SlotForum banner
1501 - 1520 of 1737 Posts

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,501 ·
Off shopping tomorrow. Hereford's newest model shop, which appears to harbour a cache of Airfix Beetles, re-opens at 10am, which means that the 1:32-scale production line can be cranked into life once more.

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,503 ·
Sound advice, Matthew, as usual, for which I thank you most kindly. Below, the last time Haddock was approaching a dry future. Not to be repeated in my view.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Laurence,

When you walk into a hobby shop. Do you often clean them out of Airfix Beetles entirely? :)

Reactions: Trisha

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,506 ·
Remember setting off on those 'happy' family holidays years ago? Mother and father, harbouring dark thoughts of committing assault and battery, are already resigned to weeks of misery, having donned dark glasses to hide their disappointment at their children taking interest in **** and Keef's version of 'ghastly' noise pollution.

Margot has just flung her case of Roy Orbison records in the back, and little Ralph needs to get out, again, for a wee.

Mother is trying to recall the name of a divorce lawyer she met at a cocktail party back at Christmas, and father is keeping quiet because he has his telephone number on a piece of paper in his trouser pocket.

The car needs petrol, and the cash to pay for it is "in a case, somewhere..."

"And, no, you don't feel sick..."

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,507 ·
Very rum. An abbreviation of Michael in the post above has been censored yet again. Don't geddit.

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,510 ·
A tedious drive to a newly-opened local model shop today resulted in acquisition of the re-released Airfix VW Buggy. A detailed kit, and very cheap at £8.95, it might make a slot car despite its very short wheelbase.

Ah well, another project in the wings, and one VW that won't be painted in black.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
What,Trisha? ... A newly opened model shop? ... Local shop? :cool:(y)

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,512 ·
Yep, Grumpy. Models and Miniatures of Hereford have a website, too, if you'd like to look 'em up. Lots of diorama stuff and a reasonable kit selection but, alas, just one Beetle left in stock...

...so I bought it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I remember that buggy kit the first time round. I never had one, but my brother did, although I don't remember him ever building it. I love the way that it's RHD, so almost certainly represents British, but the box art completely avoids the grim reality of a vehicle with inadequate weather protection in the Land of the Long Grey Cloud :D.

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,514 ·
Pat

I drove a Beach Buggy to Le Mans, 1985. Never again. The brakes failed shortly after setting off leaving just the handbrake for retardation. The clutch went in France, the lights went out in darkness on a dual-carriageway near Rouen, and I lost count of the times I had to rebuild the carb.

En route home the throttle cable snapped. After repairing it the engine's minimum tickover speed was roughly 3500rpm, which led to wheelies being performed away from standstill.

On the Oxford by-pass in a cloudburst, the hood broke away from the windscreen and I got soaked, which helped with the fab sunstroke I acquired in France a little.

I don't know who built that heap, but he should have been charged with crimes against... me!

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Pat

I drove a Beach Buggy to Le Mans, 1985. Never again. The brakes failed shortly after setting off leaving just the handbrake for retardation. The clutch went in France, the lights went out in darkness on a dual-carriageway near Rouen, and I lost count of the times I had to rebuild the carb.

En route home the throttle cable snapped. After repairing it the engine's minimum tickover speed was roughly 3500rpm, which led to wheelies being performed away from standstill.

On the Oxford by-pass in a cloudburst, the hood broke away from the windscreen and I got soaked, which helped with the fab sunstroke I acquired in France a little.

I don't know who built that heap, but he should have been charged with crimes against... me!
Most amusing story😆
I suppose it was a friend or relatives car, otherwise see no reason to stick with the buggy. Max would have kicked the car for sure hahhaha!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Yep, Grumpy. Models and Miniatures of Hereford have a website, too, if you'd like to look 'em up. Lots of diorama stuff and a reasonable kit selection but, alas, just one Beetle left in stock...

...so I bought it. View attachment 278837
Its great to have a model-hobby shop near, unfortunately all the shops that were near to my place were closed during the pandemia☹

Now I have to drive 15km for the nearest shop,thats a 3hrs round trip for the trafick! 🤷‍♂️

Glad you have one in the neighborhood.

Cheers

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,517 ·
Forgot to mention above in the post about the Beach Buggy, that the engine also holed a piston on the Oxford by-pass. A trail of oil smoke emanated from the exhaust for the last 65 miles of the journey.

Having finally reached home I felt, and looked like, a tuning fork recently extracted from a septic tank long-overdue for emptying. No brakes, no clutch, and no hope. How we survived remains quite beyond me.

I retired to a local pub and emptied it of people and beer. And little wonder.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts

...so I bought it.
Laurence,

Don't you just love how the starter kits make you feel like a newbie again? :geek:

Cheers,
Ken

Reactions: Trisha

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,519 ·
Ken

I live in a small community of a type in which shopkeepers always like to talk and share a joke, which is nice, but... Buy a kit and there's an automatic assumption that it's for my grandchildren.

Having dispossessed the good folk of Herefordshire of such an absurd notion, they adopt an awkward stuttering mode, and a sympathetic facial expression indicating that their next question will be: "Would you like a chair and a glass of water?"

I might be senile and stupid but, unlike my grandchildren, I can still open a book without asking what the password is...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ken

I live in a small community of a type in which shopkeepers always like to talk and share a joke, which is nice, but... Buy a kit and there's an automatic assumption that it's for my grandchildren.

Having dispossessed the good folk of Herefordshire of such an absurd notion, they adopt an awkward stuttering mode, and a sympathetic facial expression indicating that their next question will be: "Would you like a chair and a glass of water?"

I might be senile and stupid but, unlike my grandchildren, I can still open a book without asking what the password is...
What's that quote I saw recently? Something along the lines of "If you think current generations are brighter than past ones, bear in mind that car handbooks used to tell you how to adjust the tappets. Now they tell you not to drink the contents of the battery".

1501 - 1520 of 1737 Posts