SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

· Registered
1,330 Posts
Now had two goes of Moto GP bikes - both running on Ninco.

One bike ran lapped the circuit reasonably well, not deslotting unless provoked, requiring a gentle approach to the bends but more importantly, manageable. This was encouraging indeed and for me, genuine surprise.

Then last Wednesday reality appeared to have kicked in. I had the opportunity to run Ecurrie Ecosse's bike. Lets put it this way, I can certainly can see where he is coming from. This bike refused to complete a lap without deslotting regardless of speed! Even when the user exercised extreme caution throughout bends, it still just hopped out of the slot! The only way it was possible to complete a lap was to drive ridiculously slowly, now I don't mind slow cars, but cornering at 1/32 walking pace!?!

James

· Registered
876 Posts
Seth - I must admit that that is the smoothest running "bike" I've seen - compared to the SCI Forum videos.

However, I must ask, what is yor fastest lap time for a slot car in comparison to the bike???

· Registered
479 Posts
Hi Da Vols,

Here are some times to compare with:

Carrera Ferrari F1(ootb): 8:38:23 - an average of 5,19 >> my fastest car
Ninco Porsche 911 Turbo(ootb): 12:12:92 - an average of 7,33
Fly Alfa 147(no magnet-weights): 12:30:06 - an average of 7,5

· Registered
876 Posts
Thank you Seth for that info - if I could get my Ducati to be that smooth on my Classic track it'd be a keeper, however, it's way too jittery for my taste.

Wonder how these Scalextric bikes ran???

· Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Just downloading the video now.

Graham tried my bike, and indeed, it was crap on the Sport track.

I replaced the magnet afterwards, and it improved, but still deslotted under any kind of pressure.

Definatly a home track thing...

Why am I writing this here? It's meant to be part two...

Oh well.

Lotus

PS. Ninco testing tomorow...

· Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Just watched the video.

I never managed to get a bike run like that, let alone stock!

Mine wouldn't run around the inside of those Carrera bends at anywhere near that speed. This combined with what others say, leads me to think that I've got a duffer... Not the best to review with, but oh well...

More later.

Lotus

· Registered
876 Posts
Seth - Don't know if it is proper etiquette to mention that "USA auction site" so I won't post the link, but if you happen to be there, just search for "motorbikes" under "slot cars" and it should pop up (at least for next 12 hrs or so). Not much of a description on them though...not even scale???

By the way, is your bike "box stock" - hard to tell from the video.

· Registered
479 Posts
Sorry for my bad english but I couldn't find the expression "box stock" in my dictionary!

If you wanna know, whether I modified my bike, the answer is no. The bike ist still in the same state as on the day I bought it.

· Registered
67 Posts
just a thought on the 3 wheel with single wheel at the back theory.

In theory the friction is equal to the coeffiecient of friction times the reaction from the track. though this isn't really the case of course, bt if the one wheel at the back was wider then the normal tyres used on cars the actual effect could be that you get better traction as the tyre and wheel would deform less. though some of the tyre woud be on the rails anyway. if your only having one whee it would be better to have a larger wheel with a lower gear, this wouldgive you a bigger footprint

· Premium Member
7,856 Posts
I oh so nearly made a MotoGP purchase last week whilst on Guernsey. My conscience was pricking me and making me think that I really should try one of these 'half-a-car' thingies before venturing anymore of my opinions.

I was tempted.

I resisted.

Then I found the Model Railway exhibition on the island and there the very helpful chappy had a small figure of eight Sport set up.

He also had MotoGP in stock... with a demonstrator.

Thank the memory of Great Aunt Betsy I didn't buy one the day before.

Deslotted at slow speed.

Deslotted at what passes for high speed with a bike and was sloooow.

One word.

Four letters.

CARP.

· Premium Member
7,856 Posts
Thanks, but I'll pass.

I should point out (I should but will I?) that the helpful chappie showed how to make the moped successfully negotiate the standard radius curves at one end of the circuit by lifting the track and 'banking' it, so perhaps these should be sold with a rider (oh, you're funny man) that they should ONLY be used on banked corners.

I just can't see these novelties making for droves of contented purchasers. Not when the average punter is going to set the track up on his average carpet; with all the subtle elevations that introduces.

I give them two years in the catalogue. No more.

· Registered
2 Posts
I have been running these "bikes" on my 50 foot Carrera road course with four 180 deg curves, one 60 deg dogleg, one 120 deg curve and two 90 deg curves (all unbanked) which from what I've been reading is not the optimum setup for these "bikes". After experimenting around for a few weeks I have stuck a small piece of wheel balance weight under the fairing and found that I could lower the stock magnet by sliding it toward the motor which would lever magnet down giving more grip to account for the lower magnetic properties of my Carrera track. Sliding the magnet over will bow the bottom of the fairing a bit so be careful if you do it. After performing these two minor mods I'm getting good performance from these bikes on my track. I do wonder if Scalextric actually tested them on a Carrera track or any others because they should have provided an optional stronger magnet or the ability to lower the stock magnet to account for tracks with less magnetic attraction. That's it for now, time to go for a ride in the mountains.

· Registered
265 Posts
Okayyy, I finally got to check one of these bikes out on the P.C.o.D. at nearly $50.00u.s. it could at least try to stay on the track. Fast in the straights? Nah, mediocre at best (being kind here). Lotus, "undriveable" is indeed the correct term here. The great sound of the out-riggers scraping along the track was a sad commentary on what is arguably a very good looking "shelf queen". While Scaley did a fine job on the fit and finish, the functionality simply isn't there. Too bad, really, as I was looking forward to maybe one or two of them for the stable. For this kind of cash I suppose the die-cast is a better choice for the shelf. Perhaps the worst was that My Carrera T-bird actually cornered better. This car is a "parader" only and only technically a slot-car. (Got it for the blonde driver and it was cheap.) Scaley, are you reading these posts? Lotus showed just how far one must go to get a lap out of these beautiful static models. I had to see for myself before commenting. Glad it wasn't mine.

· Registered
124 Posts
Was this on Scaly Sport track?? All the reviews I have read about are on anything but Scaly Sport and was just wondering how it ran on the track it would have been mainly designed for.

The bikes do seem to be really disapointing though, and they had so much potential as well.

· Registered
265 Posts
Sorry I left that out, yes, The P.C.o.D. is sport track, on a very flat, level table. Check it out at: http://www.paperclipofdoom.com/
Also: http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/v179/H...ip%20of%20Doom/

There is also an article on the Gaugemaster site about old #6 (a fine testbed) at:
http://www.gaugemaster.co.uk/gt40mod.html

#6 is one of the fastest veterans on the track, though lately it has been showing it's age. (Soon to need a third new chassis). Seems the front axle support struts are the weak points.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.