SlotForum banner
1481 - 1500 of 1727 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Beetle racing is a bit of a team sport. Now there's at least 60hp between the two, nearly doubling the chance of a win. Yes? (y)

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Your Beetle needs a wash and a long drive in the country. My cat kept attacking my slot cars on the track.

I suspect the Beetle had more success in racing then most of the bigger cars in the photo.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,486 ·
Item number 2 on Mrs Grumpy's daily Command List today reads: "Pump up my bicycle tyres."

Dutifully, I extracted bicycle from garage, which isn't a remotely interesting task to report, but en route to the outside world, I noticed a cardboard box in the extreme rear of my old Beetle. Closer inspection of box revealed a complete set of Beetle pistons and barrels, Solex carb, fuel pump, unused brakepipe kit and a photo of two 911s at Prescott.

Can't remember anything about any of it. More scratchbuilding to do, therefore.

Tate Modern exhibit (?) below.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,488 ·
Uts

Many thanks. Several familiar names on that list including Ronnie Adams, who famously campaigned Jaguars years ago. His biggest success was victory on the Monte.

I met him at the start of the historic Circuit of Ireland Rally in the autumn of 1991. He was a gentle soul getting on in years, but had finally come to his senses. Yep, he was competing in a Beetle.

·
Jim Moyes
5,056 Posts
Thanks for that, UTS, (and for the photo, Trisha) it confirmed for me what I thought I had squinted. A Standard 8 and an MG Y-type! Both cars that are in my 1:1 stable.

There are also a couple of cars that I "campaigned" on the ovals in my mis-spent yoof - Daimler Conquest & Armstrong Siddeley.

A Borgward diesel? Wow, that is a new one on me.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,493 ·
Depressingly dull weather today has driven me back to Beetles, and a small job I've been meaning to do since the Romans left Britain - because they couldn't stand any more of the climate, either.

The car went around the Mess in the manner of a rampant speedboat, so I've lowered the front end, and stopped up-and-down movement of the front axle by glueing the spacers to the chassis.

Next job is switching the wireless awf. BBC Radio 3 not good 'smorn.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,496 ·
Matthew

Tintin back on his feet now. It only takes one drink to get him drunk.

Similarly, it only takes one drink to get Captain Haddock drunk, too, but the trouble is that he can never remember if that one drink is the nineteenth or twentieth.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
The photo reminds me of a relatively unknown band by the name "The Silver Beatles". Maybe you've heard of them? :)

• Haha
Reactions: HiFi

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,499 ·
A Cabriolet with an exceptionally low roof wouldn't be too difficult to model in 1:32-scale. Something different worth considering for a future project, I suppose.

1481 - 1500 of 1727 Posts