SlotForum banner
1301 - 1320 of 1501 Posts

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,301 ·
The 4-seater Karmann cabrio's hood is bulky, and very much in the tradition of the great German cabriolets of the 1930s. As I've fashioned mine from Milliput, it's also quite heavy, and negates the advantage of the lightweight polystyrene body.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I like the Hebmuller, it's just a fabulous looking car from either end. The Karmann hood on your Beetle may help with rear end grip and faster cornering due to its weight.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,305 ·
You could well be right, Matthew. Time will tell. One more coat of gloss applied today. Wasn't happy with the finish yesterday. Hot, direct sunshine dried the paint a little too quickly.

·
Registered
562 Posts
As I've fashioned mine from Milliput, it's also quite heavy, and negates the advantage of the lightweight polystyrene body.
Hola Trisha,
¿Has probado de hacer estas cubiertas con algún tipo de tejido?.
Hay tejidos plásticos (o cualquier otro material sintético) muy finos y con una textura que puede servir para estas cosas. Suelen ser tejidos intermedios de otro objeto. Por ejemplo, desmonta una mascarilla, un pañal, etc. Todo es cuestión de mirar a tu alrededor.

Hi Trisha,
Have you tried making these covers with any type of fabric?
There are plastic fabrics (or any other synthetic material) very fine and with a texture that can be used for these things. They are usually intermediate tissues of another object. For example, remove a mask, a diaper, etc. It's all a matter of looking around you.

Frederic

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,307 ·
Frederic

I usually use surgical sticking plaster for hoods and hood bags. It's got a reasonably fine weave, which once painted, doesn't look too inauthentic.

Will try and dig out one of my Hebmueller Beetles later. Meanwhile, a pic below of surgical plaster made in Germany.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,312 ·
Pink-Kar's cabriolet, released several years ago, works very well with wide rear tyres, but it's a model that appears to be getting increasingly difficult to find.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,314 ·
Much of Britain is basking in wonderful warmth this weekend. Bucolics I met whilst out walking today complained about the heat. Miserable gits.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Mmm interesting... how many times a year can you open the hood of a cabrio/spyder car in UK? I mean without suffering the weather.

Many years ago, when in high school, a fríend on mine had a Chrysler Shadow cabrio and he used to give me a ride to school, but in Winter time by early morning, we hated the cold in the car even with the hood on, as it didnt make great difference...
Cheers

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,316 ·
VW began making Beetles in Nigeria in 1975 with parts shipped to Africa from Brazil. Some had their roofs removed and were used as hunting vehicles.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Truly a "chop top" version in the veld. Some significant flares, nearly Group 5 variety there.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,319 ·
Unusually warm weather across the HR2 postal district has proved excellent for drying paint quickly, and for increasing grumpiness throughout the farming community. Three weeks ago it was too wet "to do anything" and now it's too dry.

I shall ignore their BS, as I've been doing for many decades, and get on with my Beetle, which is more important, and plausible.

1301 - 1320 of 1501 Posts