SlotForum banner
1381 - 1400 of 1609 Posts

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,382 ·
An old VW advert from yesteryear that reminds me how much I miss smoking my pipe whilst driving my Beetle on uncluttered roads.

Both activities are frowned upon by the self-appointed 'we-know-best' brigade today, of course, but a rebellious streak in my persona still really wants to tell the lot of 'em to bu%%er awf and mind their own so%%ing business.

·
Registered
472 Posts
"Between 1945 and 1978 the Beetle underwent more than 78,000 modifications; most, but not all, were improvements."

Shhhhh .... I might be a VW/Porsche goon. Owned 11 models over the years, and didnt mind working on them when they rolled into the shop. I took my drivers test in a bus.

As Kaefers go, I always liked the '71. Pretty well sorted.

The amazing part for me would be the remarkable interchange that remained across 33 years and 78k mods.

Bill

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,385 ·
A shot taken at the 1968 US Grand Prix with a very telling composition of spectators' vehicles.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,388 ·
A picture taken by Jenks on one of his many European sojourns purporting to show the proliferation of multi-storey car parks during the 1960s. It's a feature of motoring life I've never seen in 1:32-scale diorama format.

The E-Type and Beetle also proliferated during the 1960s, of course. Jenks owned examples of both.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,389 ·
A single-seater Beetle competing in Formula Vee during the 1960s. I've been itching to carve a bodyshell to make a slot version of one of these cars for a while, but they're so small that the only practicable option is to build one in 1:24.

Intriguing possibilities to be explored as and when.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,390 ·
One of the many post War specials constructed from Beetle and Porsche components that helped to inspire the creation of Formula Vee. Jus' gotta build a slot version soon.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,392 ·
Mark

I agree. Yes, groovy. I've got a small pile of limewood I acquired last year. It should be sufficiently dry soon to enable carving to go ahead. Knife sharpening to start in earnest later.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,394 ·
Another fairly daft idea for exploration in the near future is a Heb with its hood in the closed position. But how do I make a plausible hood? Any ideas, please?

Milliput? Fabric stuck to a frame of brass rods or paperclips?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Another fairly daft idea for exploration in the near future is a Heb with its hood in the closed position. But how do I make a plausible hood? Any ideas, please?

Milliput? Fabric stuck to a frame of brass rods or paperclips? View attachment 276695
Laurence, I love theses kinds of challenges. A severe bout of vertigo has left me under the watchful eye of my missus. Thankfully I have this to chew on while I'm incapacitated (supposedly).

Assuming you cant come up with a top to cast or modify ...

I'd think about working with a sheer nylon windbreaker, camera case, tote bag, or the like. Ya might hit the second hand store to see which might appeal more to your taste: woven or knit. I reckon I'd approach is like doping an airplane wing. My gut feeling is that a wire frame over a buck will prevent excessive sag, rather than just winging it over a wire frame.

Bear with me. Perhaps create an internal cast of a bug roof and sculpt the external portion to your satisfaction. Glue the rudimentary frame wires into relief cuts, and then dope the material down. The internal cast also negates the need for hardened or annealed wire, which makes the frame work portion easier to form/conform. I wouldnt rule out the thought that the internal cast might leave you short on the out side so that two layers of material might be required to get the profile right.

In this way you'd have a more durable arrangement (given last weeks carnage). This way it'll take a lick, rather than wadding up like origami.

A hidden hard top of sorts sporting an Armani skin. Maybe some dullcoat or sheen one way or the other ... ?

Just spitballing, I'll think more on it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Fabric stuck to a frame of brass rods or paperclips?
Esa sería mi opción, al modo de las alas de un avión RC. Aunque no se que tipo de tejido puedes encontrar.
Una alternativa es coger una mascarilla quirúrgica. Tiene tres capas: blanca interna, blanca en medio y azul por fuera. La interna y la externa tienen una buena resistencia.
Primero haz una prueba. Una vez colocada y encolada tal vez te quede arrugada. Aplicas varias capas de laca del tipo "Novavia" y sorpresa, el tejido se pone muy tenso y desaparecen las arrugas, adaptándose a la forma de la estructura.
Si algún compañero hace aeromodelismo, puede ayudar.

That would be my option, like the wings of an RC plane. Although I do not know what type of fabric you can find.
An alternative is to get a surgical mask. It has three layers: white inside, white in the middle and blue outside. The internal and external have a good resistance.
Take a test first. Once placed and glued, it may be wrinkled. You apply several layers of "Novavia" type lacquer and surprise, the fabric becomes very taut and wrinkles disappear, adapting to the shape of the structure.
If a colleague makes model airplanes, he can help.

Frederic

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,397 ·
mm and Frederic

Thank you both most kindly for your extremely useful ideas. All are excellent! I'm minded to give all your suggestions a go, and play around with this and that until I get a reasonable result.

Incidentally, we are in for heavy rain today. Mrs Grumpy is awf to commune with one of her odd chums, so I'm planning a Beetle-Porsche Fest on the Mess pretty much all day. Nothing quite like the luxury of self-indulgence when the mice are away.

My thanks again.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,399 ·
At the Le Mans Classic meeting a few years ago, I saw several new Mercs in the 'village'. All had been painted with a matte finish and, to my weary old eyes, looked unappealing and utterly horrible.

Later, both Red Bull and Ferrari adopted matte finishes for their GP cars. Equally unappealing to me.

VW did similarly during the War. Glad it never caught on...

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,400 ·
An original Airfix Beetle below that I'm advised should not be built into a slot car, which is my intention. I procrastinate, however.

Any views therefore, please, chaps? Leave as an original kit with gawping value, or build into summat a little more useful?

1381 - 1400 of 1609 Posts