SlotForum banner
1361 - 1380 of 1610 Posts

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,362 ·
GDS

That camel gets everywhere and sees everything. He's not to be trusted. He and Gandhi are great chums nowadays. They enjoy eating chips together, and talking about Ferraris whilst we try to concentrate on racing our Porsches.

Below, a scene from the Berlin Motor Show, 1951. No camels present, but there are a couple of Jags and a 356.

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,365 ·
Fast and furious (geriatric definition) racing on the Mess last evening led to a minor disaster with the Karmann cabrio. I pushed it a little (a lot) too hard and lost after an altercation with a die-cast Junkers JU82.

The hood and rear seat became dislodged, despite having been nailed down with epoxy. No damage thankfully and remedial work has just been completed successfully, so I shall look forward to the next outing, and use it in a manner more befitting of my age.

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,367 ·
Whilst tidying up today I found an old diary from 2016. It amused me to read my notes for the weekend of July 2/3. Lewis was on pole in Austria while Nico got a grid penalty for a gearbox change. Kvyat "destroyed his Toro Rosso again," and I finally gave up sugar in tea and coffee.

At that same time, I noted, Theresa May was on her way to Downing Street, the actor/writer Caroline Aherne died aged 52, Lewis won the Austrian GP, Max came second, and I painted an Airfix Beetle body black in bright sunshine alfresco.

After another five years of the usual ups and downs, not all that much has changed in my little world.

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,368 ·
Louvres in a Beetle engine lid. Almost, but not quite, impossible in 1:32-scale, but how, I wonder?

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,369 ·
Below, an expensive Carrera 4-cam engine in a Beetle, and my failed attempt at fashioning a similar unit in Milliput. Even the old Prof has had to have s lie-down.

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,370 ·
A confusing and grumpy ol' day today in the HR2 postal district. I was commanded to drive to a garden centre, where prices were through the roof, and almost everything for sale could have only interested a benign monitor lizard answering to the name of Wendy.

Meanwhile, Captain Haddock spent all day wondering about the purpose of water in his drinks' bottle. An air-cooled Beetle didn't need it, and he only had reason to visit the wretched stuff upon the annual occasion of his bath.

I can only hope that the Styrian GP rescues the day, and give thanks that my uncle Bonkers has delayed his Christmas party until after lockdown, allegedly, ends on July 19. Here endeth today's lesson.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
A confusing and grumpy ol' day today in the HR2 postal district. I was commanded to drive to a garden centre, where prices were through the roof, and almost everything for sale could have only interested a benign monitor lizard answering to the name of Wendy.

Meanwhile, Captain Haddock spent all day wondering about the purpose of water in his drinks' bottle. An air-cooled Beetle didn't need it, and he only had reason to visit the wretched stuff upon the annual occasion of his bath.

I can only hope that the Styrian GP rescues the day, and give thanks that my uncle Bonkers has delayed his Christmas party until after lockdown, allegedly, ends on July 19. Here endeth today's lesson.
View attachment 276381
Unfortunately the GP at the RB rings was... average to say the best, lacked the thrill of the last week at Paul Ricard.

At least Max won and Checo seized P4(needed another lap to overtake Botas).

So like the captain of the pic, I'll grab a bottle of single malt and drink it just to see what the bottom looks like. 😉

Cheers

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I haven't visited a garden centre since I moved to London over 12 years ago. I do remember some centres smelt of Jeyes drain cleaner.

Glad to see Captain Haddock learning about water, Tintin should look where he's going before he trips over the red car and the Hebmueller.

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,373 ·
Francis Tuthill's 2.4-litre rally Beetle. A post 1967 car with vertical headlamps, it would be easy to replicate it in 1:32 with Revell's currently available kit.

Deep yellow paint, Minilite wheels, big exhaust and all the other usual rallying attributes... Might make a change on the national slot rallying scene.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Laurence. The most important question is... How will you make your Beetle float in mid-air like that? ;)

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,378 ·
Keith

You're quite right, 1967 was a major change year for the Beetle. Vertical headlamps, larger rear lights, and 12-volt electrics were among a host of important modifications. Between 1945 and 1978 the Beetle underwent more than 78,000 modifications; most, but not all, were improvements.

Ken

Floating a slot Beetle in mid air is easy - when you've got a large camel who's been at the bottle with uncle Bonkers all day. A VW resting on a camel's back tends to give the latter the hump, and isn't especially photogenic, but it works well for the Beetle.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Keith

You're quite right, 1967 was a major change year for the Beetle. Vertical headlamps, larger rear lights, and 12-volt electrics were among a host of important modifications. Between 1945 and 1978 the Beetle underwent more than 78,000 modifications; most, but not all, were improvements.

Ken

Floating a slot Beetle in mid air is easy - when you've got a large camel who's been at the bottle with uncle Bonkers all day. A VW resting on a camel's back tends to give the latter the hump, and isn't especially photogenic, but it works well for the Beetle.
The dreaded camel uh? 🤔

1361 - 1380 of 1610 Posts