SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 1613 Posts

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what happens when passion gets out of hand. A clutch of Airfix Beetles on PCS chassis. Despite appearances no two are the same, and all have different characteristics on track. Fun to build but tricky in parts. Thank you again for your time in looking.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. To paint these cars I simply used tins of Halford's black gloss. Shiny paint in my experience is down to spraying in direct hot sunshine, and lots of coats. I often do three of primer and seven or more of gloss. I never lacquer the bodies.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had to lift the lid on this today to finish the interior, so I thought I'd bore you with a pic. Simply for added visual interest, I've stuck a Matchbox Bugatti engine to the electric motor.

The plastic engine would have otherwise gone to waste. Thanks kindly for looking.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A dismal Sunday morn across Herefordshire, the bucolic landscape resembles a depressing scene from Dickens or Sholokov at their most descriptive.

She Who Can't Be Ignored is wittering, endlessly, about Yuletide shopping, my stray cat is demanding yet more food and I, on the brink of slowly imploding, have retired to my den - head down.

A new project is under way. I hope it takes a very long time, especially as the alternative is pretending to take interest in my grandson's new rugger kit. Christmas. No thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A little progress today; wheel inserts are in, and I've made a pair of running boards from an old bank card that never worked from the day I received it.

Can't go much further until Araldite Rapid arrives from eBay. The standard stuff ain't much use for my purpose. Thanks kindly for looking.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A change of plan. Having made wheelarch extensions from an alloy cigar tube, and offered them up to the wings, I've discovered aesthetic incompatibility. Gaps arise that can't be corrected without major restyling.

Both axles have been shortened, therefore, to make a more conventional car, as depicted below. Thanks kindly for looking.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I like the red one, maybe you could add some skies to a roof rack?

I used to know a girl who drove a pink Beetle, she even had a pair inflatable lips in the rear window (each to their own, eh?)

The maths teacher had a none descript seen better days example. Whereas physics teacher's was white with a curious Japanese Air Force style red circle.

Read into the above what you will ;)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I recently saw an episode of Jay Leno's Garage. It's a little known fact that a VW Beetle has a more aerodynamic body than a Lamborghini Countach ... Who'd have thought? ;)

I love the sheer extravagance of a flat ten ! I can't envisage why no one has made such a beast. :)

·
Premium Member
4,458 Posts
Found this......

"V10 engines are rare in production cars, but how about flat 10s? We've only been able to find one, produced by Chevrolet.

It was an experimental engine based on the Corvair's flat-six, put to use in a Impala while Chevrolet mulled over the prospect of expanding the Corvair brand. It never made it past the prototype stage, which is why it's so unheard of today."

Attachments

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just returned from me daily bike ride to the treat of the above two posts. Thanks Grumpy and Dave. That Corvair engine is quite something, eh!

Memory a bit fogged now, but I seem to recall that Jaguar had a V12 two-stroke on test a few years ago, that was shelved after more stringent emissions' tests were brought in. Imagine the polyphony from a V12 2-stroker...

Anyhow, the Beetle body is now secured to the chassis; just waiting for Araldite to cure before cementing the 'flat-10' into place.

A 'flat-10', eh? Just one beauty of the Forum - you'll always read it here first. Incidentally, if you want to see a 'proper' power unit, search online for Lycoming's 129 litre radial...

Attachments

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Incidentally, Grumpy, the definitive Beetle, signed off by Erwin Komenda on 18 January 1936, had a drag coefficient of 0.49 - exactly the same as the Williams' F1 cars of the late 1990s.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
'Flat-10' glued to the electric motor bellhousing with Araldite. This is, of course, utterly pointless - visual interest only - but is done in the name of modelling.

Hope to paint the body tomorrow.

Thank you most kindly for your interest.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Looks shiny, hope SWMBO does notice those nice wall tiles have a new tint, or you'll be for it!!!

Simon

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Simon

Thank you for the observation. Just a few hours before she's home. I'd best look for white spirit...

Doghouse for me again.

1 - 20 of 1613 Posts