Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hooray, succes with getting Fly brass-pinion on the driveshaft of my Cobra Daytona

But now the frigging pinion (8 teeth) doesn´t fit to the crown-gear
Doh!
What kind of crown-gear should I use? I just want my Daytona to have more acceleration and more braking.......!
(Maybe a 9 tooth-pinion will work?)
I know these questions must sound like I´m a total idiot, but I´m new at this, so plz bear with me
I´m just starting to tinker with my cars in a more serious fashion, so.......many questions on their way

Danny

·
Registered
199 Posts
The 8-teeth pinion doesn´t "go into" the plastic crown-gear. Should I replace the crown-gear for a slot-it? Will it fit onto the Revell axle? Will that make my Daytona go "better"? I´m not that much into the gear-ratios-thing. I only know that I want my car to stop when I want it to...

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
It's not just a question of ratios or the number of teeth on the gears.

The "pitch" (or in simple terms the size of the teeth) of the pinion and crown gear need to be the same. If the teeth are not meshing together properly this might be the problem.

Pitch is usually defined relative to the number of teeth of a certain size that can fit on a 1" diameter circle.

Unfortunately, I don't know the standard gear pitch on your car or the pitch of your replacement pinion. But, if they are not the same it won't work!

Check the original pinion and the replacement pinion to see if the teeth themselves look the same size

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (JohnP @ 11 Jan 2004, 11:11 PM)It's not just a question of ratios or the number of teeth on the gears. Check the original pinion and the replacement pinion to see if the teeth themselves look the same size

Hi johnP,

The teeth don´t have the same size. But isn´t that obvious as the 8-tooth pinion has fewer teeth than the Revell 10-tooth pinion?
They´re therfore bound to be bigger! Or am I completely wrong? Will my Fly 8-tooth brass-pinion fit the slot-it 28-tooth crown-gear? And what is the minimum or maximum teeth on a crown-gear that will fit my 8-tooth pinion? Or the other way round, for that matter (what is the min. or max. teeth on a pinion for a 28-tooth crown-gear)?
I just want a smooth runner

Danny

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (Intergrali @ 12 Jan 2004, 11:43 AM)not to be stupid or knocking you, but I always thought it was a smooth runner as it was.
Not really the answer I was looking for, but......

It is a smooth runner out of the box, yes, but the gearing is way to tall for my taste, therefor all these questions...

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Hi Danny

No, the teeth won't be bigger just because there are less of them. Rather, the size of the teeth should be the same but the diameter of the pinion should be smaller on a pinion with less teeth.

The key is that the teeth have to be the same size/pitch to mesh properly. It doesn't matter if the pinion has 10 teeth and the crown gear has a million teeth - as long as the pitch of the gears is the same, they will mesh with one another no problem. This is an extreme example I know but I am just trying to illustrate the principle.

Perhaps you should contact a knowledgeable retailer (someone like Pendleslot)? If you explain the problem I would expect that they could readily sort you out a set of suitable matching gears.

Regarding your point Inte, a number of people on SCI commented that although the car is smooth it tends to have sluggish acceleration and braking. I couldn't find the thread but as I recall the general consensus did appear to be that an 8 tooth pinion was the way to go. Also Danny, if you are using a standard controller it might be worth trying one with a lower resistance of around 25 ohms or better an "electronic" type to spice up the response a bit! All more expense though!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (JohnP @ 12 Jan 2004, 12:52 PM)Also Danny, if you are using a standard controller it might be worth trying one with a lower resistance of around 25 ohms or better an "electronic" type to spice up the response a bit! All more expense though!
Hey JohnP

Actually I use a PM 2044 controller.
I also read the post on SCI about the 8-tooth pinion, thats why I thought: Aha, thats what I´ll do! But they didn´t mention anything about the crown-gearing or what make the pinion should be. I just thought that if I changed the pinion everything would be hunky dory (great album by Bowie btw
). I´ll try to contact some of the retailers advertising here and see if they can help me.

·
Registered
752 Posts
OOpsy!

I just stumbled across this thread....

The best (compromise) solution that I came across, was to use an unused scalextric white nylon 9 tooth gear. It fits and the car runs quietly with better acceleration and actually has some braking effect
- The only reason I say an 'unused' pinion, is because a used one will be slightly stretched by the splines on a scalex motor, and will slip when transferred to the unsplined Revell driveshaft.

Regards,

-Rob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts