SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'Undriveable' is a word which is thrown around alot these days...

However, to truly understand the word, first you must try a box-standard Moto GP bike.

Before you start, let me explain...

I was sitting by the letter box this morning waiting... after about an hour or so the mailman arrives and I sign for my parcel. It's quite small I think... NO! Maybe the bike was out of stock and this is just my Porsche and Slot.It stuff (see other posts for details)... I rip the box open to find my Porsche, the Slot.It stuff.... and the bike! The box is absolutly tiny and so is the bike. It's much, much smaller than I thought it would be. After a few photos I take it out of the box and examin it. Looks good, few more photos...

Ready and waiting is the simple Carrera oval which is made from the Argos Carrera sets, so almost everyone has this track (I think...). Just three straights on each side, and a 180 turn at each end. I put it on the track and go for the first corner slowly... not only did the bike deslot at a rediculously slow speed, it seemed to accelerate once it had left the track, and almost took a trip down the stairs... After another 2 minutes of running, I hadn't comleted a lap, and I was gettng impatiant. I took it back to the box and cleaned the tyres and oiled it up. BIG MISTAKE: Oil on the pinion or the back wheel gear thing, just flies out and all over the back tyre. Oh dear... Anyway, cleaned that all off and taped the tyres a bit, and it went a lot better. Still very strange to drive but better. I got the back wheel off the rails a couple of times exiting bends, but usually this was followed by a large off, or the bike just continueing in a straight line.

I then moved to the outside of the oval (having tested on the inside thinking it might need room to slide...) and the difference was night and day. Suddenly it was completeing lap after lap of consistant times. It became fun to drive and the back was sliding a little bit more and remaining in the slot.

Now I must confess. I was absolutly determined to do a review on them as standard to let everyone know how they go. But I was so disappointed that I realised I had to do something. I sourced about 15g and spread it evenly on each side, placing it at the very tips of the out rigger. I also took out the magnet.

OMG. It was great. Exactly what I wanted it to be. I could drift it out of every corner now, and the limit was easy to stay within. It was great because you know when to gun it down the straight when you hear the motor revs rise. As the bike comes round the corner, the tyre slips off the rails and looses a bit of grip. Consequently the motor revs a bit higher, and you can hear it happen. As soon as you hear this, plant the throttle and the back will swing out magnificently. Awesome.

I can't tell you how happy I am that they can be made to race well, and Carrera owners rejoice because your tracks are not on the 'bike no-go' list.

Right some final facts for you to know:

- The guide is not centred between the wheels so it can slide.
- The magnet is easily removeable. You take off the whole little black mounting thing which make the silloette even more like the real thing.
- To make them run quieter round the track, simply lay a bit of insulating (or any kind of plastic) tape under each outrigger. It must be about 1.5 inches long and parallel to the rails. Fold the first 0.5cm over and 'Robert is indeed, your mother's brother'. Silky smooth.
- For all the 'magnet brigade' keeping the magnet in with the weight make the bike handle very well. Like a magnet car almost. A very narrow, very tall one.
- My bike doesn't wheelie at all like others have said, and I was using the standard Carrera thumb controllers which I think are about 35ohm. It was okay to drive, honest...

Overall I was very pleased with the bike when modified slightly, but cannot see any use for them as standard.

I can't wait to see if anybody build a 'bike track' with large radii corners and banking. It will improve them no-end.

Erm... any questions?

I know this isn't quite like the review I envisaged but I wanted to get some feedback to you asap. I will test at Wrexham (Sport track) this weekend, and Eastcote (Ninco) Wednesday. Oh, and Preston (wood) a week Sunday. More info, including track times then.

Did I miss anything?

Lotus

PS. Wore a shirt and tie for the whole time I wrote that...

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and for all those people I promsed a review to. I will still do it. I'll complie all the parts and make one biggie. Plus pictures soon. Sorry if everythings a bit slow. I have my finals exams coming up.

Lotus

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
Sounds good.

Ross at Phoenix had one and it went terribley, I was really put of. However, your magic words of 'tune em and it'll be fine' have turned me back to 'buy one' mode.

Good review Lotus

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Sound advice.

As Gary says Ross had a go by adding more magnet but reckon he`ll go this way now if you can let Ross know on Tuesday Gary as I`m away mate

·
Registered
300 Posts
QUOTE (LMP04 @ 4 Jun 2004, 13:40)your magic words of 'tune em and it'll be fine' have turned me back to 'buy one' mode.
Thing is , we shouldn't have to. I always think a car should run "fine" out the box and fantastic if you want to tune it.
Not runs like a "Sumo Wrestler for a bus" out of the box and like a normal person
when tuned.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
sometimes we can expect too much, foulds. It has taken em 50 years to get the cars to go gr8 out of the box and look awesome, the bikes are brand new product! If all it takes is a couple of blobs of weights, i think its a great achievement.

And nice job lotus

·
Premium Member
5,398 Posts
Didn't want to say it myself but the guy has a point here. Will UK Johnnie's dad be that happy with the out of the box performance of these little gimcracks?

Bagsy I don't get the tight inner lane!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
had a go of one on wednesday at the club while it was quiet.. as usual didnt buy it and now have absolutely no intention to at all!
Not really that impressed, I'm sure it will end up on the shelf with other cars that I never knew I had like a blue lotus and a top slot Jag?

Inte

·
Registered
876 Posts
I'd be interested in reading the on-going review on more serious slot track venues. I have the Ducati and one thing I will say is that they are damn fast...in a straight line. A roughly 3 foot straight doesn't even begin to show it's speed...my track has an 8 foot straightaway and it still has more top end on hand.

However, making it turn left and right "out of the box" is not going to make folks happy...especially those brand new to slot racing - sorry, being a motorcycle rather than a car is no excuse for it's ill-handling - and the statements of adapting one's driving skills to it and/or just doing some tuning - a new person will know how to do neither and will not be very happy after spending around $250.00.

I have found that it's more at home on my banked (2/30) Carrera oval (7 foot straights) - but still requires the added weight on the runners to exit the turns. I've given up trying to get it to run on my Classic road course...even with an added magnet and weight it's not my cup of coffee (hey, I'm a Yank!). For those that have access to a drag strip, this may be it's real "home" as I said it really flies...just add some wheelie bars...

One final point, I really believe Scalextric needs to redo it's "box art" on the sets as it is very much "misleading" - the bikes DO NOT LEAN as depicted. Once again, think of someone brand new to slot racing, but very much into motorcycle racing...sees the race sets in their hobby shop with the artistic rendering of modern day racers in motion leaning thru the curves...opens the box and sees a pair of bikes that are excellent in detail...then puts in on the track and quickly finds out that after going around the first turn (if it gets around the first turn) that it does not lean!!! Yes, the "box art" is very misrepresentative of what they actually are capable of...indeed.

Scalextric has another 8 bikes they are planning to release in the future...I hope they read all the reviews/forums on their latest offering and hopefully make some changes for them...a stronger and lower magnet and also a redesign of the runners (weighted) would be a great start, especially if they could be retro-fitted to the existing models.

Scalextric has and will continue to offer great slot cars...perhaps too "over-magnatized" for some, but that's easily "fixed"...in my opinion, they offered these bikes a wee bit too soon...should've waited until this new baby was walking rather than still crawling.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Some sound points made above in several posts.

In fairness are the bikes ment to be going around banked curves as supplied in the sets?

·
Registered
876 Posts
QUOTE In fairness are the bikes ment to be going around banked curves as supplied in the sets?

Actually, since Scalextric doesn't give a description of the track in the sets, I have no idea if the "banked turns" are even included...perhaps someone with more knowledge can answer that. Also, since the Scalextric banking is only 10 degrees - that might not make them handle better compared to the much steeper Carrera's.

An aside, running on the Carrera banking does give them the "appearance of "leaning" thru the curve. Maybe Scalextric should re-think these bikes and come out with some "vintage" motorcycles from the 20's & 30's that used to race those high-banked "board" tracks back then!

·
Registered
480 Posts
I really don't understand why so many people seem to have problems with the Moto GP bikes! On my own 42 feet Carrera track - the bikes aren't made for the Scalex tracks I think - I do achieve laptimes around 6.9 seconds right ootb. I don't expect the same laptimes as my Scalex GT40s do, because a bike is not a car!

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Bike is a four letter word.

They handle like another four letter word.

(No, one starting in "s".)

Tried mine on wood last night (that's classic/SCX, Carrera, Ninco and now wood I've tried it on). Best yet as it could lap, but spun the wheel in the corner - even at very modest throttle - resulting in wearing the soft tyre on either side of the "crown".

I'm thinking of mounting it on a Ninco kart chassis.

Scott

·
Registered
714 Posts
Well done with the review!

I've noticed queries about the track to be included in sets.
My understanding is that the sets will include the 10 degree banked curves but I have no idea whether ALL the curves in bike sets will be banked.

Being wise after the event, it might have been more sensible for the sets to have been released before the individual bikes, so that all would have had the opportunity of running on banking from the word go. I believe this could well have reduced the disappointment in their inability to genuinely lean.
Timing is important.

That 'misleading artwork' is a very awkward situation, depending on whether the intention is to depict the actual contents or not. Sounds like a bad decision on someone's part that directly creates the potential for some (more) argument.

·
Slot City
331 Posts
Track contents of the Moto GP Sets:

C5000 Set 1: 2 x RADIUS 3 CURVE 22.5 deg, 8 x STANDARD STRAIGHT TRACK, 1 x RADIUS 2 CURVE 45 deg, 1 x HALF STRAIGHT, 8 x BANKED CURVE R2 45 deg

C5001 Set 2: 2 x RADIUS 3 CURVE 22.5 deg, 11 x STANDARD STRAIGHT TRACK, 4 x RADIUS 2 CURVE 45 deg, 7 x BANKED RADIUS 3 CURVE 45 deg,

C5003 Set 3: 4 x RADIUS 3 CURVE 22.5 deg, 17 x STANDARD STRAIGHT TRACK, 1 x OUTER CURVE R2 45 deg, 1 x HALF STRAIGHT, 4 x BANKED CURVE R2 45 deg, 4 x BANKED CURVE R3 45 deg

As you will see, they all contain a mixture of both banked and non-banked track (though the majority is banked).

And theres another problem with the packaging that no one has commented on - they forgot to put 'Scalextric' on the front of the boxes!

Jon,
Slot City.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Couple of points:

Firslty, I MUST stress that all conclusions I have drawn above are the result of running the bike around the simple and short Carrera oval. I have no reason to believe that they should handle differently on bigger tracks, but don't take my word for it yet. I will test at more tracks and keep the review ongoing with all my findings.

QUOTE resulting in wearing the soft tyre

I have found this problem already. I reversed the polarity of my oval and did a few more laps and found that the back wheel was 'sticking' in the slot. This is because the tyre had worn unevenly. Just slightly, but enough to notice a difference. I don't think this will cause a problem for most people, as most tracks have turns or each direction, which would even it all out.

Meco: I agree completely about the F up in the timing. It was a stupid mistake that somebody should have thought of. I'm surprised really because (unless they are superb on Sport track) it seems like no-one tested them before putting them on sale...

In regards to the track contents of the Moto GP sets. Another F up! The bikes will not go through R2 curves with any consistancy. Banked R2 maybe, but no flat R2. I found a significant difference between the two lanes of my Carrera track, which are probably R3 or R2/3.

What really needs to be done is someone to make a mould in lead which will just fit over the outriggers. Something which looks a bit slicker than two wheel balencing weights. Then everyone could buy them and everything would be equal. IMHO any event run with these must allow weight, but where do you draw the line? In a complex circuit, I think as much as you can fit on is a good amount to start with, then try and add some more...

Oh well, I'll report back with more findings later. Maybe if my sister can be persuaded to watch Big Brother in the small lounge, then I can get a proper track set up in the big lounge...

Lotus

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Looking at Jon, Slot City's useful track list, it seems that there is a very fair selection of wider radius curves provided.
Good on Scalextric and thanks Jon.

The Lotus testing (well done!) seems to bear out what I recall of previous tests, that added weight is definitely helpful and there might be a clear pointer here that Scalextric could consider producing some reasonably precise weights specifically for these bikes. If the improvement is as marked as people are saying, then it wouldn't surprise me to find that they had these waiting in the wings already. On the other hand - there is always another hand isn't there - extra weight is likely to increase tyre wear from running on the slot.

I am just wondering how much of a problem it would be for the guide position to be redesigned ever so slightly off center, enough to keep the tyres out of the slot? It wouldn't take much.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts