SlotForum banner
3361 - 3380 of 3509 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Well, sir.....get on with it then! An unpainted Beetle is nearly a crime against nature, seeing as how they nearly beg to be coated, knowing a good plonk is next.
Haddock would never charge dereliction of duty knowing alcohol is in the balance.....but what the dragons could do to an unpainted car might be considerable.

·
Registered
13,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,363 ·
Michael

An interesting Beetle which was probably built in one of VW's many factories outside Germany. Officially, the post August 1967 cars with vertically-mounted headlamps had 4-stud wheels, whereas the car in your pic has the original 5-stud units.

Paul

'Twill be painted soon-ish. I've made the mistake again of having three cars on the go at once. High time I learned to be sensible. Probably a bit late, though.

·
Registered
13,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,364 ·
I've got enough on my slot plate as it is but, whilst waiting for glue to dry, I started forming a plan to build another Tamiya Beetle in 1:24 scale. A set of 917 wheels might be 'cool' as youngsters say these days, or it might end up as a pile of carp. Anyhow, it's a job or two for another day in the not-too-distant future.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
Vehicle Car Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
13,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,365 ·
Thought I'd try this Carrera car against a couple of homemade specials last evening, but immediately ran into a common prob, namely, that of disintegrating tyres. Difficult to know what purpose might be served by standard Carrera rubber.

'Urethane replacements ordered immediately.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Reflex camera Camera lens Digital camera Point-and-shoot camera Camera accessory

·
Registered
13,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,368 ·
Happy holidays.

August is upon us. Sea, sand, surf, merriment, levity and fun all the way, eh? Just a few minor probs to overcome, though, first.

1) Roadworks and temp traffic lights at 3-mile intervals
2) Mrs Trellis from North Wales in her Austin A40 (goveŕned to a max 28mph)
3) The broken down 44-tonner blocking the A38 in both directions near Bristol
4) Cigarettes repeatedly thrown from the car in front
5) Kids on the back seat forecasting an imminent bout of vomiting
6) A complete lack of parking space if you ever reach your destination
7) The seaside chip shop is 'closed for lunch.'
8 Local authority notices restricting fun to 8mins 10secs per day

Please send us a postcard. Glad I'm not there.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Toy

·
Registered
13,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,371 ·
Love that expression, "slammed surf," Paul. It reminds me of times swimming in the sea when waves were minimal and disappointing. Nowadays, I simply get disappointed when Mrs Grumpy merely mentions a trip to the coast. Usual probs.

Waiting for her to get ready, a downpour of rain, endless duh-traffic, an infestation of jellyfish washed up on the beach, and traipsing around shops that don't sell Airfix Beetles. Incidentally, isn't it high time Airfix re-released the 917?
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting
Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
13,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,374 ·
Oil, plugs, points and water for the washer bottle. Oh, not forgetting to kick all four tyres to check that they were, more or less, inflated.

Five jobs that comprised a complete service years ago... But, of course, we've 'improved' things in recent years.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
13,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,380 ·
After last evening's trough Mrs Grumpy turned Aztec. "For crying out loud, another stupid bl** dy Beetle. You must think I'm stupid, why do you need six Beetles?"

I replied that few good stories ever come to an end, "d'ya see?" It's rarely a good idea to resort to uncle Bonkers' vocab on these occasions.

Resigned to Fate she proposed a moot on the subject of: "Living with a half-wit from a family of half-wits." The moot didn't get far, as uncle Bonkers rattled into life on the electric telephone. Saved by the bell.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior

3361 - 3380 of 3509 Posts