achievement by restoring an object to its former glory - it might be just me, but wouldn't half be chuffed.

Finally, not many people appear to be into restoring cars which I feel is a shame, really would like to hear more from other members, exchange tips etc.

Anyway, really enjoyed reading this article, restoring cars is my second most enjoyable aspect - I haven't got a track - so sadly tuning/building goes out the window!

Best regards,

Jamie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts