SlotForum banner
4381 - 4400 of 4494 Posts

· Registered
367 Posts
A Beetle made a fleeting guest appearance in "The Fast Lady" at around the 17:30 mark, but I was unable to determine the colour. To my poor eyesight, it appeared to be either grey or baby/sky blue, with what also appeared to be whitewall tyres.

Maybe your expert eye could make a determination, Laurence.

· Registered
367 Posts
High praise indeed from Chief engineer of Rolls-Royce responsible for the Silver Shadow, Harry Grylls referenced in your other thread Laurence, and he confirmed it by buying a Beetle.

I often wondered if the Morris Minor was the UK attempt at a version of the peoples car, but having driven a Morris Minor, and been driven in a Morris Traveller (woody estate) and a Beetle, I believe I would have to agree with Mr Grylls and plump for a Beetle.

· Registered
660 Posts
My understanding has always been that the original concept for the Minor was rather more advanced than the constraints of manufacture in austere post-war Britain allowed the production car to be. But yes, the Beetle was more of a mould breaker than the Minor ever managed.

· Registered
17,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,396 ·
PS

Years ago Rolls-Royce bought several Beetles each year to teach apprentices about engineering. Harry Grylls admitted that the Beetle had mystified him, and openly confessed that Rolls couldn't make cars to the same standard, especially in view of the Beetle's purchase price.

When he retired in 1968, Grylls was able to buy any car he wanted but chose a Beetle because he never found anything better. Works' Porsche drivers, Rudi Lins and Leo Kinnunen, held similar views.

· Registered
Cars I like
2,670 Posts
I saw a chap having a driving lesson in an off white Beetle the other day. It had white wall tyres and a lot of rust on the roof but it moved quickly when he accelerated. Must have been a brilliant driving lesson, he certainly had the confidence to floor the accelerater.
The alloy wheels looked like a type of Minilites for a large car, probably 15 or 16inches.

Always makes me smile to see an interesting car.

4381 - 4400 of 4494 Posts