SlotForum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· One petunia in a field of onions
6,433 Posts
I actually got offered A$1500 for one of my cars that isn't old but a commissioned limited run. I laughed at the guy because I thought he was having a lend of me. Told him he'd probably get it for 10% of that while enjoying the hunt on eBay. I can only assume it was a test of some kind.

· Registered
3,267 Posts
If looking for expensive slot cars why not talk to some scratch builders. Their cars most often cost more in parts that a RTR car. Maybe not $300 but certainly more than 100 and that is every one, not just an odd few.

· Premium Member
5,387 Posts
I made this one from Balsa and soldered the chassis myself.

The price of the components is not to much.. scratch build body with scratch Brass chassis Pitman 196B and Weldun Bevel Gears etc,
wheels are PCS 32 24x6 Classic Spokes from Pendle Slot Racing.
The Driver is a resin cast from Immense Miniatures which I sanded and shaped and painted, it came with different types of era heads
The toneau cover is made from my son's swimming pool vinyl, then painted with Humbroll matt enamel black.
The mirror is a bit of filler shaped as a mirror stuck on a needle then painted silver and has Alu foil on the mirror side to replicate a mirror.
Front metal window support is made from a needle bend like a staple and the window itself is made from transparent package material.

All in all the costs are not to high but the sheer amount of work to carve sand and prep the body, and to design and build the chassis makes this pretty invaluable to me..
That and it being my first Balsa car.... 300 would not be enough.

· Registered
1,560 Posts
QUOTE (dgersh @ 20 Jan 2015, 19:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>No Bob, I have enough problem writing on the lines without having to go between them!

The jury's still out on whether slots will become a real antique toy for your great grandchildren, or if, when the baby boomers die out in 20 years or so, it will all go in the trash bin without a second thought.

The high-value toys from the early 20th century seem to be contemporary high-value items for rich kids... not sure too many of the rustic toys have either survived or maintained any value, at least from that period.

Now, let's talk about Eldon...

Don

You mean the 1/24th Eldons don't you Don?!!!

· David J
3,089 Posts
Please don't forget my 'tongue in cheek' ways Jules.
Your cars are beautiful and desirable but you know how I feel about 'created' rarities and I do think you'd have to be a bit of a nutter to pay that sort of money for a nearly brand new slot car.

Do keep up the good work, fortunately there are still plenty of fools out there.
(oops I did it again)

All the best.

P.S. What ever happened to the J code 'Rusty Bullitt'?

· Registered
1,371 Posts
I've a few of them J code cars, although I didn't pay that sort of money for them, my reasoning, not that these cars would be an investment, rather I'm investing in Jules getting a British built slot car to market. I have no idea what motivated others, I am a fool, but in this case, do not feel foolish. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, maybe we should be less critical or grow thicker skins. We all talk a lot of shiite and we play with toy cars. Jason

· Registered
1,082 Posts
Hi Jason,

I can't fault you, or others that collect what they want (or can afford), I just can't do with folk who slate others off for what is a personal opinion, or choice. There's nobody here with skin thicker than mine................REALLY! It just winds me up that some are allowed to say what they like without sanction, & others are hung, drawn & quartered for typing in CAPITALS. I'm pretty sure this will be removed fairly quickly, but so be it!

· Registered
1,371 Posts
Hi Nik,
I support you right to opinion as much as DJ's and MichaelD's, I also fully support the Moderators in deleting what amounted to spamming. Like I said, either grow thicker skins or be less critical. In full support that Moderators will moderate. Michael, stop sulking, not everyone like's Transporters. Jason

· Registered
1,082 Posts
That's a given Jason, but if the thread title says what's in the tin & that doesn't interest you, why bother looking, never mind posting dispariging remarks about somebodys passion? My "argument" isn't with you Jason, so let's not have a domestic eh? I do however have an issue with DJ, who appears to be MIA right now.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.