SlotForum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple one this, as someone new to this it's costing me lots of money. Simple research had lead to finding various items from various places sell for a lot more on ebay.

So does anyone else buy cheap cars from cheap sources and flog to cash happy buyers on eBay???

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Sometimes epay is cheaper, sometimes its dearer. Buyer beware. No moral dilemma here for me. Your viewpoint may however be different.

cheers
rick1776

·
Registered
468 Posts
Not much dilemma here - though you may not find this the fast path to cash you think. By the time you factor out listing and final value fees from ePay and your time, there may not be as much pure profit as you think. Many try to shift cars for higher prices that are readily available for cheaper elsewhere. Others offer rare cars at outrageous prices which sometimes do not sell at all. Where I've had the most luck is with parts cars that are basically shot that I don't want to take the time to fix. Value to me $0, value to others who bid/buy, whatever they pay. So unless you have somehow found a source of RARE cars that you can buy for cheap and resell for a big bump, I personally don't think theres a lot of money here. But, again, I could be very wrong.

Regards,

-- Rakete --

·
Registered
326 Posts
Of course there is money to be made, if you are willing to put in the time and effort. Will you get rich quick without effort? Hardly... Only way to make money without an effort is to win the lottery.

But go for it? Setup your own trading company, register with the distributors and manufacturers as a seller, stock up on some popular Slot.it, NSRs and what not and get going. Starting out slow with an online shop on e-bay is not bad at all and you can of course set your lowest bid to ensure that you at least dont loose money. I wouldnt be surprised if you find out that there is a 30-40% profit margin on the list price of most slot car brands. Then again, you will hardly get list price when you sell it on e-bay, but the rare cars that are harder to come by will sell for more.

If you have some connections in the USA i think there is some money to be made there also. The european slot cars seem to cost a bundle there.

·
David J
3,182 Posts
You could buy a few cheapies from TK Maxx and stick them on Ebay, if your lucky you might make a few quid on each one, factor in the time and effort and trips to the post office, hassle associated with disatisfield customers and the like and by the time you've done you'll wonder why you bothered.

Ebay prices are up and down, cars that fetch £20 last week fetch £30 this and vice versa. Sometimes prices look high but if the items aren't selling then the high prices are often unrealistic.

If you found some propper bargains let us know in the bargain section and share the wealth..

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
Hi Gaz,
I found out very quickly to only bother with higher value, lighter weight stuff, so don't bother with track as people will barely pay the postage for it as it's so heavy. Cars are better, as they are only about £3 registered post.
On ebay, the 'completed listings' box is your friend... it will show you how much people will pay for stuff

My hot tip for low effort (but higher risk) at the moment would be to buy up several Digital Platinum sets from amazon currently at £300 and then sell them in a month or so at £400, still below the £500 asking price.

Best time to sell stuff is before Christmas, and in the Easter & summer hols but also now is a good time too as people have money from Christmas, and also many will have got a set and will be looking for extra track and cars.

Best time to buy is when you should be working, like a Tuesday morning at 10.36am.
I've found buying is much more fun and less agro than selling... which mostly explains why I'm selling cars on the forum at the moment!
To be honest though, you'd make more money in less time doing a paper round. Good luck!
Cheers,
Richard

·
Registered
281 Posts
Lot of effort and time required, if you cost your time do you really make a profit. Postage is so expensive these days, which buyers don't like paying.

Could consider swap meets as a way of buying or selling.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Lots of food for thought here, Thanks guys!!!

Bought one of the origional car that gave me the idea and put it on Ebay, hoping to turn £30 into £50.... if my reasearch is correct!!!

If this works i will buy another and maybe just do 1 a week?? if i can get £15 to £20 profit into my paypal a week for no time and effort then i'll be happy!!!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I buy one helluva lot of EBay, not just slot stuff, 1:1 bits too for my Rally Car, household etc.

I have got some excellent bargains on unused items.
I have sold one or 2 items but tbh it's not worth the grief, there are some real wangers out there...................Stupid questions, non payers, professional "get yr money back" brigade, plus EBay and Paypal fees etc etc....................

too much grief for me anyhow.

Let us know how you get on

Cheers Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts