SlotForum banner
2221 - 2240 of 2867 Posts

·
Registered
12,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,221 ·
Frustration with this heap continues. Screwed the body to the chassis and heard a cracking sound. The chassis had split again. So much for epoxy glue. Both bearings now glued into place, so I'll sit and stare into the grey yonder until it's all dry, whilst considering scrapping the chassis and replacing it with something better.

Wheel Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Tire

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Further to my earlier post my Arii '50 Volks Wagen Patrol car kit arrived this morning and I'm happy to report the the body is in white plastic and there are no holes in the roof, for the blue lights. The body moulding is very good with no flow marks so if I should go for a white car I could just add decals and clearcoat. As an added bonus the kit includes a pair of spotlights, and I think these are in the other kit as well, which I can use on my Le Mans Porsche 911S cars😁

I know people comment on the postage from japan but I ordered 5 Arii kits in total and the cost each including the postage as £7.57, with the kits being £4.46 each postage per kit was £3.11, all very reasonable.

·
Registered
12,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,224 ·
First laps accomplished. Fast and very sure-footed, the new PCS wheels and tyres (from Pendle) are excellent. The car is tight and noisy, and in need of running-in, but will improve with laps and lubrication. All's well that ends well.

First competitive racing with this Beetle after next Thursday's virulent curry.
Tire Vehicle Wheel Car Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Window
Tire Vehicle Wheel Car Motor vehicle
Automotive lighting Trunk Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Photograph
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Further to my earlier post my Arii '50 Volks Wagen Patrol car kit arrived this morning and I'm happy to report the the body is in white plastic and there are no holes in the roof, for the blue lights. The body moulding is very good with no flow marks so if I should go for a white car I could just add decals and clearcoat. As an added bonus the kit includes a pair of spotlights, and I think these are in the other kit as well, which I can use on my Le Mans Porsche 911S cars😁

I know people comment on the postage from japan but I ordered 5 Arii kits in total and the cost each including the postage as £7.57, with the kits being £4.46 each postage per kit was £3.11, all very reasonable.
I‘m too lazy to try to find out for myself from the Hobbylink site, but is that £15.55 postage for all 5 kits and would it still be £15.11 for one kit?
Mike

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Postage was £15.52 for 1 kit, so about £20 for a Arii kit, or for the 5 kits based on weight and package dimensions. I need 3 of the Porsche 911S kits for my Le Mans '66 and '67 grids and just fancied another Beetle and another Porsche. I probably should have bought a 6th kit but never mind. One advantage is the if some items you want are out of stock you can back order them and just order and pay for the in stock items and they will hold your paid items for, I think it's, 60 days. You then pay for the items as they come in to stock and pay the postage when you complete the order and you can add to it at anytime.

·
Registered
12,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,231 ·
The Beetle/917 chimeric idea might well come to fruition after all, my having spent an age searching for the 917 shell. 'Twas buried in a box, as usual. One question now remains, of course. Can I bring myself to cut two perfectly good bodyshells in half to make a hybrid?
Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Toy Toy airplane
Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Toy Space
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Toy Hood

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Two bodyshells. Again, can I bring myself to butcher them to build a 'dafty?' Dunno. Will have a 'think'. View attachment 293689 View attachment 293690
I fear you’ll have trouble with the lexan 917 shell. That stuff doesn’t like being glued. That’s why I much prefer the polystyrene vac-forms from Betta (and FibreSlot). The lexan windows fitted well to replace the cloudy, cracked ones on an old Scalextric C22 shell, though!
(I used the lexan headlight covers on my 1970 long-tail, if you’re wondering why I bought the lexan shell…..)

Mike

·
Registered
12,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,234 ·
Thanks for the tip, Mike. I just have a feeling that if I go ahead with this project, I won't have to glue the two halves together. Naturally, I'm also beginning to wonder about the point of building such a hybrid.

It's a little like Mount Everest. Because it's there.

2221 - 2240 of 2867 Posts