SlotForum banner
2201 - 2220 of 2867 Posts

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
A potential slot project below but... Dare I take a dremel to the 917 (a static model) and the Beetle, and cut both down the middle, before joining the front of the Beetle to the rear of the 917? It might well make a unique slot car, but whether I can bring myself to perform such butchery remains undecided.

I've never thought of myself as a yob, but this is getting perilously close. View attachment 293300 View attachment 293301 View attachment 293302 View attachment 293303
The 917 is plastic and the Vw bug vacform aren’t they? Mmm I don’t think it’s a good idea to mix such plastics, perhaps the joint will the be weak(although could be wrong), plus the weight distribution issue, I don’t know Laurence, I think that maybe using a Vw Beetle that is made from plastic would be better, like an Airfix kit that you must have around the track like grass on the garden😉 of course you could try and see how it goes, will be following that S&B project…

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
The 917 is plastic and the Vw bug vacform aren’t they? Mmm I don’t think it’s a good idea to mix such plastics, perhaps the joint will the be weak(although could be wrong), plus the weight distribution issue, I don’t know Laurence, I think that maybe using a Vw Beetle that is made from plastic would be better, like an Airfix kit that you must have around the track like grass on the garden😉 of course you could try and see how it goes, will be following that S&B project…
It’s certainly possible to merge an Airfix 917 with a vac-form, although it’s a lot of work. Hybrids are always interesting, but why not a long-tail instead:
White Wood Cookie cutter Material property Gadget

Tire Vehicle Car Toy Wheel

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
A long tail Beetle? I can hardly wait to see it. (y)
That would be the other half of the beetle-nosed 917……😸
A longtail is a possibility and I've got a spare lexan body doing nothing.
Splash out £7 or so on a Betta 1969 917L in polystyrene, then use your lexan for windows for it. The polystyrene is wonderfully light - the essence of 1960s Porsches! The 1970 longtail is another of those orphans, under-represented in the modelling world - especially the No 25 Le Mans car. I just love those simple liveries.
Mike

·
Registered
12,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,210 ·
Started a new Beetle project today and have already run into a prob with the chassis. After pressing the rear axle bearings into place, it has split, as can be seen in the second photo. Epoxy to the rescue, therefore, I hope. Ne'er mind. All will be well in the end. I do quite a lot of hoping.
Blue Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Wood Audio equipment Gas Circuit component Paint

·
Registered
12,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,213 ·
Thanks for your advice, chaps. Greatly appreciated. I think the chassis is made of plastic. Anyhow, I've repaired it with epoxy, and added spacers at the front to stop up-and-down axle movement. Running boards were as roughly finished as the badger's proverbial, but are now smooth and painted. Wheels finished in Audi Ice Silver.

Now have to wait for glue and paint to dry as usual. Hoped to get this car finished for this evening's meeting at the Mess but, alas, it'll have to wait until next week. Meanwhile, plotting for the next project continues. Will it ever stop? 🤔 Most unlikely in my view.
Engineering Font Machine Electronic component Auto part
Car Vehicle Hood Toy Motor vehicle
Liquid Automotive tire Fluid Grey Asphalt
Food Gas Ingredient Cake Audio equipment

·
Registered
12,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,216 ·
Chassis repaired and built, but glue still drying, so no scary Mess laps until tomorrow. Intuition, and nothing more, tells me that it's going to take a lot of twonking around to get this car going satisfactorily. However, it looks better than I originally envisaged. Reminds me of rallycross days years ago, which is no bad thing. Hey-hum.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Toy Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

2201 - 2220 of 2867 Posts