SlotForum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
I've just given up with plasticard. Poured boiling water on it and left in bowl for 3 minutes. Wrapped it around a cigar tube to get desired circular shape, and held it firmly in place with elastic bands.

Removed hours later. It immediately reverted to its flat shape and snapped in two. This has happened twice.

Presume I'm doing something wrong?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I've just given up with plasticard. Poured boiling water on it and left in bowl for 3 minutes. Wrapped it around a cigar tube to get desired circular shape, and held it firmly in place with elastic bands.

Removed hours later. It immediately reverted to its flat shape and snapped in two. This has happened twice.

Presume I'm doing something wrong?
Never had that problem, nearly all my wheel arches are plasticard and I usually just bend it into shape without heating it.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I started a Beetle version earlier today, including a V10 engine for mounting amidships.
Look forward to seeing it finished.

Here's my effort
smile.png

I'm working on a few other Super Saloons

Car Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Attachments

·
Autoavia
1,042 Posts
Autoavia

Betta and Classic have a number of special saloons' bodies in Lexan for under a tenner. Worth looking at their Website.

If your club hasn't a class for such cars, I advise that you start one.
Our classes are hardbody only except George Turner Minis. Just had the AGM and not enough existing members voted to drop an existing class to make room for another one so we have the same 12 or so classes as last year.

I believe there were at least 2 Skoda Special Saloons in period both with 2 litre sportscar chassis as the basis for the build. Sure I have some pictures somewhere from Brands Hatch Winter Series and probably from the last ever meeting of the old Formula 2 class in the eighties.

Quite a fair bit of info and pictures for special saloons and modsports here

http://www.modbase.info/home/4581692380

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
MinusR1 - that Skoda looks really cool! - great job. If you're ever down in the Manchester area on a Thursday let me know and it would be good to get the Skoda vs my Moggie in the South Manchester Clubs Thunder Saloon class
thumbsup.gif
. www.southmanchesterslotracingclub.com

Trisha - I use Amato 3D arches on my Super Saloon Cars (Vauxhall Viva and Morris Minor). They CA well to resin bodies and sand down well. Angelo does various types via Shapeways (Amato Slot Car Design).

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Trisha - boiling water is not hot enough to re-form polystyrene. Like MinusR1, I usually just bend the polystyrene cold and then glue it, but if you really want to move it about in 3D, an electric hot air gun intended for paint stripping will do the job. Be very careful or it just curls up and dies.....I've found older polystyrene salvaged from old kits or other projects is often already cracked and won't bend without breaking.

Mike

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Martin and Mike, thanks both for your invaluable advice. So much for the YouTube vid extolling the virtues of boiling H20.

Will get there in the end with my VW thundersaloon, but I'm in no hurry. Can't paint it yet anyway. Awoken to heavy rain again today so, with such a damp atmo, I'll spend the day trying to justify my existence in other ways.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Thanks John. Good idea. Will give it a go later. Incidentally,the GP Altas are still going well, and dropping oil on the track. Like to be as authentic as poss. Love 'em. Thanks kindly again.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts