SlotForum banner

1261 - 1280 of 1341 Posts

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,261 ·
Slot drag-racing Beetles. Hmmm... Something to consider for future building projects, perhaps.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
The most famous tuner for VW Bugs in México goes by the name of Grillos Racing, they already were famous when I was about 14 yo!

Here a pic of one of their 1/4 mile Bugs! If anyone can guess what are the mods and aproximately performance, please post it here.

Cheers

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,263 ·
GDS

The Beetle you've posted has a turbo, and a vertically-mounted cooling fan from either a 911, or a Type 4 VW. There's every reason to suppose it would be a quick car.

By contrast the car below on a farm in Mexico has had its progress slightly abated by a disc harrow.

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,264 ·
Not a modern 'rat-look' cabriolet, but an original car used and abused on the roads of California many years ago. Not too difficult to ape as a slot car.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
GDS

The Beetle you've posted has a turbo, and a vertically-mounted cooling fan from either a 911, or a Type 4 VW. There's every reason to suppose it would be a quick car.

By contrast the car below on a farm in Mexico has had its progress slightly abated by a disc harrow. View attachment 275161
Something tells me that you were a reeaaally speed crazy addict when in your prime my dear counselor😉👍👍

Cheers

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,269 ·
GDS and Mark

When I look back I shudder at some of the things I've done in motor cars. Speed still excites me, but more in memory than deed. Today, I feel more content plodding at a sedate pace on my bicycle but, given the chance to drive something special for just a few laps at Le Mans, I'd jump at it.

Come to think of it, a few laps around the Sarthe on my bike would rekindle a few memories, and I don't mean the occasion when I was commanded to buy a large pot at the garden centre on the Mulsanne straight 30 years ago...

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,270 ·
As Mrs Grumpy departed our abode early 'smorn, I crept to the Mess for a few well-earned laps and parlee-voo (sic) with agreeable mammalian chums.

Photo evidence below that I'm not alone...

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,272 ·
Chief engineer at Rolls-Royce directly responsible for the Silver Shadow, Harry Grylls, bought a Beetle in 1968 and retired to his home in Elmley Castle, Worcestershire. He drove the car with undisguised enthusiasm, and when asked by Motor Sport editor, Bill Boddy, why he'd bought a Beetle, Grylls replied: "Because it's the best car in the world."

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,273 ·
Started work on this shell today. Having roughly cut window apertures, it's dawned on my that the 'waistline' of this Fibreslots' body is sufficiently high to allow for a plausible Karmann cabriolet. A little thought required, perhaps, so it's probably time to get the production line going again.

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,274 ·
A little vandalism with rudimentary tools appears to have resulted in at least the start of some kind of cabriolet.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
What colour will it be?

The vintage Alfa looks great.

It's a good testament to Dr Porsche's initial design and engineering that a Rolls Royce engineer rates the Beetle so highly.

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,276 ·
Matthew

There was a time when Rolls-Royce bought several Beetles each year for the purpose of teaching apprentices about engineering. Harry Grylls told Bill Boddy that he was constantly astounded by the quality of VW's engineering and build quality, and admitted that R-R couldn't come close with the same financial constraint.

Grylls loved driving his Beetle, and wanted nothing else, because he genuinely believed that it was the world's best car. During the 1950s and '60s, Bill Boddy agreed, whereas Jenks preferred his 356.

I want to paint the above cabrio in black over yellow if I' ve sufficient patience, but things rarely go to plan in my world.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Somehow this last bug seems a little bit smaller than the others you been building, is that right?

Look forward to see how it evolves.

Cheers

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,279 ·
GDS

Thank you for asking about the size. This polystyrene body is comparable to the Airfix shell, but is obviously a little wider due to the wheelarch extensions. I suspect the latest car will look different in dimension after it's been painted.

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,280 ·
I took advantage of warm temps to paint this cabrio shell alfresco today. Just the flanks have been covered in yellow acrylic, because my aim is to paint everything except the flanks in black. Dr Sodt will make other plans, of course, but for now, I'm sticking to two-tone black-over-yellow.

1261 - 1280 of 1341 Posts