SlotForum banner
1521 - 1540 of 1611 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I'll never forget the first time someone called me "Sir". I was 22 and pulled into a gas station. Umm... they used to serve gas back then. The nice fellow says "Fill it up, sir?" I looked behind me. Nope... no one there. Oh crap he meant me? I was almost insulted because he called me old. :cool:

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I'll never forget the first time someone called me "Sir". I was 22 and pulled into a gas station. Umm... they used to serve gas back then. The nice fellow says "Fill it up, sir?" I looked behind me. Nope... no one there. Oh crap he meant me? I was almost insulted because he called me old. :cool:
Nothing compared the first time a nice looking lady in their 20's calls you "Sir" or when you smile at a mom(mid 40's) with her daughter(again 20's) in the elevator and the only one to smile back is the older Lady. 😪

·
Registered
632 Posts
What's that quote I saw recently? Something along the lines of "If you think current generations are brighter than past ones, bear in mind that car handbooks used to tell you how to adjust the tappets. Now they tell you not to drink the contents of the battery".
Me ha hecho gracia tu comentario. Pero se ha de reconocer que la evolución de la industria en el sector de la automoción no ayuda.
Cuando salía con mi Sherpa llevaba una mochila con herramientas y recambios. No era plan quedarme en el fondo de un barranco o en la cresta de una montaña, con la moto averiada. Aquí, que años atrás había mucha, mucha afición al trial, nunca nadie se quedo atrás por avería. Ahora, para cambiar el cable del embrague a una FGS, has de ser ingeniero.

I was amused by your comment. But it must be recognized that the evolution of the industry in the automotive sector does not help.
When I went out with my Sherpa I carried a backpack with tools and spare parts. It was not a plan to stay at the bottom of a ravine or on the crest of a mountain, with the motorcycle damaged. Here, years ago there was a lot, a lot of love for trials, no one was ever left behind due to a breakdown. Now, to change the clutch cable to a FGS, you have to be an engineer.

Frederic

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,525 ·
A pic below of Tony Levy in his 1950 Beetle at Silverstone, 1985. At this time Tony had clocked up nearly 800,000 miles in the car, and believed it to be the world's highest-mileage VW.

Upon discovering that an American, Albert Klein, had done 1.2 million miles in a Beetle, Levy moved to Mexico for the purpose of driving long distances each day with a view to claiming the outright mileage record.

All went well until an errant lorry mangled Tony's car into a heap of bent metal. The second pic below shows the car in London after restoration. A little while later, Tony sadly died without realising his ambition.

A slot version ought to be on the cards, I suppose.

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,526 ·
The familiar throng of fools are assembled for the start of a new Beetle build, and debate body colour preference without agreement or conclusion.

Captain Haddock couldn't care less as he prefers to travel by camel. They both share a similar propensity for grumpiness when liquid supplies run low. They're in good company, too. The second pic is of (left to right), Clementine Churchill, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Bell and TE Lawrence (of Arabia) in 1921.

Wouldn't mind a model of the Sphinx to go on the Mess.

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,528 ·
Thanks, Mark. Most thoughtful of you. I've seen the front view previously, but not the rear. Extraordinary creations.

Hope you enjoy your holidays, and remain safely between the hedges.

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,533 ·
Thanks for the pictures from Trinidad, Steveaca. Wonderful. It's not a part of the world I normally associate with motor sport, probably because of an absence of press coverage in Britain, which makes your pictures all the more rewarding.

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,534 ·
When Richard Noble's team took the Thrust SSC LSR car for testing in Jordan's Al Jafr desert, they noted that camel trains were a frequent hazard.

I know exactly what he means.

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,536 ·
Another extraordinary work of genius, Michael. My most grateful thanks to you for the photo above. Abfab - as usual!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Having spent more of the early 1980s around Beetle based supercar "replicas" (and dodgy kit cars in general) than was probably healthy, I'd suggest that lack of performance would have been an important safety feature in most of them

1521 - 1540 of 1611 Posts